Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

What made you choose a Blackwing and what else did you consider?

I wanted manual, V8, rear seat for my 2 boys, AND a factory warranty.

I first considered a c8, but since its lacking 2 of my 4 requirements, it was out.
I then looked at a zl1 camaro. The rear seat was even worse than my old 14 camaro. So that was out.
I briefly considered an SS sedan but the crazy prices for a clean manual and lack of factory warranty ruled those out. Same with any decent V2.

I had a 2015 SS sedan (auto) that I traded for a 2017 6mt SS when they had a 30% off sale. My ‘17 SS was totaled so I took the proceeds from the insurance (which was more than I paid for it new) and bought a 2018 CTS-V at a deep $15k discount.

I really didn’t have my eye on anything else but the Blackwing. I thought it would offer the best of both worlds, the LT4 from my V with the 6mt from the SS. I ordered mine March 2021 and figured it would be 6, maybe 9 months, maybe a year even. I was in no rush.

I had a feeling it was about to turn into a shitshow mid summer last year so I sold my V in June for almost what I paid for it new while the market was high. Figured I could drive my beater for as long as necessary. The prospect of actually securing a Blackwing seemed uncertain at best so I ordered a 2022 M5 at the end of July just in case. My local BMW dealer had a modifiable build and the offered it to me at $2k off MSRP with no add ons. They gave me the discount because the salesman told me upon my initial contact that they had an allocation when in fact they just put my name on their list. When he couldn’t produce an order number for me, I thanked them and said I was in no mood for games after being part of the goat rodeo for 4 months (4 months lol. So näive). They had my allocation the next day and the sales director took $2k off for my trouble. That’s how you treat a customer. But I digress.

6 months later I took delivery of my M5 and the rest is history. If it were available, I probably would have ordered an E63 AMG wagon but we all know that story.

As for the Blackwing, I never canceled my order and it’s been 15 months. My ‘22 order canceled itself and I’ll probably convert it to a ‘23 to stay first on my dealers list. Which btw means nothing because they had 3 CT5 Blackwings that they ordered for stock over the past year and marked them all up $25k. I should have just placed an order with Sewell last year and I’d probably have mine by now.

Today, with the price increases, interest rates rising and the fact that I can hear the M5 depreciating while it sits in my garage, it feels like the BW may no longer happen. That, combined with the fact that my wife’s lease will mature early next year makes it all but an impossibility at this point. Unless she wants a manual Blackwing lol (she doesn’t). It’s a shame but it’s the world we live in these days. I’m just fortunate to have these options so I can’t complain.

Once these Blackwings hit the streets... I was drooling. Recently I found a very low mile CT4V BW in the matte green finish with Carbon 1 and 2 (was looking for a manual, BUT..) It was local and things fell into place = traded a clean 2015 RH2 6mt Chevy SS (Holden SS-V) / got a heck of a trade value on that. I am happy with this 4v as it turns lots of heads and quick like a rabbit.

Very similar story. Sold my 2015 Audi R8 manual and placed an order on a E63 Wagon in June of 2021. By August M-B announced that engine would not make it to the US in 2022. Narrowed it down to RS6 Avant and CT5-V BW and, ultimately, the manual was the tipping point. Placed my order in August of 2021 and received the car seven months later. Prior to my R8 I had a manual 2012 CTS-V Wagon. Very happy with my decision to get the CT5-V BW.
Should have kept the R8 manual - collectors item! I have tracked an R8 Plus and I would love an R8 manual but will never be able to afford one.

I can hear the M5 depreciating while it sits in my garage, it feels like the BW may no longer happen.
Lol that's funny. But hey you might get lucky and they won't get a lot of orders for them.

It's a different time, manufacturers no longer build cars without demand just to have them sit on a lot

Once these Blackwings hit the streets... I was drooling. Recently I found a very low mile CT4V BW in the matte green finish with Carbon 1 and 2 (was looking for a manual, BUT..) It was local and things fell into place = traded a clean 2015 RH2 6mt Chevy SS (Holden SS-V) / got a heck of a trade value on that. I am happy with this 4v as it turns lots of heads and quick like a rabbit.
your SS up for sale still? I think I mentioned I'd buy it from you lol I was joking at the time but now.. Maybe

Same as what everybody else is saying.

Without a manual I wouldn't have *any* interest in it. None.

BMW is a competitor, but sadly I've hit my lifetime quota of BMWs. I owned ONE--that's enough. I loved the way it drove, the ergonomics, the controls, everything dynamic about it (except perhaps the rubbery shifter). The endless check engine lights and failures were demoralizing. The M3 is scary ugly but I might even be able to get over that if BMW didn't build disposable cars.

"6-spd and V8, end of story."
Hard to argue with that! As such, I also thought about a Mustang, perhaps the Mach 1. Just like the BW5 better. Would have preferred a 2-door, but you can't have everything.

Honestly, I feel like Honda is missing the boat here. The Acura Legend was a great car back in the day. Not the performer that the BW4 or BW5 are, but I wonder what a modern Legend could be. 2-door, 6-cylinder, good mix of performance and comfort. A modern version of the Legend would be the archetype of what I'm looking for at this point in my life.

As for what else I "did consider," that's not the correct verb tense. I am "considering" (present tense) a few other cars. Not direct competitors, but complementary cars.

I'll buy a BRZ before this model cycle is done, when it's more available, it is a FANTASTIC car. I loved the old version, even with the underwhelming engine. The Bronco, which I just bought, is a surprisingly simple and satisfying drive. Maybe a Civic Si/Acura Integra for a fun & practical daily driver.

Just a nice selection of manual transmission vehicles in the next 5-10 years while I can still get them. Also thinking about family (daughters, nephew, niece) who may need used cars at a family discount and some encouragement to drive a manual. :) Then I'll go electric when that market is much more mature.

Some Background On Me

I've owned nothing but Japanese cars since 1988. I've been driving an '18 WRX STI for just under 5 years. Drove a '17 WRX for 1 year before that. Drove a '10 Evo X for 6 years before that. Drove an '03 Evo VIII for 6 years before that. I've also had an '18 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X in the stable for the past few years.

Through a friend who used to be an auto journalist, I got to experience a lot of different cars. Various Porsches, BMWs, Audis, Vette, Viper, MINI, Miata, etc. I've done 10 HPDEs. I got a lap as passenger in a car driven by a guy who won Le Mans. And I've done some cool road trips, including most of Route 66 and part of the Pacific Coast Highway.

Through all that I've learned a lot about cars, driving, and myself. I've learned the difference between fast cars and fast drivers, and the difference between fast cars and fun cars. I've learned that I myself am more about the driving experience than the vehicle, and that I dislike wrenching on cars and am not particularly good at it. And I've learned that I need some craziness in my vehicles; I owned that WRX for only 1 year because it was too tame.

Lastly, I'm not in the "rotating driveway turntable" income bracket. I've never spent more then $40k for a vehicle.

What I Value In A Vehicle

I have gravitated towards buying brand new vehicles that are "factory tuner specials". Vehicles that I can have fun with while keeping stock, but which are also reliable and practical daily drivers. The Evos and STI are obvious manifestations of this. But even my Nissan Frontier is: quad cab, with 4WD and an OEM locking rear differential.

When I got my '03 Evo VIII, it had the real-world performance of the E46 M3. But 15 model years later, my '18 STI makes 305 hp - a whopping 34 hp increase over my first Evo. It is slower around road course than the top trim Honda Civic. The M3 is now at least couple of levels in performance above my car.

And buying the Frontier, which is screwed together as tight a drum, made me realize how abysmal the build quality of the STI is. So. Many. Rattles. The truck also gave me an appreciation for comfort. Some days I walk out to the garage, look at the STI, and I just sigh and go, "Nope. Can't deal with it today. The rattles. The bouncing." And I hop in the truck.

So I want speed. But "a little faster than a Camry" doesn't cut it anymore. I want it to feel sporty. But now that I am closer to 60 than 50, I also desire comfort.

Why I Have a CT4-V Blackwing On Order

An Audi RS 3 would seem like the logical progression in car ownership for me. And I thought about it. Hard. But GERmanian car "quality" scares me.

Then there's CT4-V. A practical factory tuner car. Real speed, and a real driver's car, with genuine comfort. A 6-year powertrain warranty that is not voided if I take the car on track. An interior that does not look like it was designed by a 12-year-old with ADHD. But it's still a crazy overall package.

With every option I wanted, the MSRP on my build was $66.7k. That is waaay more money than I have paid for any vehicle in the past. But a year after I bought my '18 STI brand new, my financial situation allowed me to add a brand new '18 Frontier to my fleet. Together those cars were $68.3k + TTL. So I've already spent this level of money on vehicles, and it was fine. And it was awesome.

The car I should get is the redesigned Civic Type R. The interior is gorgeously understated. It will be reliable. Even with wrong-wheel-drive, I expect it to be a sublime driving experience. But it's not crazy. I needs me some "crazy".

The CT4-V somehow ticked all the boxes for me, in a way nothing else did.

Last edited:
For me my number one criteria in a car is manual transmission. Having a bit of practicality has become a priority as well. And of course, want something sporty. That meant my options as I saw it were BMW M3 or CT4 V BW. Every review I’ve watched gives the nod on driving feel to the Cadillac. And the BMW is ugly as hell.

How about y’all?
This was basically my exact same thought process. I was torn because I know the M3 has more space inside, which was a consideration, but at the end of the day the better reviews of the Blackwing won out, plus all the BMW dealers I went to treated me like shit.

Very similar story. Sold my 2015 Audi R8 manual and placed an order on a E63 Wagon in June of 2021. By August M-B announced that engine would not make it to the US in 2022. Narrowed it down to RS6 Avant and CT5-V BW and, ultimately, the manual was the tipping point. Placed my order in August of 2021 and received the car seven months later. Prior to my R8 I had a manual 2012 CTS-V Wagon. Very happy with my decision to get the CT5-V BW.
I ordered both. The BW arrived this week & rs6 should arrive with the next week or two. I’ll be sure to post a comparo

This was basically my exact same thought process. I was torn because I know the M3 has more space inside, which was a consideration, but at the end of the day the better reviews of the Blackwing won out, plus all the BMW dealers I went to treated me like shit.

Also, I know this might seem ridiculous, but doesn’t it feel like we’ve gotten to the point where the M3 just isn’t “special” anymore?

Also, I know this might seem ridiculous, but doesn’t it feel like we’ve gotten to the point where the M3 just isn’t “special” anymore?
Idk if I'd say that. I'm not sure it's ever been "special" but it's been a damn good car for a while. Still is but they focused too much on speed and less on the driving experience this go around. Needs more raw less refined

Idk if I'd say that. I'm not sure it's ever been "special" but it's been a damn good car for a while. Still is but they focused too much on speed and less on the driving experience this go around. Needs more raw less refined

Maybe I’m just getting older then. When I was in my teens and early twenties I’d geek out when I saw an M3. Now it seems like they’re a dime a dozen

Maybe I’m just getting older then. When I was in my teens and early twenties I’d geek out when I saw an M3. Now it seems like they’re a dime a dozen
Could also be your surroundings? Not sure if you were always in Austin or if you recently moved, but the population there has changed so much over the years. I don't feel an M3 would've been a popular choice in Austin in the early-mid 2000s. I still geek out a little because it's mostly trucks in Houston lol

Just shows how popular they still are. Biggest thing that the M3 got over the the 4BW are tunability (can load a canned tune on the fly), the S58 is just heads and shoulders over the LF4 engine. But BMW in true BMW fashion screws it up by nickel and diming buyers with the packages and then trying to make pay subscription for things that the car should have came with clear and free (think they might have stopped that idea now but imagine paying a monthly subscription to be able to use your seat heater?).

I wanted a manual, and it needed to fit kids in the backseat.

My last two cars were an RS3 (which I loved) and an m340i (which was very good, but it just never emotionally resonated with me). The itch to get back into something with a manual transmission I just couldn't overcome.

I looked at an m3, but my local dealer told me "5k markup just to place an order and we have no timetable". Also everyone says the manual in that isn't very good, and I was hesitant to get into another BMW.

I looked at the new gr86 very hard. If the backseat was just a bit bigger, there's a real chance I wound up in one of those.

I looked at used SS models, but they aren't worth the price they're going for, IMO. The engine is great but that interior isn't worth 50k. I also was a little concerned about long term reliability.

If I was still shopping today, I think an Elantra N would be on my list. It just looks like a lot of stupid fun. New GR Corolla would be as well, assuming they exist and they announce an actual price.

Ultimately though, I'm lucky enough that I could afford a car in higher price bracket, and I'm glad I did. I love my 4 with a passion.

What's funny is I see all the time in other places things like, "People will never cross shop a 911 and a Corvette." Clearly lots of us here cross shop $100k V8 super sedans with $30k 228hp sports coupes, FWD hot hatches, and 8-year-old Chevy's. Many true enthusiasts just want a fun (often manual) car and are open to all different formats - and willing to pay for it.

What's funny is I see all the time in other places things like, "People will never cross shop a 911 and a Corvette." Clearly lots of us here cross shop $100k V8 super sedans with $30k 228hp sports coupes, FWD hot hatches, and 8-year-old Chevy's. Many true enthusiasts just want a fun (often manual) car and are open to all different formats - and willing to pay for it.
Willing to pay for it is questionable lol but I agree with everything else.

Tbh for me manual was everything. Had I still been able to get a manual in a lower trim level sedan (say, a BMW 340 or equivalent), I probably would have done that, but it's simply not an option. I could get a VW GLI, or one of these cars and nothing in between. There're just barely any options for the family man who wants a sedan.

I ain't mad though.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners