Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

PTM question

BimmerFan

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
CT5-V BW 6spd
I haven't been to the Spring Mountain class yet, so I've had no education on PTM, and I bought my car remotely so the dealer never had a chance to show me 'nuttin.

Reading the owner's manual, I came across these descriptions.

RACE 1. For use by drivers who are familiar with the track.. Dry conditions only.. Requires more driving skill than modes DRY or SPORT.. StabiliTrak/ESC is off and available engine power is the same as SPORT.
RACE 2. For use by experienced drivers who are familiar with the track.. Dry conditions only.. Requires more driving skill than in other modes.. StabiliTrak/ESC is off and engine power is available for maximum cornering speed.

So, my questions are simple.

It appears that in Race 1 or Race 2, there is no stability control or traction control. The only difference between the two is "engine power" but I'm seriously doubting that they actually limit engine power, but instead they have changed the mapping (sensitivity) of the throttle. Is my assumption correct?

My other question is for launch control. Since the description only lists what to do with the automatic, I presume that there is no launch control for the manual transmission, correct?

Thanks all. My car is still in the break-in period, so I really can't experiment much right now.

When I was at SM, the only time we used the PTM was when we were doing the 0-60 runs. Other than that, I also have no idea how or when to use it. It will probably be the least used switch in the car.

There is no launch control for the manual. On the 0-60 runs they just had us floor it in neutral and drop the clutch. Revs are limited to a set number. My notes show that traction control is still on for both, less on R2. Stability control is off for both. I wrote active handling is off for both. Those were my notes from the class and I think they are correct. I also copied these slides from a web presentation:
1695665485834.png

1695665513997.png

1695665670880.png

1695665699037.png

I think for the custom launch control you can set the launch rpm for MT, but the slip target does not apply. No line lock either.

Last edited:
When I was at SM, the only time we used the PTM was when we were doing the 0-60 runs. Other than that, I also have no idea how or when to use it. It will probably be the least used switch in the car.
When I was at SM we did all runs in PTM sport mode with the exception of the wet spin out session.

Dirkbg, might want to play around with your car a bit more.

Launch control for the manual is in PTM Sport. Once you have that engaged you can set up other launch parameters. Put the car in PTM Sport and start digging in to the V Performance menu. Or read the V Performance addendum manual.

Yes Line Lock works in the manuals

o6oi5i.jpg

hc85o4.jpg

Yes you can adjust the slip target in the manuals, from 5% to 15%

wjx0ra.jpg

qqxik3.jpg

Last edited:
Well, that wasn't covered at SM on the 0-60 when I was there, other than the mention of the possibility of changing the rev limiter. The autos did get some discussion of the line lock but they told us manuals to just push the accelerator to the floor and then drop the clutch.

Well, that wasn't covered at SM on the 0-60 when I was there, other than the mention of the possibility of changing the rev limiter. The autos did get some discussion of the line lock but they told us manuals to just push the accelerator to the floor and then drop the clutch.
Well that usually results in a lot of wheel spin when I do that. We used Launch Control on the 6M at SM when I was there.

The only difference between PTM Race 1 and Race 2 is in how much intervention you get to prevent wheel spin under acceleration. When there is sufficient traction, both provide the full power of the engine. In practice, I doubt any of us will notice the difference even on a track. In either mode you will have no yaw control to prevent a spin and the PTM is really designed only to limit wheel spin at full throttle.

Launch control is an available in any PTM setting including dry. You can also do this in any drive mode just by toggling the PTM selector (you don't have to be in sport or track drive mode). What I like to do is set my V mode's PTM setting to something, usually just dry or sport. Then when I engage V mode if I hit the button twice (you'll be prompted on the screen) it'll put the car into my V mode PTM setting and thereby enable launch control. Usually you hit the V button for more aggressive driving so it's convienent to have a PTM setting enabled there.

Custom launch control (where you dictate the rpm setpoint) can only be adjusted in track mode.

Launch control is an available in any PTM setting including dry. You can also do this in any drive mode just by toggling the PTM selector (you don't have to be in sport or track drive mode). What I like to do is set my V mode's PTM setting to something, usually just dry or sport. Then when I engage V mode if I hit the button twice (you'll be prompted on the screen) it'll put the car into my V mode PTM setting and thereby enable launch control. Usually you hit the V button for more aggressive driving so it's convienent to have a PTM setting enabled there.

Custom launch control (where you dictate the rpm setpoint) can only be adjusted in track mode.
Just to clarify, the PTM knob is another way to go into Track when anything above Dry is selected. The user manual doesn’t explain this very clearly.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back