Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

What made you choose a Blackwing and what else did you consider?

This is just a rehash of what I've said in various places on here already but:

Came from an X3M with an E30 tune which was 610-620whp. I wanted a mid sized car instead of a SUV with a manual and HP didn't matter as much. Biggest issue I had with the X3 was that the sport seats hurt my back even after just a short time in the vehicle. Fairly odd issue as I've never had any seat cause me this much immediate discomfort.

Naturally I wanted the M3 and I was in the process of talking to various dealerships out of state when I realized that the M3 base seats were the same sport seats as the X3M. I wasn't interested in the buckets at the time so I had to hold off on that. I didn't want the older M2 comp so the only option was the CT4. This was back in September of 21 and the M3s I was looking at didn't have markups and if they did they were 1k to 2k at most. On the flip side there were only 5 CT4 BW on Autotrader in a manual but luckily 2 of them did not have markups. So I grabbed a CT4 and lucked out with the seats as I find them very comfortable.

Overall I like the car and consider it a good driver's car but I won't keep it for long. I put 22-24k miles on my vehicles a year so I'm usually looking to dump them after a couple of years. I'd also say the overall quality of the car is average at best. I've also had what I'd classify as poor overall service experience. I'm a bit interested in the new M2 and if I go that route I'll try the carbon buckets this time around.
I have a CT4-V Blackwing with the upgraded seats and like them. But they are definitely firm. By comparison, I sat in a 2022 M4 with the base sport seats and found them much more plush and cushioning. I would compare my Caddy seats to the BMW carbon buckets from a firmness standpoint (thankfully Cadillac excluded protrusion between the legs).

Thanks, 100% internal cables and lines. I designed them myself.
I noticed. I've built a couple choppers over the years. No such thing as bolt on, as many here could probably attest to as well as it is equally part of car modifications.

Yep, I was there this last Saturday with my Black wing, the week before with my Saab.
Great, hope to see you this Saturday if you make it! What color is your BW? You have a 4 or a 5? Sorry I can't recall and didn't see it in your profile.

For me it was about the manual trans, v8, practicality, AND the fact it is more than track capable. I previously had a 6gen 1LE as my track toy and a 392 charger as my daily. I had big plans to up that to a hellcat and a ZL1 1LE, then last spring my wife and I decided to start a family. Once we had my son I quickly realized I didn’t want a third car I could never drive (work from home, put 4500 miles on Camaro last year and most was to/from/on a track). I sold my cars and ordered a 5V blackwing and started waiting like everyone else. One day a friend called and a friend of his was selling his manual fully loaded 5V for msrp and within two weeks I flew out to pick up my car lol. I briefly considered a f8x m3 and actually had a loaded 4V BW I took over allocation on but both of those would have been interim cars. Nothing else checked the same boxes as Blackwing or was considered as a long term solution. In the future I’d love to add a pdk GT car or a c8 that could dual purpose as a track toy/something fun for the wife to drive but I honestly can’t see myself selling the BW. This is the first time in my adult life I’ve actually been content with a vehicle.
Congrats on landing one! Are you in metro Detroit? If so, it would be great to connect - maybe we can start a local BW group. I know of a couple of other guys. Feel free to PM me. Thanks!

Great, hope to see you this Saturday if you make it! What color is your BW? You have a 4 or a 5? Sorry I can't recall and didn't see it in your profile.
This saturday is an Blackwing drive to the Lansing Plant in the morning. So I wont make this week's.

I have a Blaze Orange 4 6mt.

Congrats on landing one! Are you in metro Detroit? If so, it would be great to connect - maybe we can start a local BW group. I know of a couple of other guys. Feel free to PM me. Thanks!
Yessir, sure am.
This saturday is an Blackwing drive to the Lansing Plant in the morning. So I wont make this week's.

I plan to join that drive as well, see you bright and early lol.

I was coming from a Genesis G70 6MT, which is a fantastic car except down on power because the manual could only be had with the 2.0T. And Genesis discontinued the 6MT for 2022.

My basic requirements were 1) manual, 2) not FWD, and 3) 4-doors. There are currently only 5 cars on the market that meet that criteria: both Blackwings, M3, WRX, and Golf R. The WRX and M3 are ugly, the Golf R has that awful capacitive touch interior, so that leaves the Blackwings. 5BW was out of budget, so we are left with the 4BW. Which, if I am choosing based on attributes, would be the one I chose anyway even if the others didn't have their fatal flaws.

Nice! Enjoy the drive, and tell those guys to get their act together LOL

So for me the selling point is the Manual Transmission, In 2020 I purchased a new BMW M5 Comp and loved it........except it was a bit boring to drive, even with the paddle shifters. Current M3/M4 are a bit too ugly and harsh for me. If I could get a current new M5 with a manual, I would own one because everything else about the car was pure class in my opinion. Being a Motor-Cycle racer all my life I need lots of power and a manual, so I ordered CT5-BW on June 17th, 2021 and am still waiting at 3400. Purchased a Mustang Mach-1 manual for the mean time, and its a blast, I just want/need a four door sleeper and CT5-BW manual in Black/Black is it for me. Just wish it would get here!!!!

your SS up for sale still? I think I mentioned I'd buy it from you lol I was joking at the time but now.. Maybe
Found out it is now on Autonation Chevy lot in Clearwater, FL = clean low mile SS if interested...

Found out it is now on Autonation Chevy lot in Clearwater, FL = clean low mile SS if interested...
I bought an RC F.. Don't really like it lol but I'm stuck with it for at least a month and your car will probably be gone. Deal was just too good to pass on

Currently I'm driving a 19 Audi RS-5, which is very nice, but not manual, and the ride is quite stiff. The roads out here are not that good. Great track car, but for a daily driver not optimal. I saw some review videos of the CT5-V BW back in 2021 and learned about the magnetic ride control and was sold. I tried to get one in 21, but my local dealer in Las Cruces basically told me don't even waste your time ordering.

Times appeared to have changed, and I've started the order process with the same dealer since it seems odds are better now. Praying for an allocation.

Anyone wanna buy a 19 RS-5 with HRE wheels? :cool:

-Ray

Currently I'm driving a 19 Audi RS-5, which is very nice, but not manual, and the ride is quite stiff. The roads out here are not that good. Great track car, but for a daily driver not optimal. I saw some review videos of the CT5-V BW back in 2021 and learned about the magnetic ride control and was sold.

-Ray

This may not be a concern but if a more comfortable ride is one of the items you're looking for you may not be that impressed. The 2 RS5 I've been in definitely have a softer suspension and handle road imperfections better than the 4/5BW.

Interesting, thanks for the response. I hope I can get the opportunity to test drive a 5BW to see.

Otherwise, the allure of the V8 and manual are still out there.

Cheers!

I hope I can get the opportunity to test drive a 5BW to see.
Some of the non-BWs have the MagneRide.

I wasn't able to drive a CT4-V Blackwing before placing my order, but a found a preowned non-BW CT4-V to test. Specifically took it over railroads tracks and stuff. It was waaaay more comfortable than my '18 WRX STI.

This may not be a concern but if a more comfortable ride is one of the items you're looking for you may not be that impressed. The 2 RS5 I've been in definitely have a softer suspension and handle road imperfections better than the 4/5BW.
We must have had very different experiences as the mag ride Caddy's are world's better than the very firm RS5 suspension. It's not even a comparison, so I'm at a loss for why you felt the RS5 suspension was so compliant?

Biggest is obviously the manual, especially on the 5BW. Its basically the only reason I want the car, a competitive manual V8 sports sedan in todays age is just something I didn't think I'd see again.

That being said what I really want is an AWD manual V8 wagon but those sure don't exist. I could settle for an M5/RS6/E63S but those all scare me for maintenance after warranty and because there automatic only, there will always be something faster and better over the horizon.

The Blackwing with the manual is the end of the line, something I know I will absolutely love and never want to sell just like my '19 Z06. Its been a year now and still no allocation, I know I'm close but the goat rodeo is starting to take its toll.

Hopefully I get a phone call sooner rather then later. I thought last week with '23 allocations released would be my time but not yet. I may just go buy that M5 or a Hellcat or something that I can have now. However I'm pretty sure I'd get a phone call as soon as I did that so maybe thats not a bad idea.

Either way I'm trying to hold out, I've gone through 5 cars in the last 12 months while waiting for this Blackwing, whats a 6th?

Biggest is obviously the manual, especially on the 5BW. Its basically the only reason I want the car, a competitive manual V8 sports sedan in todays age is just something I didn't think I'd see again.

That being said what I really want is an AWD manual V8 wagon but those sure don't exist. I could settle for an M5/RS6/E63S but those all scare me for maintenance after warranty and because there automatic only, there will always be something faster and better over the horizon.

The Blackwing with the manual is the end of the line, something I know I will absolutely love and never want to sell just like my '19 Z06. Its been a year now and still no allocation, I know I'm close but the goat rodeo is starting to take its toll.

Hopefully I get a phone call sooner rather then later. I thought last week with '23 allocations released would be my time but not yet. I may just go buy that M5 or a Hellcat or something that I can have now. However I'm pretty sure I'd get a phone call as soon as I did that so maybe thats not a bad idea.

Either way I'm trying to hold out, I've gone through 5 cars in the last 12 months while waiting for this Blackwing, whats a 6th?

It's worth the wait, trust me. I'm lucky enough to be coming up on a year of ownership next month with 5,000 very enjoyable miles to date as a weekend/evening cruiser.

A car that lacks a lot of the chassis and suspension sophistication, but would still be fun and a good practice for the Blackwing is a Challenger six-speed hellcat. You can practice banging the gears in the Hellkitty Challenger so you're ready when the Blackwing comes in. :)

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back