Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V 2023 CT5 Blackwing Engine Failure (Shavings)

CT5-V Model
I filed a claim with the BBB Auto Line. this is the link BBB AUTO LINE
My car has been a nightmare. My first major problem happened around 4,000 miles and that's when my alternator went out. the next major fail was my water pump. Both times I had to get the car towed. This latest visit to the dealer was for a couple of things. One day while driving I got a message telling me that the "rear axle is off" and my check engine came on. Took it to the dealer and the rear axle message had disappeared but the check engine light was still on. they told me I needed to replace my passenger-side catalytic converter. Got the car back and drove it home and the car was hesitating and would not rev out. It was also making a horrible sound when shifting through the 7th gear. took the car back and one of the service advisors rode with me. They concluded that it needed a new rear diff. While making sure the new rear diff was installed correctly the car was still hesitating. They pulled the codes from the car and saw that a cylinder was misfiring because of a bad spark plug. After further investigation, the failed spark plug had caused damage inside the engine, and the motor needed to be replaced. This was the straw that broke the camel’s back for me. After uploading all my service records dating back to April of last year it only took GM a week to agree to either buy the car back or give me a new one. I'm taking the money and running away as far as possible from GM. I've owned a lot of cars and all of them combined have not caused me this much stress as this one. And I've owned several German cars, and that's saying a lot. It sucks because I enjoyed this car when it was running right.
Sorry I forgot to ask you. How long was your car in the shop before you called the BBB auto line? Did you get lemoned for number of trips to the shop or consecutive # of days in the shop? Thanks brother

The Blackwings are "track capable" cars as advertised. Therefore, in theory not designed and engineered to "prematurely" fail at 10K miles whether its on a track, or even less as a daily driver as we know.

Process at times fail, parts fail and so that said stay on the dealer and GM and document everything possible if you decide to keep her.... It's still a fantastic car and unfortunately someone, gets that one of the few...Looks like that may have been the case here.

Good luck and stay strong with your requests and position to both GM and your dealer. Your making payments while its sidelined I assume. Keep us posted pls.

The Blackwings are "track capable" cars as advertised. Therefore, in theory not designed and engineered to "prematurely" fail at 10K miles whether its on a track, or even less as a daily driver as we know.

Process at times fail, parts fail and so that said stay on the dealer and GM and document everything possible if you decide to keep her.... It's still a fantastic car and unfortunately someone, gets that one of the few...Looks like that may have been the case here.

Good luck and stay strong with your requests and position to both GM and your dealer. You’re making payments while it’s sidelined I assume. Keep us posted pls.
Thanks man. Dealer is great and I’m not going to give GM the chance to say no. Right now the dealer is still having the replacement authorized and trying to get a timeline for parts. I think in another week depending on what they say I’ll get a legal opinion. I don’t want to use it I just want to know my position. If they turn it around super fast cool. But I’m not going to cut them any slack or good will on keeping it past when I have other options.

Are you just not that into this car? I don't understand the faulty engine to lemon law path. Plugging in another engine from the line isn't that bug of a deal, its not a piece of art. Global B knows everything, so if they missed something you'll know.

Are you just not that into this car? I don't understand the faulty engine to lemon law path. Plugging in another engine from the line isn't that bug of a deal, it’s not a piece of art. Global B knows everything, so if they missed something you'll know.
The lemon law is just for time. I know that’s when GM will start to expedite if my car isn’t finished. I’m not letting it sit around for 60+ days. But the new engine is not to be underestimated. Definitely a value killer for resale and a black mark even if it runs great. I don’t want my money back. I just want my car back promptly or a new one if they want to let me get one haha.

Guys/Gals what years and ending vin#'s are you so we can maybe get an idea at the time frames etc? It's looking like a improper cleaning step and what remains in block/galleys/ passages etc. depending on how much crap is not removed it eventually starves off the bearing oil feed. Not good folks as we are ticking time bombs if that's the case?

Perhaps another tic box (voluntary) in the registry for warranty engine replacement or some such would give some tracking/search ability. I understand that the fact might not want to be advertised (ex. resale), but anyone that would buy a pre-owned car in the future would do due diligence and find this information anyway.

When I buy used cars, I always look for a service history and I avoid cars that have had extensive warranty work. Even if I buy from a private party, I can still get the service history at a local dealer with the vin number. If the local dealer won't give me the information, I can still call the customer service and find out the information. Carfax also provides some service history, but it is not 100 percent complete.

And people ask me why I got my first oil change at 1427 miles. Its better to catch any metal shavings at the earliest possible timeframe before it craps the bed. I too would be looking for a new car and not a new engine at only 10k miles. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Become a thorn in their ass until they take care of the situation and make it right. I posted on here that my brother just got a 2024 Mercedes Benz S580 and within 3 weeks it had a check engine light , spent about a month at the dealership waiting for a new ECU from Germany. Now it seems to be alright.

I'm spending the $35 on diff and oil cks with Blackstone. Paper trail just in case, with 3rd party sources that know their business. Im changing fluids like clockwork and to me its a simple investment to continue to enjoy my car. So far so good. On resale, I will share the result as a conversation piece. That's a long ways....aways! LOL!

Unfortunately, I have had a horrible experience with GM and Cadillac and I feel that people considering buying GM/Cadillac should know how they treat their customers and how they stand by their products. In the last four years I have bought a 2020 Chevrolet Corvette C8, a 2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, a 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing Maverick Noir Frost edition from Sewell Cadillac in Dallas, TX, and a 2024 Chevrolet Corvette Z06. I had always purchased European brands such as Porsche, BMW and Audi, because I love performance cars. However, that changed in 2020, and I bragged that I liked my Blackwing better than my 2022 BMW M5 CS. Subsequently, I not only purchased GM performance vehicles, but have been an active member in their forums and as part of the Cadillac V-Club, attending many IMSA races as a member. I would think that I am the type of customer that GM would appreciate and would like to maintain as a customer.

Unfortunately, my 2023 Maverick Noir Frost CT5-V Blackwing has not provided the reliability that I would expect from Cadillac or GM. In December of 2023, I noticed that my car was running rough, like it was misfiring. I called my local dealership, Baker Cadillac in Charleston, SC to let them know and they took it in for service. It was ready to be picked up 6 days later and I was told that it was just a bad tank of gas, and to refill the tank and run a new tank of gas through it. I did that, but it did not improve. It became worse to the point that when I would accelerate harder, it would drop cylinders and severely misfire, making the car unusable. I brought the car back to Baker Cadillac and the technician rode with me and then looked in the cylinders with a scope and found that cylinders 2 and 6 had been scorched - later determined to likely be because cylinder sensors either did not work or were not installed/properly. The engine was exchanged under warranty, but I was without my vehicle for 50 days.

During this time, I called Sewell Cadillac, where I purchased the vehicle, and explained that I was very concerned that the resale value of this PERFORMANCE COLLECTOR vehicle would be severely diminished, because in my experience, a problem like this has always affected the value of a performance vehicle. I was told by Sewell that it would not affect my value, and so being skeptical, I asked for a trade-in value on a new 2025 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing that I had already requested and planned to purchase. I was given a value $30,000 less than MSRP for a vehicle only 5 months old with only 3,500 miles on it. Just 5 months prior, I had traded my 2022 Cadillac CT5V Blackwing with 10,000 miles on it to the same dealership for only $10,000 off MSRP - and it wasn’t even a special edition color. Auction sites like Bring-a-Trailer and Cars-and-Bids were showing that regular Blackwings with a similar year and mileage were selling for about $10,000 off sticker, and the Special Edition Frost colors (Emerald Green Frost and Maverick Noir Frost) were selling for about MSRP. I also asked at least five dealerships how replacing the engine would affect the value of the car, and they all told me that the failed engine would result in “diminished value” of my vehicle in the range of about $20,000-$30,000, especially since it is on my Carfax report. In fact, the Chevy store told me that they would not even accept it on trade-in with a replaced engine.

I contacted GM’s customer service repurchasing department and spoke with Jake and he explained that a representative from GM would contact me. I heard nothing from these representatives for over a month which was extremely poor customer service. I had to call Jake from GM, and the Sales Manager for Sewell Cadillac, over and over for a month until a representative from GM finally called me - I was planning on leaving the vehicle at the Baker Cadillac dealership since I did not want to deal with the vehicle and its problems any more. After weeks of trying to get information from regarding the repurchase, I was finally told that he would have a “big” meeting with the upper executives and that he would relay my very clearly stated intention for GM to stand behind their vehicles and their loyal customers and buyback my lemon. I even offered to contractually purchase a new 2025 Blackwing and remain a loyal customer. I do not blame GM for the engine failure as I understand these things happen, but I do blame and hold responsible the manufacturer for poor customer service and making the customer the one who suffers the “diminished value” consequences. The engine failure is none other than GM’s fault and of no fault of my own. GM has tremendously more resources and finances to correct this problem and make it right, than do I. However, I was shocked to find out that they were NOT going to buy it back for MSRP and let me purchase a new one this year, but instead offered a “Trade Repurchase” plan to purchase/trade it in at the then current values when the new 2025’s came out at the end of 2024. Furthermore…even better, any miles and time that would accrue as I drove it in the next 9 or so months (assuming it didn’t break again), would continue to decrease the value of my car - as a third party would determine the value at that time. This was a horrible deal as it continued to stick me the customer with the “diminished value” problem that GM created. This is not right. This is not fair. This is not how a company with GM’s stature and reputation should treat its customers.

After all of this, my “check engine light” came on again the day after I got my vehicle back from the Baker service department. I again dropped the car off and it was determined that it had a bad catalytic converter related to the engine failure. This was replaced and the car returned to me - another 7 days without my car. In total, my brand new Blackwing has been into the repair shop on 3 different occasions for a total of 63 days! All while I have been spending time going back and forth and Ubering to pick up and drop off the car, and that I have had to continue to make payments each month.

The most surprising thing to me, is that for a company like GM, this could have been an easy customer service win for GM. GM could have maintained a loyal customer who has spent a lot of money on GM performance products and planned to buy more. Now, due to how this event was handled, I will never buy a GM product again!

Since it appears that I am not the only one dealing with this problem, please let me know of others who have suffered engine failures. Especially with the poor customer service by GM, maybe this warrants a class action cause.

I don’t think there is enough failures like yours, to warrant a class action suit. Even so, the only winners in them are the lawyers getting paid.

Unfortunately, these manufacturers of ALL cars ....Do Not Care.....about any of their customers , unless you are famous and have a TV show and can say something that would impact the bottom dollar of their products. The bean counters at corporate know that there will be some lemons , for whatever reasons, and they just don't care. They already have your money and made a tidy profit off of you. Even if you threaten and follow thru to never buy another one of their products, there is another customer waiting in the wings to buy what they are selling.
It always seems to be a coin flip if you are going going to get a good vehicle.....or not.

It always seems to be a coin flip if you are going to get a good vehicle.....or not.

.....and that's what scares me to buy anything....new or preowned. I know what I have. Why did you trade your (fill in any one year old model with low miles here)? Is it a POS? Can't afford the payments? Just don't like it? Why?

GM could have maintained a loyal customer who has spent a lot of money on GM performance products and planned to buy more. Now, due to how this event was handled, I will never buy a GM product again!
First of all, I'm sorry to hear of your issues. Best of luck.

Second, it seems to me that anecdotally GM does not know of, care, or consider our past history when it comes to support.

I'm reminded of my "adventure" with my BMW M2. It had a lot of issues, and every time I'd deal with the dealer, after two visits where they couldn't fix it, they'd escalate the issue to BMW Corporate and I'd get involved with them and eventually it got fixed. On the last issue, I had to meet with the regional engineer to have him drive it and recognize and diagnose the issue since the dealership techs could not. I met with him and the service manager and the first thing out of his mouth was "I see that you have been a long-time BMW customer and I want to thank you for your loyalty." Then they fixed the car. I never got any financial reimbursement from them, despite numerous trips to the dealer, many days without the car, and a lot of headaches. But the regional guy knew who I was, how many cars I had bought and how long (or at least for as long as they kept these computerized records) I had been a customer. I have no doubt that if I brought my Cadillac in for service, they would be totally clueless about me since I've previously bought Chevrolets and bought this car from a different dealer.

GM is, I fear, a victim of its size and management by bean counters rather than engineers.

I can tell you that the Cadillac (and other GM dealerships) do track your car by VIN#. They have a computer main access where they can see everything that THEY have done to service your car. I was called to my local dealer to take a police report about some shady guy who had bought a Escalade and was using it as a Uber/Lyft and limousine service. he had been taking the car to many different dealerships to get the brakes pads and rotors replaced "under warranty", claiming premature wear. Somehow he had been rolling back the odometer in the computer and keeping it in warranty mileage. The dealership where I responded was able to see the service records at another dealership and the time and mileage did not match up. They removed the new parts and put the old ones back on . The owner called the police to report the civil dispute. The service tech gave him back the car and sent him on his way. The service tech then told me that they "red flagged" his VIN # so that any other dealer will immediately deny him service.

I'm reminded of my "adventure" with my BMW M2. It had a lot of issues, and every time I'd deal with the dealer, after two visits where they couldn't fix it, they'd escalate the issue to BMW Corporate and I'd get involved with them and eventually it got fixed. On the last issue, I had to meet with the regional engineer to have him drive it and recognize and diagnose the issue since the dealership techs could not. I met with him and the service manager and the first thing out of his mouth was "I see that you have been a long-time BMW customer and I want to thank you for your loyalty." Then they fixed the car. I never got any financial reimbursement from them, despite numerous trips to the dealer, many days without the car, and a lot of headaches. But the regional guy knew who I was, how many cars I had bought and how long (or at least for as long as they kept these computerized records) I had been a customer.
It’s a shame that a person needs to spend $1 million on a car brand to get any decent customer service. Do you have a good relationship with your local Rolex dealer. I’m looking for a new watch.

It’s a shame that a person needs to spend $1 million on a car brand to get any decent customer service. Do you have a good relationship with your local Rolex dealer. I’m looking for a new watch.
LOL, I do, the owner is also a car enthusiast, and I'm on the list for a SkyDweller. I'll never see it though...

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back