Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Track mode engine/throttle reponse dull

savethemanual

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT4 V blackwing
Apologies if asked/answered previously- search did not turn anything up.
In V mode with engine turned all the way to track is the throttle response supposed to be more dull/progressive?

I typically drive around in my mode where there's no engine mode customization and that seems more responsive than the V mode's engine track setting.

Apologies if asked/answered previously- search did not turn anything up.
In V mode with engine turned all the way to track is the throttle response supposed to be more dull/progressive?

I typically drive around in my mode where there's no engine mode customization and that seems more responsive than the V mode's engine track setting.
All depends on what settings you picked for V-mode. Turn everything up to max and there's a drastic difference from everything at lowest setting. Play around and see what you find 😀

Then yes, you should feel a significant difference when you jump on the accelerator with engine/shift set to third setting. That setting is not available in My Mode.

I'm sure the shifts are more aggressive in an automatic but I do think the throttle becomes more progressive when you select engine to track. Kind of like the brake pad feel on track setting is more progressive. But I haven't tested it back to back much on the street much to know for certain.

Based on my feel, when the engine setting is in track, the throttle response becomes much more linear, i.e. it is close to 1:1, i.e. 50% pedal = 50% throttle, 100% pedal = 100% throttle, etc. This is better for the track because it allows much better throttle modulation through a corner. The reason this feels odd is that it is pretty much opposite of every other car's "sport mode", in which the throttle map is usually cranked up so that say 50% pedal = 100% throttle, which makes the car feel faster than it actually is. I know my Genesis G70 did this, where sportier modes = less linear throttle.

Thankfully the Blackwing engineers were concentrating on making the car actually faster rather than just feeling faster. 👍

Based on my feel, when the engine setting is in track, the throttle response becomes much more linear, i.e. it is close to 1:1, i.e. 50% pedal = 50% throttle, 100% pedal = 100% throttle, etc. This is better for the track because it allows much better throttle modulation through a corner. The reason this feels odd is that it is pretty much opposite of every other car's "sport mode", in which the throttle map is usually cranked up so that say 50% pedal = 100% throttle, which makes the car feel faster than it actually is. I know my Genesis G70 did this, where sportier modes = less linear throttle.

Thankfully the Blackwing engineers were concentrating on making the car actually faster rather than just feeling faster. 👍
Correct. This is what I feel too. In non track mode for engine there’s definitely some artificial jumpy response and in track it feels kinda natural.

Yes I agree. In the most aggressive throttle setting I find it much easier to stall the car compared to My Mode.

Correct. This is what I feel too. In non track mode for engine there’s definitely some artificial jumpy response and in track it feels kinda natural.
Also, keep in mind, that a quick deep stab of the accelerator (feels like kickdown) will put you in performance shift mode which changes everything yet again.

I feel that track mode is the 'true' high strung track mode compared to a full send V mode, as already stated. There are probably some things in the software and programming side of things unique to track mode because the car feels quite different from a full send V mode. Engine is louder and more responsive, for one.

V mode is just a quick changeover if I wanna pass someone or have a nice section of a twisty road. I set My Mode to basically a modified sport mode with soft suspension, medium steering, and sport mode engine/exhaust. My V mode is also a modified sport mode with everything full send except for the suspension which is in the middle. I keep the brakes at full stiff for both because I want to be accustomed to the braking feel. And track, I plan to use exclusively on the track.

I’m happy there are 2 custom modes with the Blackwing. I never use regular sport mode since I have my own via V mode. And Touring is just for long highway cruises. I spend the majority of my driving in My Mode and V mode.

I feel that track mode is the 'true' high strung track mode compared to a full send V mode, as already stated. There are probably some things in the software and programming side of things unique to track mode because the car feels quite different from a full send V mode. Engine is louder and more responsive, for one.

V mode is just a quick changeover if I wanna pass someone or have a nice section of a twisty road. I set My Mode to basically a modified sport mode with soft suspension, medium steering, and sport mode engine/exhaust. My V mode is also a modified sport mode with everything full send except for the suspension which is in the middle. I keep the brakes at full stiff for both because I want to be accustomed to the braking feel. And track, I plan to use exclusively on the track.

I’m happy there are 2 custom modes with the Blackwing. I never use regular sport mode since I have my own via V mode. And Touring is just for long highway cruises. I spend the majority of my driving in My Mode and V mode.

I also agree that there are differences in the modes beyond what the sliders say. Track mode steering also feels heavier than V mode with steering turned all the way up.

Also putting the car into a more aggressive PTM mode changes the engine sound beyond what the slider says.

I bet there are probably thousands of possible combos for this car based on the non customizable drive modes, customizable drive modes, combined with PTM modes.

I also agree that there are differences in the modes beyond what the sliders say. Track mode steering also feels heavier than V mode with steering turned all the way up.

Also putting the car into a more aggressive PTM mode changes the engine sound beyond what the slider says.

I bet there are probably thousands of possible combos for this car based on the non customizable drive modes, customizable drive modes, combined with PTM modes.

I noticed that suspension stiffens up when I activate PTM when in My Mode and V mode as well.

After doing some not-so-scientific testing of drive modes on the street, I can say with certainty that track mode is definitely much more hardcore than a full send V mode. The steering is heavier, the throttle response is sharper, it pulls harder to redline, the exhaust is louder with more pops and burbles, braking is more sensitive, and the suspension feels a tad bit stiffer. The car is... transformed for track performance as the mode selector suggests. Track mode is the more appropriate choice for track driving, rather than a full send V mode. There is definitely a backend software and programming difference.

After doing some not-so-scientific testing of drive modes on the street, I can say with certainty that track mode is definitely much more hardcore than a full send V mode. The steering is heavier, the throttle response is sharper, it pulls harder to redline, the exhaust is louder with more pops and burbles, braking is more sensitive, and the suspension feels a tad bit stiffer. The car is... transformed for track performance as the mode selector suggests. Track mode is the more appropriate choice for track driving, rather than a full send V mode. There is definitely a backend software and programming difference.
Interesting, I am going to have to test the modes more. I have a 6MT and really only notice the suspension and exhaust note differences. I can't tell and difference in performance. I usually run in MyMode, which is basically a copy of Sport but with the exhaust cranked up.

- The suspension difference between Tour and Sport is noticeable, Sport and Track not so much, maybe a touch.
- The exhaust note between Tour and Sport is obvious, while Track mode just enhances the pops and burbles on the overruns. Sport closes the valves a bit to quiet them up.
- The steering is noticeable, I prefer Sport.

Compared to my C8, I would say the drive mode differences are the same as the Corvette's. Track steering is far more precise and less assisted in Track Mode (almost like power steering vs. no power steering)

Is there any difference in your PTM setting for V or Track? Within the PTM settings it does cite reduced engine power unless in race 2 mode

Is there any difference in your PTM setting for V or Track? Within the PTM settings it does cite reduced engine power unless in race 2 mode
I wouldn’t be able to tell you until I take it to the track next week. I’d have to be driving the car at sketchy speeds on the street to make full use of PTM. That’s a bit too risky for my blood. But I will say that activating PTM on any seemingly any mode stiffens up suspension. I have a short twisty road close to my house that I did these unscientific tests on. There is also a really bumpy section where pot holes have been filled and then filled again and again. That goes on for like 40 feet. My Mode is what I drive in normally and it’s set to the softest suspension setting. The moment I activate PTM, I can feel the compression stiffen up quite a bit. I did the same with V
(medium suspension setting for me) and Sport mode, so I assume activating PTM brings the suspension to Track mode settings at the very least. Track mode suspension feels like it has a tad bit more compression and rebound compared to V mode full stiff, but I’d need a track to really compare the two. It could also just be in my head.

PTM making suspension stiff kind of makes sense. For the most part, most people that take these on track will have it in Track mode, so GM probably programmed PTM to work only with the Track suspension settings. No sense in optimizing PTM for Tour or Sport mode to be honest.

I wouldn’t be able to tell you until I take it to the track next week. I’d have to be driving the car at sketchy speeds on the street to make full use of PTM. That’s a bit too risky for my blood. But I will say that activating PTM on any seemingly any mode stiffens up suspension. I have a short twisty road close to my house that I did these unscientific tests on. There is also a really bumpy section where pot holes have been filled and then filled again and again. That goes on for like 40 feet. My Mode is what I drive in normally and it’s set to the softest suspension setting. The moment I activate PTM, I can feel the compression stiffen up quite a bit. I did the same with V
(medium suspension setting for me) and Sport mode, so I assume activating PTM brings the suspension to Track mode settings at the very least. Track mode suspension feels like it has a tad bit more compression and rebound compared to V mode full stiff, but I’d need a track to really compare the two. It could also just be in my head.

PTM making suspension stiff kind of makes sense. For the most part, most people that take these on track will have it in Track mode, so GM probably programmed PTM to work only with the Track suspension settings. No sense in optimizing PTM for Tour or Sport mode to be honest.
Sorry, I meant do you have a different ptm setting in each mode? I thought maybe that could be a reason for the difference you're perceiving

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back