Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

What made you choose a Blackwing and what else did you consider?

Seth

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT4-V Blackwing 46-404
For me my number one criteria in a car is manual transmission. Having a bit of practicality has become a priority as well. And of course, want something sporty. That meant my options as I saw it were BMW M3 or CT4 V BW. Every review I’ve watched gives the nod on driving feel to the Cadillac. And the BMW is ugly as hell.

How about y’all?

On my list was a weird cross section of cars...

C8 Z06

Audi RS6 Avant

Camaro ZL1 1LE (I have a SS 1LE currently that I track)

BMW M5 Comp

Had a deposit on the Avant, but dropped it when I got a chance to see one run AutoX. Turns out a 5,000lb car eats 200TW tires with abandon.

Still have a deposit on a C8Z.

I went with the BW5 because I hoped it was essentially a ZL1 with a nicer interior. I love the Alpha chassis. I think it's the best work the GM engineers have ever done.

For me my number one criteria in a car is manual transmission. Having a bit of practicality has become a priority as well. And of course, want something sporty. That meant my options as I saw it were BMW M3 or CT4 V BW. Every review I’ve watched gives the nod on driving feel to the Cadillac. And the BMW is ugly as hell.

How about y’all?
I originally wanted his and hers LT4s until Cadillac released pricing. Ultimately, it was between those same 2 for me as well. Deciding factors were MSRP for the BW vs $10k ADM for the M3 and the fact that I love my ZL1 1LE.

I refuse to deal with overengineered German cars that have either fatal engine flaws (Cough BMW), or ridiculous prices for what you get.

I was hoping Genesis would come out with an M3 competitor, but they canceled the project. After owning a Genesis G70 for 3 years, I knew I wanted something more special, sportier and still reliable and easy to repair and maintain.

Pretty much the only two options were the Lexus IS 500 or the Cadillac CT4 BW. While I love the sound of V8s, it was hard to ignore the lackluster reviews of the IS 500 and the huge praise the CT4 BW was getting. It was in the right price range, was a platform with potential and reliability and the last of its kind... So I knew about 1.5 years ago, that the CT4 BW was the car I needed to save up for. Placed my order in Dec and just got the car on Tuesday.

Tonight was the first night I took the car on the highway and it immediately reaffirmed my confidence in the car; it's amazing to drive even at the speed limit (A special thing not many cars get right), it's the right balance of luxury and sporty, it really does shrink around you like few cars can, and I cannnot wait until I go 501 miles, because I'll be trying out the redline on a daily basis.

I had been sold on an '18+ E63S Wagon for quite a while, until COVID made the used ones go back above $100k again.

I eventually came around to the 5BW after watching/reading extremely favorable reviews, and knowing that it's a manual (have never owned a 2-pedal car), likely more reliable, better-riding, more fun, simpler interior interface, and the same price new as a 30-50k mile E63. I also think it'll hold its value better.

I also wanted a Giulia QV but they're simply too unreliable for a daily/family transport IMO.

Biggest "needs" for me were manual transmission and four doors for the kids. Being in BMW M3's the last 10+ years I naturally looked at the G80 M3. I hate it in pictures, it's grown on me in person. However dealers are quoting very long lead times and the used ones on lots are more than asking price.

I cross shopped the 4BW, put a deposit on one thinking nothing of it....and somehow a few months later the dealer had one available. I purchased it on a whim, if you can call a $60K+ purchase a whim. Prior to this I had never driving a Caddy anything, let alone a 4BW; only viewed online videos/reviews.

1300 miles later I'm very happy with my 4BW. I think I made the right choice in trying something different than German competitors.

Theres nothing manual out there to go against the 5BW. But between the M3 and 4BW, I was in that dilemma. I can get over the front end of the M3 but what got me is the price difference. BMW will nickel and dime you for every option and they know what are the popular things people want. So they split those stuff across 3 different packages and forces you to buy them if you want ventilated/heated seats, HUD, etc. Base price on a M3 is pretty much the high end/every option for a 4BW, so theres that.

I had been sold on an '18+ E63S Wagon for quite a while, until COVID made the used ones go back above $100k again.

I eventually came around to the 5BW after watching/reading extremely favorable reviews, and knowing that it's a manual (have never owned a 2-pedal car), likely more reliable, better-riding, more fun, simpler interior interface, and the same price new as a 30-50k mile E63. I also think it'll hold its value better.

I also wanted a Giulia QV but they're simply too unreliable for a daily/family transport IMO.
While nearly all car prices are up bc of Rona Mercedes stopping production of v8 AMGs definitely also contributed to the used ones getting crazy

After 2 1/2 years, I was ready to move on from my 7spd manual C7 Grand Sport. I got the itch for a new car. Checked out and test drove the LC500 at Sewell in Fort Worth. I wanted the BW but heard it was nearly impossible to get one. Then one day in January while I was on Facebook, a buddy of mine told me that if I did not get the CF1 and CF2 package I could probably get a BW before summer.. Contacted Dustin and the rodeo began. My car arrived on the June 2nd, and is currently getting ceramic coated @Ten Flat as I type.

For me I only considered an M3/4 as they’re the only other luxury car with a manual that will fit my wants and needs. I had an m2 competition before my gt350 so was heavily leaning towards what’s familiar vs Cadillac which is a new brand for me.

I think the Cadillac is a bit better looking exterior wise(interior goes to the BMWs), but at the end of the day I wanted something more rare and limited which these are. I also figured if I ever want a g80/g82 m3/4 they’re literally going to be out almost the entire decade with an imminent LCI to probably fix that grill. The reviews for these blackwings helped a ton too especially on YouTube. My CT4V BW is almost here so curious to see how I’ll like it, but that 5 BW is calling me as well 😅

After I got away from driving tow vehicles suitable for pulling race car trailers as my daily driver, I ordered a 2016 Audi S4. It was a manual with a supercharged V6 and I loved that car. But I needed a bigger back seat so I moved to a S6 which is a great, fast luxury car. While gorgeous and a wonderful trip car, it simply didn't provide the engagement the S4 provided. So I started looking and a new M3 along with a used S4 were at the top of the list. The M3 back seat was a little marginal plus I wanted the combination of a manual with a supercharger. Much better throttle response than a turbo motor at highway speeds. So manual + supercharger + adult size back seat = 5BW.
I have owned a bunch of GM cars over the years but no Cadillac if you discount the 1963 hearse with a Earl Schieb Gold paint job we had in the early 70's to haul go-karts to races. Drove pretty well but brake fade was a real issue if you hustled it too hard. :)
If I were looking today, I might just have to forgo the supercharger and back seat and take a serious look at the 2023 Toyota Supra when it becomes available with a manual. I know people love or hate the looks but I like it.

It had to be a new car, a sedan as I
have wagon and roadster covered, had to be a manual trans.

That slimmed down the list very quickly.

I don't like the new M3 or it's $12k higher price for less of a driver's car.

I also waited most of my life to be a designer at GM and got Cadillac of all studios. So it was nice to own a product I was proud of from my employer.

So in the end, it's like there was no other car for me.

There's nothing new I was cross shopping. Had been looking for a CTSv3, ATSV, 997 911 turbo, c7z or zl1 1le. the market is so inflated though it pushed me toward a new car instead. This is the only one that was within my price range, rwd, manual and will likely hold or increase its' value.

How about y’all?

I’m in a similar boat. My short car history has been 2001 BMW 330i 5MT → 2016 Camaro SS 6MT → 2016 BMW M3 6MT, so naturally I was between a G80 M3 and CT5-V Blackwing. But given the looks of the M3, how amazing the LT4 sounds, the most likely better driving experience of a Blackwing, and of course just how rare and special the CT5-V Blackwing is, there was little consideration left. I made up my mind probably 1.5 years ago already. V8 + manual == only one choice today in a new car.

How about y’all?
I don't have a Blackwing. I do have a V2 Wagon with a manual transmission and that was what I wanted in a practical, go fast vehicle. Mothing more practical than a wagon with a supercharged V8! I enjoy reading the Blackwing news here but I'll probably not buy one as I don't plan to sell my VWagon or any of my Corvettes anytime soon. Have fun with the Blackwings.

Very similar story. Sold my 2015 Audi R8 manual and placed an order on a E63 Wagon in June of 2021. By August M-B announced that engine would not make it to the US in 2022. Narrowed it down to RS6 Avant and CT5-V BW and, ultimately, the manual was the tipping point. Placed my order in August of 2021 and received the car seven months later. Prior to my R8 I had a manual 2012 CTS-V Wagon. Very happy with my decision to get the CT5-V BW.

We have to have manuals in our sports cars, so the choices out there are pretty slim right now. We have a 911 T with a manual and a Ford Focus ST with a manual. We've owned BMW M cars, but don't love the manuals (too rubbery) in those cars. We both really wanted a very high horsepower V8 (NOT a Corvette) with a manual, and we were down to a Challenger Hellcat and the 5BW. We rented a Hellcat Redeye on Turo for a week and my wife HATED the car. Plus Dodge stopped making manual Hellcats in 2021. End of story. My wife loved the idea of the 5BW. It's a combined muscle, sports and luxury car. What's not to like? We both love everything about the car, but especially the transmission, sound and immediate torque at any RPM range. We are very happy purchasers!

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back