Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

What made you choose a Blackwing and what else did you consider?

I have an nd1 soft top with the BBS/Brembo package. It's perfect for my use - five years old, got about 15k miles on it (I've only owned it since February, but I spent a while tracking down a used one with low miles and the brembo/bbs package). I slap a booster seat in the passenger side and hoon around town with one of my sons.

I wouldn't pay 40k for a Miata. If that was my only option, I'd pay 30k for a new GR86. The new Z definitely appeals at 40k, no argument there. But you're losing the convertible, the brakes, and the LSD in exchange for more power. Really depends on your use case.

I'm a pretty budget conscious buyer, despite my bad habit of moving on from cars every couple years. Whatever it takes to justify it to myself, I guess!
I agree, the GR86/BRZ represents a better value and includes the LSD, even in the base at $28,500.

I considered the Z Premium but at $50k+ (assuming you can get one at MSRP), I felt a lightly loaded BW4 is a much better value even though the Z has a strong following.

- More power - 4BW is 300lbs heavier than the Z but makes for it with and extra 95 lb ft of torque and 72hp
- Adaptive Dampers
- Tremec manual, arguably one of the best
- More practical/usable vehicle
- Better brakes (6 piston Brembos)
- Michelin PS4S tires
- Dual Mode exhaust (the manual Zs need a NISMO or aftermarket exhaust immediately)

I have the same car upgrade sickness. Every year or two I find myself in something else I want to try.

I wanted a newer (safer) car that had a medium sized back seat, at least a 2008+ with a V8 in Manual trans. If the BW didn't come to fruition, the alternative was in this order:

With a manual transmission:
CTS-V2 , either wagon or sedan
Chevy SS
E90 M3
Ct4V BW
F80 M3
G20 M3

No manual transmission:
Dodge Charger Hellcat Redeye WB
Lexus GS-F

Honorable mention:
RS3
IS500
CTS-V3
M6 grand coupe in manual transmission
Dodge Charger Scat Pack WB
I really enjoyed my E90 M3, much more than the F80 M3 which felt less connected and sounded worse. The 2nd gen CTS-V to me was really quick but felt heavy. Also didn't "gel" with the M6 GC despite owning an E39 M5 for years - fast but felt and sounded synthetic.

Drove an IS500 last week and while a nice ride (and frankly a bargain for $60k), it was definitely softer and woollier than the E90.

Simple- Go to autotrader and filter by the following criterion.
  1. Manual
  2. RWD
  3. 4 doors.
  4. Price <$70k
  5. Condition New
There are no other cars meeting that criterion. None.

Autotrader link.
There was one other in 2019-2021, and that was the Genesis G70, but it was dropped for 2022 (sold my 2019 G70 for the 4BW). Your list basically matches my shopping list except for #2 I had "Not FWD" and the list expanded to 3 cars...adding the WRX and Golf R. The interior/UI of the Golf killed that for me, and the WRX is ugly AF and also I am not 17.

There was one other in 2019-2021, and that was the Genesis G70, but it was dropped for 2022 (sold my 2019 G70 for the 4BW). Your list basically matches my shopping list except for #2 I had "Not FWD" and the list expanded to 3 cars...adding the WRX and Golf R. The interior/UI of the Golf killed that for me, and the WRX is ugly AF and also I am not 17.

Mines almost the same.

MT, 4 doors requirement.
More than 4 cylinders
Not FWD

But I’ll still try a WRX, civic R, and a golf R, because it’s basically m3 vs ct4 otherwise.

I would have bought an m340i in a heartbeat if it had a stick!

I think the reason there are so many Miata -> Blackwing owners is that we prioritize driving feel and fun over 0-60 times and spec sheets
Agreed. Enthusiasts tend to chase a driving experience vs. stats, which is why you find an enthusiast cross shopping a Miata, Supra, Blackwing, GR86, etc.

Another reason I purchased a Blackwing with a manual is because I already own a Tesla Model 3 Performance and other than the instant torque the driving experience is numb. I am hopeful they will find a way to make EVs for enthusiasts that are engaging to drive but I am not very optimistic so far. I am sure they will be quick and handle well but they are just point and shoot. They lack personality.

I see Dodge is trying to inject some soul in their Emuscle Daytona but the initial feedback doesn’t look good. It is going to be very challenging to convert that Mopar fan base to an EV with fake noises and simulated gear shifts.

I would have bought an m340i in a heartbeat if it had a stick!
I was considering an m340i, but the new instrument/infotainment cluster made me ill from the images on the configurator. I hate having one LCD screen taped onto a dashboard look. The 2022 was much better with the screens IN the dash. Also, it looks like it lost the console shifter for a toggle switch like the A3.

I think the reason there are so many Miata -> Blackwing owners is that we prioritize driving feel and fun over 0-60 times and spec sheets
Truth. I'm going from a Civic Type R, a FWD turbo 4-cylinder, very Japanese econo-car, to an S/C V8, RWD, very American luxury sedan (never had an American car in my entire extended family). With a Lotus Elise as a weekend car and a history of BMWs and Hondas. I just want what's fun, don't care who makes it or what format it's in as long as it fits what I need from it.

Agreed. Enthusiasts tend to chase a driving experience vs. stats, which is why you find an enthusiast cross shopping a Miata, Supra, Blackwing, GR86, etc.

Another reason I purchased a Blackwing with a manual is because I already own a Tesla Model 3 Performance and other than the instant torque the driving experience is numb. I am hopeful they will find a way to make EVs for enthusiasts that are engaging to drive but I am not very optimistic so far. I am sure they will be quick and handle well but they are just point and shoot. They lack personality.

I see Dodge is trying to inject some soul in their Emuscle Daytona but the initial feedback doesn’t look good. It is going to be very challenging to convert that Mopar fan base to an EV with fake noises and simulated gear shifts.
Can I interest you to engage in a previous discussion?

Can I interest you to engage in a previous discussion?

I think that topic has been beaten to death worse than Vincent Ludwig...🤣

Truth. I'm going from a Civic Type R, a FWD turbo 4-cylinder, very Japanese econo-car, to an S/C V8, RWD, very American luxury sedan (never had an American car in my entire extended family). With a Lotus Elise as a weekend car and a history of BMWs and Hondas. I just want what's fun, don't care who makes it or what format it's in as long as it fits what I need from it.
Yup. I mean if we cared about badges we wouldn't be buying a GM product. Amirite? ;)
I'm a hot hatch guy at heart (Honda & Renault) so a 2025 CTR will be my last sporty ICE car from new I reckon and we'll see if it gets paired with the 4BW in an impractical practical 2 car garage.

Apart from some small annoying stuff detailed in said thread, the only legit thing missing from the 4BW for me to consider it near enough flawless (for a 4 door, I'm not pretending it's a Caterham) as a sporty driving machine is the low redline. If that ticked up to and a bit past 7k, ya that'd be something else.

It's cool to see that the Blackwing is attracting people who own cars from all different manufacturers - and probably quite a few (like myself) who never thought they would own a Cadillac.

+1 to never thinking I would own a Cadillac. Or any American car again, for that matter. And now I own a Ford and a GM! Times change...

Yup. I mean if we cared about badges we wouldn't be buying a GM product. Amirite? ;)
I'm a hot hatch guy at heart (Honda & Renault) so a 2025 CTR will be my last sporty ICE car from new I reckon and we'll see if it gets paired with the 4BW in an impractical practical 2 car garage.

Apart from some small annoying stuff detailed in said thread, the only legit thing missing from the 4BW for me to consider it near enough flawless (for a 4 door, I'm not pretending it's a Caterham) as a sporty driving machine is the low redline. If that ticked up to and a bit past 7k, ya that'd be something else.
If the BWs didn't exist, I'd probably upgrade my '20 CTR to the new gen CTR once I found one at MSRP (would probably take a couple years) and be done with it. Great daily fun car and very practical, plus well over 30mpg highway.

I've never had a redline as low as the 5 BW's 6,500... the 6 cars I've owned have *averaged* 7,800rpm. However, I think the 659lb/ft (more than my E39 M5, S2000, and Lotus combined, or put another way, essentially 5 Lotus) might make up for that a bit.

It's cool to see that the Blackwing is attracting people who own cars from all different manufacturers - and probably quite a few (like myself) who never thought they would own a Cadillac.
I didn’t see it coming and caught me off-guard. One day in late January 2022 I somehow started watching some YouTube videos on the 5BW. That very day I knew it was the car for me. First time Cadillac owner, but long time GM owner. My 1999 Sierra 2500 was an awesome truck and had very few issues. The 6.0L engine was solid.

Background: Came from modified 340i xDrive 6-speed. Made 530-540awhp and the B58 sang a great song + silky smooth revs. Build quality was meh, chassis was soft, and the manual was abysmal. My choices were limited to manual only cars.

Choices:
  • 2017+ C7 Z06 7MT. Couldn't find the one I wanted for $75k in this market.
  • G80 M3: ugly front, German build quality was/is poor, and the manual sucks. S58 is a tuning MONSTER though.
  • M2C: same story, no thanks. Steering is numb, rides too harsh, manual is trash. Motor is good.
  • 718 Cayman GT4 or GTS 4.0. LONG wait times + $30k markup. No thanks.
CT4 BW hit all my marks minus the motor. I think it needs another 50whp but should be fast enough until proven tuning solutions come out. It'll be rarer and is better in every way than the G80 minus the engine and interior. Was also $8k cheaper than similarly specc'd M3 and maintenance costs should be cheaper.

Last edited:
Background: Came from modified 340i xDrive 6-speed. Made 530-540awhp and the B58 sang a great song + silky smooth revs. Build quality was meh, chassis was soft, and the manual was abysmal. My choices were limited to manual only cars.

Choices:
  • 2017+ C7 Z06 7MT. Couldn't find the one I wanted for $75k in this market.
  • G80 M3: ugly front, German build quality was/is poor, and the manual sucks. S58 is a tuning MONSTER though.
  • M2C: same story, no thanks. Steering is numb, rides too harsh, manual is trash. Motor is good.
  • 718 Cayman GT4 or GTS 4.0. LONG wait times + $30k markup. No thanks.
CT4 BW hit all my marks minus the motor. I think it needs another 50whp but should be fast enough until proven tuning solutions come out. It'll be rarer and is better in every way than the G80 minus the engine and interior. Was also $8k cheaper than similarly specc'd M3 and maintenance costs should be cheaper.
50?... how about 100?!
... just saw this a few minutes ago:
Thread 'Tapout Tuning CT4-V Blackwing Blue Belt Performance Package Released!' Tapout Tuning CT4-V Blackwing Blue Belt Performance Package Released!

Same here. I owned a few Corvettes and Camaros but this is my first Cadillac.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back