Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Gas Guzzler Tax Added to Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing

Lord I'm confused. Did I pay $2100 more for my 2023 5BW than a 2022 owner or $2100 less than a 2024 owner or none of the above?

Lord I'm confused. Did I pay $2100 more for my 2023 5BW than a 2022 owner or $2100 less than a 2024 owner or none of the above?
tenor.gif

This has been my understanding based on the posts in this thread.

In the past, GM baked the gas guzzler tax into the MSRP of the vehicle and the number was listed within the fuel economy section. Moving forward, it will be listed as a separate line item and MSRP will be increasing accordingly.

Anyone who buys a new 5BW today will be paying $1700 to $2100 more than you did.

Anyone who buys a new 5BW today will be paying $1700 to $2100 more than you did.
Exactly! By removing it from being buried in the MSRP and creating a separate line item, while not reducing MSRP the same amount, they are effectively passing on an increase in a way that most consumers will never notice.

Its like cereal, the contents are reduced but the prices remains the same.

At least for the 5 I don't think buyers are going to pause much with the government surcharge.

At least for the 5 I don't think buyers are going to pause much with the government surcharge.
Yeah, it's the same as the gas tax, cigarette tax, and sugar tax that the government has tacked on over the years. We will pay for our addictions, and they know it. It's never been about stopping behavior, just capitalizing on it for their own gain - haha.

Looks like the online configurator now takes the tax into account.

Screenshot 2023-08-04 at 2.53.45 PM.png

Yep, nothing new. The gas guzzler tax was enacted 45 years ago. Trucks were considered commercial vehicles and were exempted. SUVs barely existed.

Trucks were considered commercial vehicles and were exempted. SUVs barely existed.

.....and that's why our "can't get nothing done" gov't needs to up date this, especially all the HD pickups and heavy SUV's

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back