Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Track Mode

DonD

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT4-V Blackwing
Although I have no intention of tracking this car, I have a question about what it does. I presume that it stiffens up the suspension but what else? Does it speed up throttle respomse etc? Thanks, Don

Designed for closed racetracks when maximum vehicle handling is desired; the automatic transmission and steering are similar to Sport Mode, but the accelerator pedal is adjusted to help provide maximum control during spirited driving.

Although I have no intention of tracking this car, I have a question about what it does. I presume that it stiffens up the suspension but what else? Does it speed up throttle respomse etc? Thanks, Don
I've seen it described as actually slowing down the throttle response and making it more linear. Easier to be precise with getting the power down on corner exit.

Feels that way in my experience, too.

I’ve been warned to avoid using track setting on the street, especially when the street is in bad shape. Track setting sets suspension at the stiffest setting therefore you risk damaging tires and wheels on rough roads.

Track setting turns a lot of the traction elements off. If you go to last track setting in ptm, u better be a good driver since ur going to be nanny free.

I’ve been warned to avoid using track setting on the street, especially when the street is in bad shape. Track setting sets suspension at the stiffest setting therefore you risk damaging tires and wheels on rough roads.
tmp.gif

Track setting turns a lot of the traction elements off. If you go to last track setting in ptm, u better be a good driver since ur going to be nanny free.
There are still 'nannies' on in the PTM Race2 settings. To be nanny free you have to turn off traction and stability control. I believe the 5 second press accomplishes this.

Last edited:
A couple of questions for you guys...

If you are in 'Track' or 'Sport' and push Traction Control twice, it goes into 'Competitive Driving Mode':

Q: What exactly does 'Competitive Driving Mode' do that doesn't occur normally in the 'Track' or 'Sport" modes?

Question 2: If you are in 'Track' mode, how does the PTM switch on the steering wheel affect traction?
Does it lay it on top of what the stock 'Track' traction setting would already be? Or does it simply apply the steering-wheel selected traction-control setting?

Like what happens if you are in 'Sport' mode but select 'Race 2' on the PTM knob? Do you get 'Sport' everything except for PTM, which would be set to 'Race 2'? Then what happens if you set 'Competitive Driving' mode on?

Anyone know how these settings interact with each other? Thanks.

PTM overrides driving mode settings. You can be in Tour and select PTM and you will get the louder exhaust, stiffer suspension, and stiffer steering.

Try mapping PTM Sport to Vmode without having Vmode suspension in the stiffest setting and it will tell you that it cant do it.

Its my understanding that the competitive driving mode allows for wheelspin so you can do burnouts but why that would be different to just turning t/c off I dunno.

I tend to agree. It feels like it wears down the car faster in track mode, on bad roads.

A couple of questions for you guys...

If you are in 'Track' or 'Sport' and push Traction Control twice, it goes into 'Competitive Driving Mode':

Q: What exactly does 'Competitive Driving Mode' do that doesn't occur normally in the 'Track' or 'Sport" modes?

Question 2: If you are in 'Track' mode, how does the PTM switch on the steering wheel affect traction?
Does it lay it on top of what the stock 'Track' traction setting would already be? Or does it simply apply the steering-wheel selected traction-control setting?

Like what happens if you are in 'Sport' mode but select 'Race 2' on the PTM knob? Do you get 'Sport' everything except for PTM, which would be set to 'Race 2'? Then what happens if you set 'Competitive Driving' mode on?

Anyone know how these settings interact with each other? Thanks.
Competitive mode only works in Sport. PTM is only available in Track. It’s a little confusing because the 2nd level of Track mode is also called Sport. Don’t you have the “V-Series Convenience & Personalization Guide?”

PTM is only available in Track.
You can get into PTM from any mode via the steering wheel toggle. The default PTM modes have Track settings for exhaust, suspension, steering, etc., but you can have PTM modes with any settings via V-mode double tap.

V-Mode double tap does not work if you have the softest suspension setting in your V-Mode config.

Very inconvenient.........

You can get into PTM from any mode via the steering wheel toggle. The default PTM modes have Track settings for exhaust, suspension, steering, etc., but you can have PTM modes with any settings via V-mode double tap.
Semantics. Not talking about what buttons are pushed. If you try the sliders you can see that PTM will put the vehicle in Track mode.

Semantics. Not talking about what buttons are pushed. If you try the sliders you can see that PTM will put the vehicle in Track mode.
You said PTM is only available in track. My point is that if you want PTM without the track settings, you can do it.

Last edited:
You said PTM is only available in track. My point is that if you want PTM without the track settings, you can do it.
Hasn’t been my experience. Using the PTM knob puts the vehicle effectively in Track mode. GM could have done a better job on the user interface.

IMG_5885.jpeg

You cant. PTM isnt ‘available’ in Track, PTM is Track, it bypasses your driving mode. Set your Vmode suspension to sport and you lose the double tap to PTM. Or set the driving mode to Tour and select PTM and note the harsher ride, stiffer steering, and louder exhaust.

You can do track without PTM but not PTM without track.

You cant. PTM isnt ‘available’ in Track, PTM is Track, it bypasses your driving mode. Set your Vmode suspension to sport and you lose the double tap to PTM. Or set the driving mode to Tour and select PTM and note the harsher ride, stiffer steering, and louder exhaust.

You can do track without PTM but not PTM without track.
That's not true. Go try it, you'll see. Set your Vmode for whatever you want, and you can get PTM with, say, Tour exhaust and Sport steering.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back