Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

What made you choose a Blackwing and what else did you consider?

Just shows how popular they still are. Biggest thing that the M3 got over the the 4BW are tunability (can load a canned tune on the fly), the S58 is just heads and shoulders over the LF4 engine. But BMW in true BMW fashion screws it up by nickel and diming buyers with the packages and then trying to make pay subscription for things that the car should have came with clear and free (think they might have stopped that idea now but imagine paying a monthly subscription to be able to use your seat heater?).
That seat heater subscription idea was so hilarious

I wouldn't complain. I know the bimmercode peeps would be unlocking that stuff a few years after it was introduced lol
The concept is that it would all be over the air updates to an encrypted ECU.

The concept is that it would all be over the air updates to an encrypted ECU.
I still feel someone would inevitably figure it out. The caveat being you'd likely forfeit your warranty for tampering. Less of an issue after the warranty period is over

I wanted a BW for the acceleration. I have had 2 Camaro's, a Corvette, a CTS-V coupe, and an ATS-V coupe. I'm not interested in top speed, but when entering an interstate, the ability to accelerate into the traffic is important. Especially when there is someone who doesn't want to let you in. It is satisfying to watch them disappear behind you. I am 84 years old. Not many pleasures left in life. But the 5BW is going to be one of them.

For me it was either keep the SS for the rest of my life or something with a V on it. I remember the maroon concept and thinking what it will take for me to get one. Had discussions with my dealer in late 2020. When Feb 1 rolled around I was ready! Although I didn't get online and lock in the first, I am still 81-0205.

1. After cancelling my C8 order started out wanting a Nissan GTR. Then discovered car did not have a surround camera system and can only be worked on by a Nissan dealership authorized to work on GTR's.

2. Next look was for a BMW M5 or Audi RS7. Discovered any dealer who had one in stock wanted a huge ADM. No one would order a stripped down version for MSRP.

3. Found a in state dealer who would order a Blackwing for MSRP and the rest is history.

Same as what everybody else is saying.

Without a manual I wouldn't have *any* interest in it. None.

BMW is a competitor, but sadly I've hit my lifetime quota of BMWs. I owned ONE--that's enough. I loved the way it drove, the ergonomics, the controls, everything dynamic about it (except perhaps the rubbery shifter). The endless check engine lights and failures were demoralizing. The M3 is scary ugly but I might even be able to get over that if BMW didn't build disposable cars.

"6-spd and V8, end of story."
Hard to argue with that! As such, I also thought about a Mustang, perhaps the Mach 1. Just like the BW5 better. Would have preferred a 2-door, but you can't have everything.

Honestly, I feel like Honda is missing the boat here. The Acura Legend was a great car back in the day. Not the performer that the BW4 or BW5 are, but I wonder what a modern Legend could be. 2-door, 6-cylinder, good mix of performance and comfort. A modern version of the Legend would be the archetype of what I'm looking for at this point in my life.

As for what else I "did consider," that's not the correct verb tense. I am "considering" (present tense) a few other cars. Not direct competitors, but complementary cars.

I'll buy a BRZ before this model cycle is done, when it's more available, it is a FANTASTIC car. I loved the old version, even with the underwhelming engine. The Bronco, which I just bought, is a surprisingly simple and satisfying drive. Maybe a Civic Si/Acura Integra for a fun & practical daily driver.

Just a nice selection of manual transmission vehicles in the next 5-10 years while I can still get them. Also thinking about family (daughters, nephew, niece) who may need used cars at a family discount and some encouragement to drive a manual. :) Then I'll go electric when that market is much more mature.
We are car spirit brothers apparently. I'm enjoying the manual as long as I can. Got the 5BW and love it. Also, got a BRZ Limited six speed a few months ago and man, what a freaking fun car to zip around town in. Obviously, the 5BW is on a different level, but the nimbleness, immediacy, light weight, build quality, etc. of the BRZ, especially for $30kish is just crazy. I can even fit my 4 year old boy and 1 year old boy in the back (not quite as comfy as the 5BW, but whatev) and they love riding around in it.

Also, still own my '10 C6 ZR1 after 11.5 years.

I'd be game if Honda came out with a legit sports car (NSX and Type R are aight, but don't make me just gotta have it), ala S2000 again. Had one of those and it was fun.

As far as the OP's question (for anyone still with me :D ), the manual, blown V8, and new car is what got me to the 5BW. I jumped and got one of the 250 res cars so I've had mine over 10 months and it's still a joy to drive. What a capable, comfy, and fast as hell car. Ran 11.34 at 128mph bone stock in it a few months ago. Then, put it in tour mode and my 74 year old Mom could doze off in the back during the relaxing drive back home.

If it wasn't for the manual, I wouldn't have been interested at all. Never fell for the V3 in the slightest.

It had to be a new car, a sedan as I
have wagon and roadster covered, had to be a manual trans.

That slimmed down the list very quickly.

I don't like the new M3 or it's $12k higher price for less of a driver's car.

I also waited most of my life to be a designer at GM and got Cadillac of all studios. So it was nice to own a product I was proud of from my employer.

So in the end, it's like there was no other car for me.
Do you ever come to Cars and Coffee at Pasteiner's on Saturday morning (8-10) at 14/Woodward? If you haven't I highly, highly recommend it!

For me my number one criteria in a car is manual transmission. Having a bit of practicality has become a priority as well. And of course, want something sporty. That meant my options as I saw it were BMW M3 or CT4 V BW. Every review I’ve watched gives the nod on driving feel to the Cadillac. And the BMW is ugly as hell.

How about y’all?
Manual, V8, power, rarity, looks, YouTube reviews, magazine articles, last of its kind

For me it was about the manual trans, v8, practicality, AND the fact it is more than track capable. I previously had a 6gen 1LE as my track toy and a 392 charger as my daily. I had big plans to up that to a hellcat and a ZL1 1LE, then last spring my wife and I decided to start a family. Once we had my son I quickly realized I didn’t want a third car I could never drive (work from home, put 4500 miles on Camaro last year and most was to/from/on a track). I sold my cars and ordered a 5V blackwing and started waiting like everyone else. One day a friend called and a friend of his was selling his manual fully loaded 5V for msrp and within two weeks I flew out to pick up my car lol. I briefly considered a f8x m3 and actually had a loaded 4V BW I took over allocation on but both of those would have been interim cars. Nothing else checked the same boxes as Blackwing or was considered as a long term solution. In the future I’d love to add a pdk GT car or a c8 that could dual purpose as a track toy/something fun for the wife to drive but I honestly can’t see myself selling the BW. This is the first time in my adult life I’ve actually been content with a vehicle.

Do you ever come to Cars and Coffee at Pasteiner's on Saturday morning (8-10) at 14/Woodward? If you haven't I highly, highly recommend it!
Yep, I was there this last Saturday with my Black wing, the week before with my Saab.

This is just a rehash of what I've said in various places on here already but:

Came from an X3M with an E30 tune which was 610-620whp. I wanted a mid sized car instead of a SUV with a manual and HP didn't matter as much. Biggest issue I had with the X3 was that the sport seats hurt my back even after just a short time in the vehicle. Fairly odd issue as I've never had any seat cause me this much immediate discomfort.

Naturally I wanted the M3 and I was in the process of talking to various dealerships out of state when I realized that the M3 base seats were the same sport seats as the X3M. I wasn't interested in the buckets at the time so I had to hold off on that. I didn't want the older M2 comp so the only option was the CT4. This was back in September of 21 and the M3s I was looking at didn't have markups and if they did they were 1k to 2k at most. On the flip side there were only 5 CT4 BW on Autotrader in a manual but luckily 2 of them did not have markups. So I grabbed a CT4 and lucked out with the seats as I find them very comfortable.

Overall I like the car and consider it a good driver's car but I won't keep it for long. I put 22-24k miles on my vehicles a year so I'm usually looking to dump them after a couple of years. I'd also say the overall quality of the car is average at best. I've also had what I'd classify as poor overall service experience. I'm a bit interested in the new M2 and if I go that route I'll try the carbon buckets this time around.

Why I picked cage 5BW: I considered a Lexus Sport sedan... briefly. It was a lot more expensive. In the end, I knew that I would never be satisfied with anything but a Cadillac. There is a reason why, when people want to compare something to the best, they say "It's the Cadillac of ..."

I have a 911 Carrera T for weekend driving and I was looking for a 'fun' daily driver to replace a Macan GTS.

Candidates were RS6 Avant (with $50K ADM it's just not a $200K car, could not get over reliability reputation), Merc AMG Wagon V8 (no longer available new, auto only), M3 Comp X (ugly, auto, also potentially disposable like the Audi), Golf R (boring, haptic controls are awful, check engine lights for days). I'm not enough of a preferred customer to be permitted an M5 CS which is also auto only.

At the end of the day I realized what I really wanted was my V2 CTS-V Wagon back. Although I don't have the wagon utility any more, the Blackwing is everything I loved about it taken to the next level. I love the V8 sound, power/tq, the tremec shifter, magneride. I also love the fact that no-one knows what it is and it has 0 pretension. Don't love the fuel consumption and size of the fuel tank :LOL:

Why I picked cage 5BW: I considered a Lexus Sport sedan... briefly. It was a lot more expensive. In the end, I knew that I would never be satisfied with anything but a Cadillac. There is a reason why, when people want to compare something to the best, they say "It's the Cadillac of ..."
Probably the best compliment that I ever received on my Harley. “That looks like the Cadillac of Harleys.”

Attachments

• D1477658-8EE3-426A-83B8-0C83EEA0C78E.jpeg
    D1477658-8EE3-426A-83B8-0C83EEA0C78E.jpeg
    1,021.7 KB · Views: 81
  • A2DBCD23-6E72-4A9B-A169-9C81CDD2E43F.jpeg
    A2DBCD23-6E72-4A9B-A169-9C81CDD2E43F.jpeg
    396.6 KB · Views: 78

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed