Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V 2023 CT5 Blackwing Engine Failure (Shavings)

CT5-V Model

CT5BW757

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
23 CT5 BW
Hello everyone. Figured a start a thread for advice. My 23 CT5 BW with 10500 miles went into the shop on Monday. Heard yesterday they found metal in it and I need a new motor. No lights, no nothing just a small tick I brought it in for. Dealer is great, has me in a loaner and has been super responsive. They don’t know the eta on the new motor and frankly I dont want it. My state (VA) auto lemon laws in 30 days if within 18 months which I am. Any advice on how to get GM to get me a new car instead of a Blackwing built by the dealer?

Lawyer up.
I’ve heard the dealership will Lemon law it for you after 30 days at least in regards to a replacement vehicle. I’m sure I would need a lawyer if I denied that route and asked them to write me a check. I’m going to wait and see what the time line looks like but mainly I don’t really want the car back. I would take another however.

I see you're local to me. I'm assuming Rick Hendrick Cadillac has your car? If so, I've dealt with the Service Advisor Joe Waller and a check engine light on my '23 5BW. He was always fantastic.

Sorry to hear this. Please keep us posted.

I see you're local to me. I'm assuming Rick Hendrick Cadillac has your car? If so, I've dealt with the Service Advisor Joe Waller and a check engine light on my '23 5BW. He was always fantastic.

Sorry to hear this. Please keep us posted.
I used to work for RH Cadillac and Joe is a personal friend of mine. I ordered my car from RH but took my car to Suttle because of recent changes to the staff at Hendrick. I would have taken it to Joe but frankly I didn’t want to put that on him as my friend.

Did you buy the Orange one they got from Butler?

Last edited:
Hello everyone. Figured a start a thread for advice. My 23 CT5 BW with 10500 miles went into the shop on Monday. Heard yesterday they found metal in it and I need a new motor. No lights, no nothing just a small tick I brought it in for. Dealer is great, has me in a loaner and has been super responsive. They don’t know the eta on the new motor and frankly I dont want it. My state (VA) auto lemon laws in 30 days if within 18 months which I am. Any advice on how to get GM to get me a new car instead of a Blackwing built by the dealer?

Who built your motor? I'm curious if all the failures are linked to one (or more) people or if it's a general manufacturing issue.

Sorry to hear about your car. But cool to see 2 other local BWs. (Va Beach as well)

I used to work for RH Cadillac and Joe is a personal friend of mine. I ordered my car from RH but took my car to Suttle because of recent changes to the staff at Hendrick. I would have taken it to Joe but frankly I didn’t want to put that on him as my friend.

Did you buy the Orange one they got from Butler?
I actually bought mine from Cincinatti Cadillac May of last year and had it shipped. But I’ve utilized RH for the initial state inspection and a couple visits for the CEL.

I’m sorry to hear this. Bypass the dealer, go straight to GM and initiate a buyback. Be prepared to have the door shut in your face - don’t take no for an answer. Be persistent.

I had a 2018 Bolt that had a recall on the battery where it couldn’t be charged past 80% for risk of a fire - no fix for months. GM eventually bought the car back - this was in 2021, three years after my purchase.

It was a nightmare dealing with them. I eventually found regional VPs in my area on LinkedIn and started emailing them. Don’t leave it in the dealers hands to advocate on your behalf and don’t pay a lawyer - just be persistent. All said and done, Chevy gave me two options: buy back at market value, or a new Bolt - I took the $$.

Anthony Goins I believe
This might not be a good idea to list the person who built your motor. I am thinking of liability. Maybe you want to delete your post or delete the name of the builder of your engine from your post.

I’m sorry to hear this. Bypass the dealer, go straight to GM and initiate a buyback. Be prepared to have the door shut in your face - don’t take no for an answer. Be persistent.

I had a 2018 Bolt that had a recall on the battery where it couldn’t be charged past 80% for risk of a fire - no fix for months. GM eventually bought the car back - this was in 2021, three years after my purchase.

It was a nightmare dealing with them. I eventually found regional VPs in my area on LinkedIn and started emailing them. Don’t leave it in the dealers hands to advocate on your behalf and don’t pay a lawyer - just be persistent. All said and done, Chevy gave me two options: buy back at market value, or a new Bolt - I took the $$.
It is my understanding that my state auto lemon laws if my car is out 30 days in a row within 18 months of new car delivery. If/when that happens I will absolutely not be accepting anything but a buyback or a new car. My issue and what I need to do is get GM to understand I don’t want it back even if the dealer turns it around unbelievably fast and beats the 30 days. I think you’re right. I need to get with them ASAP.

This might not be a good idea to list the person who built your motor. I am thinking of liability. Maybe you want to delete your post or delete the name of the builder of your engine from your post.
It’s definitely not a liability. Someone asked and I just stated a name that is public knowledge. But thanks

It is my understanding that my state auto lemon laws if my car is out 30 days in a row within 18 months of new car delivery. If/when that happens I will absolutely not be accepting anything but a buyback or a new car. My issue and what I need to do is get GM to understand I don’t want it back even if the dealer turns it around unbelievably fast and beats the 30 days. I think you’re right. I need to get with them ASAP.
Just prepare a script and repeat it every time they try to convince you otherwise.

“This repair goes beyond any reasonable expectation from what an owner can expect, and what a vehicle can potentially incur during the warranty period. The procedure is invasive, and will most likely have downstream effects on other systems within the vehicle inside or outside of the warranty period. I wouldn’t feel safe operating the vehicle with a new engine and even if I was, the skill needed to accomplish the repair to complete specifications and quality control cannot be accomplished at a franchised dealer. Please proceed with the buyback and explain what my options are at this point.”

Just prepare a script and repeat it every time they try to convince you otherwise.

“This repair goes beyond any reasonable expectation from what an owner can expect, and what a vehicle can potentially incur during the warranty period. The procedure is invasive, and will most likely have downstream effects on other systems within the vehicle inside or outside of the warranty period. I wouldn’t feel safe operating the vehicle with a new engine and even if I was, the skill needed to accomplish the repair to complete specifications and quality control cannot be accomplished at a franchised dealer. Please proceed with the buyback and explain what my options are at this point.”
Love that, thanks a lot brother

Brilliant. Well done.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners