Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Is this what buying a car is like these days?!

agentcom

Hi all,

Thank you for providing such a great resource. I wish I could say that I was excited to be here, but so far trying to purchase one of these amazing cars has been frustrating and disappointing. I do not know if I am doing something wrong, if I'm unlucky or if my experience is just how people buy cars. I will be grateful if anyone can provide any advice or insight on this experience. I hope someday to own (and drive!) a manual CT5-V Blackwing. But how to get there? Here's my (so far unsuccessful) story:

I am not sure when I first heard about the 5VBW, but my decision to buy one was sealed by the October 2021 Car and Driver article. Shortly after, I started contacting local Caddy dealerships. As someone who has never bought a new car and only once bought a car from a dealership (used Honda CR-V), I didn't know what to expect. By going through an official dealer for a price that could buy five to 100 of my previous vehicles, I was looking forward to picking out a vehicle and getting on the waitlist that I knew was forming while knowing that the higher price was for a better product AND experience.

Things got weird pretty much from the start. The dealerships I called would tell me to first go online, spec out the car, print out the resulting packet and then come in for a discussion. Not a great start, but I had a good idea from that article which things I wanted, so I printed something out and scheduled a visit with a salesman. The meeting was a disappointment. The dealer basically took my packet, re-typed in everything, couldn't get the same options packages to go together and also told me that they charged $10k over the price (MSRP) on the packet that they told me to print out. On top of that, the guy just seemed to not really know or care about either the car or this transaction. (Someone else from that office advised me to call in every month to demonstrate my enthusiasm, however.)

In January of 2022, I called another dealership, where I spoke to a sales manager who seemed a lot more interested in helping me get this car. He gave me more information about how the ordering, waitlist, build, delivery process went. Plus, their dealer mark-up was more negotiable (possibly as low as $5k). I met with one of his salesmen who at least seemed enthusiastic about the vehicle and the transaction. After my paperwork apparently went missing, I was told that I was officially in the system / on the waitlist in mid-February of 2022. (In hindsight, being pawned off on someone other than whom I spoke to and the disappearing paperwork should have been warning signs #1 and 2.)

It is now 14 months later. I have periodic conversations with the salesman which go as follows:

"We just got in a CT5-V BW in <some black color>!"

"Is it a manual?"

"No. Automatic. They aren't making many manuals."

"How many manuals are they making? Where am I on the wait list?"

"I don't know. Let me look into that. I'll get back to you soon."

No follow up.

On our most recent call, he told me that it was also the carbon fiber that was making my order take longer. I asked (a) how many were being made with/without CF parts; (b) how far up on the waitlist would I be if I changed my order; and (c) how much to get the parts ordered and installed later. He said he'd get back to me. Nothing. I sent him some different specs without carbon fiber to see how far up the list I would go if I did change it. Nothing.

As this has unfolded, I have read more and more of this and other forums and feel like you all are having a much different experience. I see people saying don't pay over MSRP. I see people who have codes that tell them how their order is progressing. I see people complimenting their dealers. Most importantly, I see people with delivered vehicles!

How can I become one of you?

I am more than willing to switch dealers. I'm willing to travel across the country for pick up (and break it in on the way home).

Should I be posting this somewhere else?

My plan was to get the BW with the carbon brakes and CF bodywork but to remove and store these OEM parts replacing them with stock brakes and bodywork for road driving.

This is part of my larger plan of using this car (lightly) for several years and having the option to trade for something "more reasonable" if I ever felt I needed less of a race car and more of a family car. I think this car (well maintained and lightly used) will hold a reasonable amount of its value over time and these OEM race parts would help with that eventual resale value.

Do not think from the above that I'm trying to flip this car. I really want to own and drive it myself! I am asking for input on whether and how to do this. My initial plan was to take it to the dealership to have this done (after I get a chance to lap it, another first that I'm looking forward to!).

Thank you in advance for your help. I look forward to being a member of this community.

I have had experience with only one dealer. Sewell Cadillac of Dallas, TX. The experience could not have been better. My sales rep was a very nice young lady named Tatum Santeen. I suggest you call Sewell, and ask for Tatum Santeen in Sales.
Sewell does not charge over MSRP and has a well deserved reputation for great customer service.
Tell Tatum that George said hello.

Don't pay over sticker. Find a better dealer. Sewell is popular here. They're in Texas.

Our dealership is Ken Batchelor Cadillac in San Antonio TX. We are part of the Sewell Automotive Companies. We currently have a radiant red manual with natural tan interior and a midnight steel metallic manual with sky cool grey interior. I'm not in sales, but if either sounds interesting, give us a call and ask for Bobby (our V-Club Sales Rep).

Thanks George. I called Tatum who was certainly pleasant and responsive to my questions. The bad news is that I would have to start all over with them (and likely wait 2+ years for delivery). I guess there's no way to transfer my reservation from one dealership to another. I wonder if I would be able to if I contacted Cadillac directly and complained about current dealer. But when I previously tried to contact Caddy/GM with questions about all this, I got even less help than from the dealers.

So I think I'm stuck with my current dealer and the hope that I'm a year or less away from my turn on the waitlist.

I don't understand why I can't just find out where I am on the waitlist (for my selected options), how fast (similarly optioned) cars are being made and get a rough estimate of when it will be built.

Elsewhere on VNET, I see people can somehow see how their order is progressing. How does one get that info??

I also found the production numbers but it looks like it might only be through January '23 (just guessing because 2023 numbers are less than 1/10th of final 2022 numbers).

Seconding Cadillac South San Francisco which is where I bought mine (CT4-V Blackwing) although I read on here that Jon is no longer with the dealership and that's who I worked with. He was great.

Thanks George. I called Tatum who was certainly pleasant and responsive to my questions. The bad news is that I would have to start all over with them (and likely wait 2+ years for delivery). I guess there's no way to transfer my reservation from one dealership to another. I wonder if I would be able to if I contacted Cadillac directly and complained about current dealer. But when I previously tried to contact Caddy/GM with questions about all this, I got even less help than from the dealers.

So I think I'm stuck with my current dealer and the hope that I'm a year or less away from my turn on the waitlist.

I don't understand why I can't just find out where I am on the waitlist (for my selected options), how fast (similarly optioned) cars are being made and get a rough estimate of when it will be built.

Elsewhere on VNET, I see people can somehow see how their order is progressing. How does one get that info??

I also found the production numbers but it looks like it might only be through January '23 (just guessing because 2023 numbers are less than 1/10th of final 2022 numbers).
Get on the list at Sewell. It's free and there's no commitment. If your current dealer eventually gets you a car, contact Sewell and ask to be removed.

Also call every dealer you'd be willing to buy a car from and find out their terms. Most will ask for a REFUNDABLE deposit, so get out your credit card and get on the list at as many dealers as possible. If you do this, you'll have a car in a few months.

Make sure they give you a 6 letter order code - if you don't get one move on to another dealer as that one is stringing you along.

I can only discuss my experience. I called around in early February 2022 and any dealer that charged ADM was eliminated from consideration. The reason is that their business practices tell a lot about how they their treat customers. After I found a dealer I setup a meeting and finalized my requirements. After that every 4 weeks I would email or text my sales person and setup an in person meeting. Put in the same hustle you would trying to chase down some cherry pie (or johnson if that's your preference) and you will be rewarded. Need to really level up for this rodeo, there is a lot of buyer competition out there. How will you stand out to the sales person? About 4 months after my initial meeting I was offered an unexpected show car that GM had offered them. It was nearly the spec I wanted and I jumped on it. Meaning, I came in first thing the next morning and gave them a cash deposit.

Last edited:
Our dealership is Ken Batchelor Cadillac in San Antonio TX. We are part of the Sewell Automotive Companies. We currently have a radiant red manual with natural tan interior and a midnight steel metallic manual with sky cool grey interior. I'm not in sales, but if either sounds interesting, give us a call and ask for Bobby (our V-Club Sales Rep).

Thanks Bluebird. Sadly (for me), Batchelor Cadillac does not sell these to out-of-state customers apparently (even if I flew in and purchased at the dealership).

Also, while Bobby was checking whether he could even sell one to me, one of them was sold and that was not long after your post, so the other one might be gone by now as well.

If I were you, seeing that you're in Sac, I'd contact Cadillac of South San Fransisco.

That will be my next call. Thank you.

Get on the list at Sewell. It's free and there's no commitment. If your current dealer eventually gets you a car, contact Sewell and ask to be removed.

Also call every dealer you'd be willing to buy a car from and find out their terms. Most will ask for a REFUNDABLE deposit, so get out your credit card and get on the list at as many dealers as possible. If you do this, you'll have a car in a few months.

Make sure they give you a 6 letter order code - if you don't get one move on to another dealer as that one is stringing you along.
A 6 letter order without an allocation is pretty meaningless. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The only way you can buy out of state (once you find a willing dealer) and register the car in California if you are the original purchaser is if you special order California emissions. (To bring a non ca emissions vehicle in you need to be the second or later owner (and converting a lease doesn't count) and the car must have over 7,500 miles on it at the time you purchased it out of state)

You need to order RPOs NC7 and YF5

Last edited:
Seconding Cadillac South San Francisco which is where I bought mine (CT4-V Blackwing) although I read on here that Jon is no longer with the dealership and that's who I worked with. He was great.
Correct. Jon is no longer at SF Cadillac. I was working with him on my 5BW order. I'm now working with Sinbad.

Correct. Jon is no longer at SF Cadillac. I was working with him on my 5BW order. I'm now working with Sinbad.
I’m now working with Hannah.

Wasn't able to make any calls (or do anything else on this) today. Thanks to all for the help.

A 6 letter order without an allocation is pretty meaningless. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I think 99sport is responding to my questions about how to know that my dealer is on top of things.

The only way you can buy out of state (once you find a willing dealer) and register the car in California if you are the original purchaser is if you special order California emissions. (To bring a non ca emissions vehicle in you need to be the second or later owner (and converting a lease doesn't count) and the car must have over 7,500 miles on it at the time you purchased it out of state)

You need to order RPOs NC7 and YF5

I am trying to follow, but the rules I see seem to be talking about vehicles that are only available in other states (49 staters) ... but this vehicle is available in CA.

Last edited:
Wasn't able to make any calls (or do anything else on this) today. Thanks to all for the help.

I think 99sport is responding to my questions about how to know that my dealer is on top of things.

I am trying to follow, but the rules I see seem to be talking about vehicles that are only available in other states (49 staters) ... but this vehicle is available in CA.
Yes. If you are buying in Ca you don't need to worry about anything - you can ignore my comment entirely.

If, however, you decide to expand your search out of state you need to add those RPO codes to your order or you'll never be able to register the car in California.

(I have found it VERY difficult to find dealers in CA that will place a custom order at MSRP, but every out of state dealer I contacted was willing to do so)

So is this a form that the dealer fills out or something? And are you saying that the dealer mark-up in CA is from having to add this? Or is that 2 separate things? Is the BW one of these non-certified vehicles?

Feel free to point me to another discussion if this is covered elsewhere ... Or else maybe I need to change the post title to "what buying a new car is like for a Californian." So many rules, but I've never heard of this one.

Last edited:
I guess a basic question is what is the dealer actually doing in all of this?

During nap time, I talked to Jesus at South San Francisco Cadillac. Dug out the specs while on phone and realized I had to sadly redo my Shadow Metallic 2022 CT5-V BW, which I'll need to have for all the dealers I talk to, I assume. Nevertheless, Jesus popped the big question: to CF or not to CF. I hesitated, I'm on "the waitlist" either way, so I think I'll stick with yes and make the decision when the time comes. (I'm thinking CF 1, 2 bodywork not the seats.)

So off to the internet, let's see what inflation has done to my plans. Previous build: $104,790.

<click, click, click, beep, boop, beep>

$115,840. Ouch. Plus $11,000. (None of which coming from the change to Wave Metallic, pending wife's approval, from discontinued Shadow Metallic).

Standard Vehicle Price went up $8,000 ($84k to $92k)
CF1 and 2 are + a little more than $1k each
and another few hundred hidden in there somewhere. I'll try to find it then send it in to Jesus in case I made a mistake.

11 grand. Sheesh. Part of the reason I was hoping to get one by now. Alas.

How strict are they in the forum here? I don't mind if this is moved out of New Member Introductions. I didn't even introduce myself:

As mentioned, I'm a first time new car buyer, but this seems worth getting brand new. I live in Sacramento with wife and just-turned-one daughter. My wife thinks we need a second vehicle, and this is the one that I like. (My second choice is a Genesis.)

I'd already made the decision when I found out about the training course. Most of my competitive racing was go karts that in hindsight I treated too much like bumper cars. (I was the guy who kept getting slowed down and yelled at.) I think I've matured since then, but my family is relieved that there is some training involved.

Anyway, I don't plan to drive it much. It will be a lightly used second car. We'll do a couple family road trips as long as that magic lasts, but I'm thinking 10-20k good weather miles on it over several years before moving on. Hoping to be able to include the original brakes and body kit for future owner who will use it more as GM and God intended :) That's the plan anyway.

I suspect if you ever get a 5BW you’ll want to keep it more than several years. If you go to Spring Mountain or some other track you’ll understand why. If you get the 6-spd you’ll see why. I would not be taking the car on a road trip with the family unless they have strong immunity to motion sickness. Plan some twisty road trips by yourself. This car is really way too much for the street.

If you really want one, read through these forums to get a better understanding of how the buying process works. The most important thing IMO is putting in the effort to develop a relationship with the sales manager and frontline sales person. That means regular face-to-face meetings. Now there are exceptions to that and some people just get lucky or already have a relationship with a dealer. Luck isn’t a bad thing, but for every luck story there are far more failure stories that we never hear about.

Last edited:

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners