Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Gas Guzzler Tax Added to Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing

Do you have your window sticker? It's not listed anywhere in the top section with all the pricing, it's down in the box in the lower left where it talks about fuel economy. It doesn't look like it's a new charge.
Yes and I have a $2,100 "gas guzzler" tax on the window sticker, but it's not included in the price of the vehicle's MSRP and I paid MSRP. Since I bought out of state, I didn't pay any taxes as those went to the state I registered the vehicle in, so I literally paid MSRP and a doc fee of $150, and that was it on my purchase order.

I would assume that either GM was covering this in the past to help incentivize the purchase of their last hurrah in the ICE world as they weren't sure how well it would sell, and now after seeing how well they sold and as they transition away from the car, they're passing the tax on to the dealers/customers.

This is purely an assumption and I could be wrong, but going off the fact I didn't pay for it when I purchased new in June, and that GM made the announcement they did, it seems reasonable.

I'm confused, I thought this was always included. Is this just a change in the way GM are showing the gas guzzler tax? To show a slightly lower base price, and itemize the tax separately?

Past: Gas guzzler tax shown, but included in base price.
Present: Gas guzzler tax itemized separately, added to the base price??

My '22 BW5 sticker shows the $2100 tax in the box in the lower left. But there is no itemized addition of this amount in the pricing area in the top right.

Yes and I have a $2,100 "gas guzzler" tax on the window sticker, but it's not included in the price of the vehicle's MSRP and I paid MSRP. Since I bought out of state, I didn't pay any taxes as those went to the state I registered the vehicle in, so I literally paid MSRP and a doc fee of $150, and that was it on my purchase order.

I would assume that either GM was covering this in the past to help incentivize the purchase of their last hurrah in the ICE world as they weren't sure how well it would sell, and now after seeing how well they sold and as they transition away from the car, they're passing the tax on to the dealers/customers.

This is purely an assumption and I could be wrong, but going off the fact I didn't pay for it when I purchased new in June, and that GM made the announcement they did, it seems reasonable.
Unfortunately, you know what happens when you assume. That gas guzzler, tax was baked into your MSRP….. moving forward, it’s now going to be itemized, so, you did pay for it when you purchased it in June.

Unfortunately, you know what happens when you assume. That gas guzzler, tax was baked into your MSRP….. moving forward, it’s now going to be itemized, so, you did pay for it when you purchased it in June.

I believe GM was covering that cost, now YOU are paying that cost. It's called profits.

I do wish the gov't would wake up and charge this to all the big SUV's and HD pickups, and force the manufacturers to post the EPA numbers of them. All these tough guys with their HD diesel pickups to tow their 6000 pound travel trailers four times a year, like my neighbor with his RAM. Really?

Perhaps, but if that is the case then the GM Announcement that Rob posted in the OP doesn't make a lot of sense.

I believe GM was covering that cost,

They were not. They can't. It's a tax that YOU HAVE TO PAY, as the customer. It's to punish YOU for buying an evil, gas-guzzling pig. It only punishes the manufacturer because they have to add that cost to the sticker which risks turning folks off.

@jvp ....Not going to argue. I'll wait to see an updated window sticker. That will show how it's calculated. It was never broken down on the Moroney as a line item, so I'm not sure who, how or if it was paid.

They were not. They can't. It's a tax that YOU HAVE TO PAY, as the customer. It's to punish YOU for buying an evil, gas-guzzling pig. It only punishes the manufacturer because they have to add that cost to the sticker which risks turning folks off.
Gas guzzler tax has been applied to the 5BW since day 1. Thread here. It was rolled into the cost and has appeared on every window sticker. Here's a crop of the sticker from VIN 001:

1690475581995.png

GM is now passing that cost on to the consumer. This is another MSRP increase but this time with an 'eyeglasses with fake nose' disguise.

They stick us with a gas guzzler tax and we the taxpayers have to pay most ev owners a tax rebate for their electric cars. How is that fair?

They stick us with a gas guzzler tax and we the taxpayers have to pay most ev owners a tax rebate for their electric cars. How is that fair?

.....and when are we going to apply some kind of "tax" to all the EV owners who are using the roads and not paying gasoline taxes (State or Fed) to fix them? Especially when most EV's weigh more than comparable ICE cars causing even more road damage. Well, there's a Pandora's box!

I like fat politicians.

Attachments

• chris christie fat picture - Google Search.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 91
It's not true that customers are responsible for this tax. You can look up this information with details in less than a minute. Manufacturers and importers can choose to pass on the tax though. They can pass it on by inflating the MSRP or they can line item it. If they separate it from the MSRP then it's suppose to appear on the Monroney sticker. The current requirement for passenger cars is 22.5MPG which means even the 4BW is costing GM.

Even though they did list it on the 22 model sticker, they were not charging for that line item which means it was already built into the MSRP of the vehicle on release. The fact that they are now charging for it just means that they have raised the effective MSRP of the vehicle again.

We are getting pretty close to a government/political discussion and @Rob is going to start slapping guys.....

Sorry to offend anyone, but if we're going EV, it's a conversation governments must have. Yes, truth matters....even in politics. The longer the conversation is put off, the more people with EV's will be pissed off when and if a EV tax is passed. Isn't it more fair to come up with a EV tax, than to raise everyone's taxes to pay the ever shrinking gas tax kiddy? OK, I'm done....I think

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back