Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

What made you choose a Blackwing and what else did you consider?

I had a nice GT500 that was heavily modded and was running into a lot of BS emission issues here in NY. Nothing out there was spiking my interest until I came across an article about the 5BW (6 months after the reservations) so I sold the Shelby and now I’m just waiting for the ‘23 to come in.

No more emission issues to think about = priceless.

I have an AMG C43 as a DD so that helps a little bit while waiting to bang some gears!!

I know some of you guys here have a Porsche 911 and I would like some feed back as I'm starting to fall in love with that car..... I might be talked into selling both BW and getting one...
I bought a 2017 911 Carerra 4S manual 2 weeks ago as I'm still waiting for a Blackwing allocation.

I wish I hadn't bought the car.

For me the manual is the reason to buy cars like these, I'm sure the PDK is great but so is every other automatic sports car.

This manual 911 has rev hang like a 10th gen Civic, the rev matching is mandatory in sport mode and it isn't as good the rev matching in my Z06, my ZL1 and I can only assume the Blackwing. The car bucks and lurches when up shifting or downshifting regardless of the mode or auto rev matching unless you let the clutch out with ease, it annoys the hell out of me.

It drives nicely but the turbo noises are obviously nothing compared to a good V8.

Unless you were buying a GT3 I wouldn't sell Blackwings, my Z06, ZL1 or any other manual V8 car I've owned.

Maybe the new 992 is better but I can only talk about my experience.

Make sure to extensively test drive any 911 you're considering, I wish I had.

I bought a 2017 911 Carerra 4S manual 2 weeks ago as I'm still waiting for a Blackwing allocation.

I wish I hadn't bought the car.

For me the manual is the reason to buy cars like these, I'm sure the PDK is great but so is every other automatic sports car.

This manual 911 has rev hang like a 10th gen Civic, the rev matching is mandatory in sport mode and it isn't as good the rev matching in my Z06, my ZL1 and I can only assume the Blackwing. The car bucks and lurches when up shifting or downshifting regardless of the mode or auto rev matching unless you let the clutch out with ease, it annoys the hell out of me.

It drives nicely but the turbo noises are obviously nothing compared to a good V8.

Unless you were buying a GT3 I wouldn't sell Blackwings, my Z06, ZL1 or any other manual V8 car I've owned.

Maybe the new 992 is better but I can only talk about my experience.

Make sure to extensively test drive any 911 you're considering, I wish I had.
Thank you for this review/info!

Manual transmission with 4 doors is 100% why I bought it. Wish the styling had some bigger BW cues, maybe a different hood or hell even slightly different badging. In any case, it’s a badass car.

I considered a new M5 and had a Gt500 for a minute. Nothing beats rowing your own gears!

The rev matching is very good on the blackwing. I wish it would turn on either automatically or tied to my profile or V mode.

The low-key best usage for it is in the summer with the AC on, it doesn't let the rpms drop.

I was waiting for allocations on both the G80 M3 and the 4BW.

Criteria was 4 doors and a stick. It's my first real high-performance car and I'm coming out of an Alfa Giulia lease, but have lusted after something like this for a decade and obviously as we all know, cars like this are rapidly disappearing.

As much as I wanted the 5BW, I'm trying to buy a house soon and don't have any faith it'll be workable in a northeast winter. It's my daily. Also just more than I wanted to spend.

Found my 4BW on the lot at MSRP and the rest is history. Couldn't be happier.

Criteria was 4 doors and a stick. It's my first real high-performance car and I'm coming out of an Alfa Giulia lease, but have lusted after something like this for a decade and obviously as we all know, cars like this are rapidly disappearing.

As much as I wanted the 5BW, I'm trying to buy a house soon and don't have any faith it'll be workable in a northeast winter. It's my daily. Also just more than I wanted to spend.

I plan on asking my dealer to put me on the list for a G87 M2 as soon as I pick up my X3 from them.. I'm hoping it'll have more engagement than the F87 M2 Manual had. I imagine the G80 M3 had that same unit based on reviews of "soft" or "mushy" clutch feel. For a daily I would say you made the right choice :beer

I plan on asking my dealer to put me on the list for a G87 M2 as soon as I pick up my X3 from them.. I'm hoping it'll have more engagement than the F87 M2 Manual had. I imagine the G80 M3 had that same unit based on reviews of "soft" or "mushy" clutch feel. For a daily I would say you made the right choice :beer
I think so too. Have plenty of seat time in the F87 and F80 M3s (including on track) and they were too sterile then. Hate that steering rack.

Can't imagine the new ones have gotten more involving. Blackwing is a keeper.

I'll let you know about the northeast winter with my 5bw daily😉

Any member out near Roswell, GA want to go beat on a GT350 for me and tell me if you think anything is wrong with it? lol Willing to compensate you with a 6 pack or something else of your choosing. Message me if you can work with me!

Tall Steve. I’ve had three 911s. A 991S, 991 Turbo and a 992 base. The 992 base was my favorite and I DD all three. It was sublime to drive. I’ve driven the 992S and turbo S on the track and preferred the rear wheel drive. I wanted more room which is why I went with 5BW.

Tall Steve. I’ve had three 911s. A 991S, 991 Turbo and a 992 base. The 992 base was my favorite and I DD all three. It was sublime to drive. I’ve driven the 992S and turbo S on the track and preferred the rear wheel drive. I wanted more room which is why I went with 5BW.
Thanks for the info, and why are you not at your post???????????????? LOL, love it!

I know some of you guys here have a Porsche 911 and I would like some feed back as I'm starting to fall in love with that car..... I might be talked into selling both BW and getting one...

Just get the 911 Steve. I'm sure Dustin will hold 3 blackwings for you whenever you decide it's time to return

Go see Jared Orem at Park Place. He was always good to deal with.

Reviving this ....have a 2012 911 turbo S...only came in pdk but the pdk suits this car more imo. Once you learn/get used to the pdk it is a blast. My 911 has 65k miles but it is rock solid all the way around. I mostly use it in the weekends here in NY (early morning runs with a local Porsche group). I already had a manual Golf R which I sold for my manual 5 BW....I was briefly thinking of selling the 911 but decided against it. @Tall Steve if you get an opportunity to drive one definitely see if you like it. It's a different experience driving it with all the weight in the back. The turbo cars are animals from launch ...they just squat and go. For many people the turbo S cars are not as involving as rear drive base 911s with a manual (probably true) but mine has an Europipe exhaust, DSC Sport suspension controller and a custom tune which enhances the experience. I have the manual BW for rear drive shenanigans so the 911 serves a different purpose for me. It makes it interesting for me each time I drive either car since the driving experience and dynamics are so different and fun at the same time.

As soon as it was confirmed that the CT4-V Blackwing would have the LF4 engine, I made the decision to get one as soon as possible, and start working to figure out how to tune it.

Reviving this ....have a 2012 911 turbo S...only came in pdk but the pdk suits this car more imo. Once you learn/get used to the pdk it is a blast.
I'm not sure if it's surprising or not in retrospect - but boy there seem to be a number of Porsche + Blackwing guys here (myself included!). I'm not sure that the GM marketing guys would have predicted that.

there seem to be a number of Porsche + Blackwing guys here (myself included!). I'm not sure that the GM marketing guys would have predicted that.

Yeah, GM's marketing has historically been pretty clueless about why people drive Porsches.

Several years ago, one automotive blog posted about a conversation they had with the GM press department. The GM person was telling the blogger that the C6 or C7 Corvette was better than the Porsche 911. The blog guy was like, "Hold up. When was the last time you drove a Porsche?" There was silence on the other end of the line. The GM person finally admitted they had never driven a Porsche.

I myself have hundreds of miles of seat time in a C6 Corvette and a 987 Cayman. The Porsche was absolutely in another league.

I'm not sure if it's surprising or not in retrospect - but boy there seem to be a number of Porsche + Blackwing guys

As the former owner of a WRX STI and two Evos (VIII and X), I've been surprised at the number of other former/current STI and Evo owners here. Also seem to be a lot of BMW guys here, and I think I've seen a Miata or two lurking on the backgrounds of some pictures.

GM finally built a couple of no excuses world class performance cars. And people who appreciate that are coming from all over. Rennlist, NASIOC, wherever the BMW guys hang out (Bimmerfest?). Probably some Grassroots Motorsports guys on here as well. (Do the Miata guys have a forum, or are they just too busy enjoying their cars? EDIT: looks like Miata.net)

Last edited:
Yeah, GM's marketing has historically been pretty clueless about why people drive Porsches.

Several years ago, one automotive blog posted about a conversation they had with the GM press department. The GM person was telling the blogger that the C6 or C7 Corvette was better than the Porsche 911. The blog guy was like, "Hold up. When was the last time you drove a Porsche?" There were silence on the other end of the line. The GM person finally admitted they had never driven a Porsche.

I myself have hundreds of miles of seat time in a C6 Corvette and a 987 Cayman. The Porsche was absolutely in another league.

As the former owner of a WRX STI and two Evos (VIII and X), I've been surprised at the number of other former/current STI and Evo owners here. Also seem to be a lot of BMW guys here, and I think I've seen a Miata or two lurking on the backgrounds of some pictures.

GM finally built a couple of no excuses world class performance cars. And people who appreciate that are coming from all over. Rennlist, NASIOC, wherever the BMW guys hang out (Bimmerfest?). Probably some Grassroots Motorsports guys on here as well. (Do the Miata guys have a forum, or are they just too busy enjoying their cars?)

Miata.net forums are amazing. Tons of resources and there are posts on there as far back as the late 90s.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back