Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Track Mode

The PTM mode does certainly override some settings, but depending on which PTM mode you're in you still have some freedom for adjustment. For example, in my V mode I have PTM purposely set to 'dry' so that if I engage that setting via the double tap, I can still leave my suspension setting to sport (key point, not track) and still access launch control. However, it will not allow you to retain the softest suspension setting even in PTM dry

FYI - Competitve Mode (Sport - hold button down for 5 sec) and Track - All off are the only modes that provide full engine power at all times.

Guys who drag their cars, Competitive Mode is the preferred mode.

FYI - Competitve Mode (Sport - hold button down for 5 sec) and Track - All off are the only modes that provide full engine power at all times.

Guys who drag their cars, Competitive Mode is the preferred mode.
Does Competitive Mode need to be reactivated every time the car is turned on?

There’s a lot of old farts, pushing buttons on their high-performance vehicles, with no idea what those modes will do!!

The way GM chose to design their drive mode functionality is unintuitive at best and insulting at worst. Seriously: I have to manually enable Competitive Mode while the car is in the Sport drive mode in order to access the car's full engine power, and I have to do that every time I restart the car?

The way GM chose to design their drive mode functionality is unintuitive at best and insulting at worst. Seriously: I have to manually enable Competitive Mode while the car is in the Sport drive mode in order to access the car's full engine power, and I have to do that every time I restart the car?
Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the full engine power is on tap at all times. I think it's just the amount of assistance and throttle response that changes when different modes are engaged.

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the full engine power is on tap at all times. I think it's just the amount of assistance and throttle response that changes when different modes are engaged.
Correct, the modes change throttle pedal shaping, how quickly the computer will invoke on wheel spin, and how much the computer will respond to that wheel spin.

Correct, the modes change throttle pedal shaping, how quickly the computer will invoke on wheel spin, and how much the computer will respond to that wheel spin.
I'd be grateful if someone could interpret this for me, from Cadillac CT4 Owner's Manual (Page 245 of 399) | ManualsLib

My interpretation is that Competitive Mode turns off ST/ESC and enables the same power level as RACE 2, while leaving all other settings set to SPORT. All other modes limit power to varying degrees.

WET
  • Intended for all driver skill levels.
  • Wet or damp conditions only
  • intended for use in heavy rain or standing water.
  • StabiliTrak/ESC is on and engine power is reduced based on conditions.
DRY
  • For use by less experienced drivers or while learning a new track.
  • Dry conditions only.
  • StabiliTrak/ESC is on and engine power is slightly reduced.

SPORT
  • For use by drivers who are familiar with the track.
  • Dry conditions only.
  • Requires more driving skill than DRY.
  • StabiliTrak/ESC is on and more engine power is available than in DRY.

RACE 1
  • Dry conditions only.
  • Requires more driving skill than modes DRY or SPORT.
  • StabiliTrak/ESC is off and available engine power is the same as SPORT.

RACE 2
  • For use by experienced drivers who are familiar with the track.
  • Dry conditions only.
  • Requires more driving skill than in other modes.
  • StabiliTrak/ESC is off and engine power is available for maximum

Last edited:
I'd be grateful if someone could interpret this for me, from Cadillac CT4 Owner's Manual (Page 245 of 399) | ManualsLib

My interpretation is that Competitive Mode turns off ST/ESC and enables the same power level as RACE 2, while leaving all other settings set to SPORT. All other modes limit power to varying degrees.

WET
  • Intended for all driver skill levels.
  • Wet or damp conditions only
  • intended for use in heavy rain or standing water.
  • StabiliTrak/ESC is on and engine power is reduced based on conditions.
DRY
  • For use by less experienced drivers or while learning a new track.
  • Dry conditions only.
  • StabiliTrak/ESC is on and engine power is slightly reduced.

SPORT
  • Dry conditions only.
  • Requires more driving skill than DRY.
  • StabiliTrak/ESC is on and more engine power is available than in DRY.

RACE 1
  • Dry conditions only.
  • Requires more driving skill than modes DRY or SPORT.
  • StabiliTrak/ESC is off and available engine power is the same as SPORT.

RACE 2
  • For use by experienced drivers who are familiar with the track.
  • Dry conditions only.
  • Requires more driving skill than in other modes.
  • StabiliTrak/ESC is off and engine power is available for maximum
StabiliTrak is a response to the car being yawed (it is pointing a different direction than it is actually moving). That system has a variety of tools to bring a car back into control.

Engine power is related to traction control and looks for wheel spin which is distinct from yaw. Here, the system will reduce engine power and/or apply brakes to limit the spin. This is what handles launch control.

Wheel spin can induce yaw via on-throttle oversteer, so the StabiliTrak system will limit engine power to fight yaw-inducement. The less restrictive a setting you use, the more yaw is allowed (therefore less engine power is withheld). A wet track is more traction-limited than a dry track, hence the wet setting is more restrictive than the dry setting.

My understanding is Competitive Driving Mode is that it uses the traction control system to manage the initial launch, but afterwards it does not further prevent wheel spin, and the stability control systems allow more yaw, and so its possible to spin the car (say, by off-throttle oversteer). Other settings stay as they were.

Last edited:
StabiliTrak is a response to the car being yawed (it is pointing a different direction than it is actually moving). That system has a variety of tools to bring a car back into control.

Engine power is related to traction control and looks for wheel spin which is distinct from yaw. Here, the system will reduce engine power and/or apply brakes to limit the spin. This is what handles launch control.

Wheel spin can induce yaw via on-throttle oversteer, so the StabiliTrak system will limit engine power to fight yaw-inducement. The less restrictive a setting you use, the more yaw is allowed (therefore less engine power is withheld). A wet track is more traction-limited than a dry track, hence the wet setting is more restrictive than the dry setting.

My understanding is Competitive Driving Mode is that it uses the traction control system to manage the initial launch, but afterwards it does not further prevent wheel spin, and the stability control systems allow more yaw, and so its possible to spin the car (say, by off-throttle oversteer). Other settings stay as they were.
So would it be more accurate to say that full power is available in the four drive modes (Tour, Sport, Track and Snow/Ice), but power is limited depending on the corresponding PTM setting chosen within those drive modes?

Which is the ideal setting for a drag race? I tried playing with modes a little last year while at the track. I never went full retard with everything off but was thinking maybe that is the golden ticket. This is with an A10.

So would it be more accurate to say that full power is available in the four drive modes (Tour, Sport, Track and Snow/Ice), but power is limited depending on the corresponding PTM setting chosen within those drive modes?
Power is not limited by virtue of being in any specific drive mode. The drive modes dictate how aggressively the computer will reduce power when it detects wheel spin and/or yaw.

At spring mountain, IIRC, we used V mode with everything maxed AND second press to go to sport PTM

(fixed it so it's not so funny anymore)

Last edited:
There’s a lot of old farts, pushing buttons on their high-performance vehicles, with no idea what those modes will do!!

I was reading these posts and my head was exploding......I'm clueless about this stuff. I just smash the gas pedal and this car goes, no matter what mode I'm in !
Did you know, that every time you push the "V Mode" button, somewhere a Mustang crashes ?

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back