Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

2023 CT5 Blackwing engine failure

At least Ford was pretty quick, initially, about replacing motors in the GT350 when they turned into oil burners. Mine was done at 6K miles and took about a month to get the replacement motor and get it installed. Too bad Caddy is dragging this out to you. Then it burned up 1 alternator and two AC compressors....
You were lucky, mine took months from jumping through their hoops to even get them to acknowledge it needed a new engine…….to actually getting one and getting it in the car. I was lucky though and had a very good dealer. Ford finally did right by me, but it was probably four months in total. I should’ve lemonade that car.

I can understand the level of frustration you’re at. We’d all be the same. But continuing to blame your builder and adding fear is so Covid-2019. Please add the other catastrophic engines from the same builder if you disagree.

Continuing to blame the builder? I documented the name of the builder and no more. If I were to blame any single thing most responsible, it would be government efficiency standards which have dramatically reduced reliability across all manufacturers. No different than what similar regulations have done to dishwashers and washing machines.

Lemon laws vary between states, but in my case (NC) you have to give the manufacturer the opportunity to fix the problem after notifying them of the impending intent to use that law. That's where we are now, it's just taking too darn long.

In defense of GM, they likely don't have any spare engines laying around, and so it does need to be scheduled into production, and that can be challenging.

The upside of threatening to sue under a lemon law is that you will make corporate aware of the issue, and if the OP is so inclined, might institute a buyback.

In California, regardless of how many times the car has been back to the dealer for the same problem, if the car is in the shop for 30 days or more, it falls under the guidelines of the lemon law. Stick it to them!

Are you in email communication with Cadillac Customer Service? I would want a documentation trail of all the happenings. That way you are not tied to any one person and not subject to being left behind if they leave the company. Any by all means, ask for an escalation.

If you are a member of the VClub, post this tale of woe on their member-only page. Several Cadillac execs do monitor that site and have helped several of us with various things stuck in the mill....

Florida is similar. I'd be looking into it if I was in this position.

Last edited:
They should buy it back or offer a new one to you, since the new motor is backordered till forever. As most said, most states have the 30 day rule.......fix it in 30 days or buy it back or offer up a replacement.

@CT5BWenthusiastHope it gets worked out soon, you are probably still within the time frame to lemon it. If you bring up buyback or lemoning it, sometimes that lights a fire under the right people.
Looks like Louisiana lemon law takes 90 days (or 4 repair attempts).

MANUFACTURER’S DUTY TO REPURCHASE OR REPLACE A VEHICLE

The manufacturer must repurchase or replace a motor vehicle (other than a motorhome) if either of the following occurs:
1. The nonconformity is not repaired after four or more attempts within the warranty term or within one year of the vehicle’s original delivery to the consumer, whichever is earlier, or

2. The vehicle is out of service by reason of repair for cumulative total of 90 or more calendar days during the warranty period.

I do question if jurisdiction falls under Texas or Louisiana, given the car was purchased in Texas but is registered in Louisiana and is being repaired in Louisiana. I have the Louisiana statute open and there is strong language of qualification at 45 days. Texas appears to have similar language at 30 days.

Continuing to blame the builder? I documented the name of the builder and no more. If I were to blame any single thing most responsible, it would be government efficiency standards which have dramatically reduced reliability across all manufacturers. No different than what similar regulations have done to dishwashers and washing machine

I can understand the level of frustration you’re at. We’d all be the same. But continuing to blame your builder and adding fear is so Covid-2019. Please add the other catastrophic engines from the same builder if you disagree.
Who else do you blame other than GM, the builder? Isn't that why GM has a warranty with each car?

It can happen to all makes.....for example.......NEVER buy a 911 GT3 in the 991.1 model......those things are self-destructing quite a bit, even with the replacement motors....even the 992 GT3 and GT3RS have noted engine failures. The 997.1 had the issues with the intermediate shaft bearing failing and bore scoring now......and it's showing up in the 997.2 now as well. The 350 had failures.....from oil burning to failure of a cam tensioner to pop to the right position and keep the timing gear in synch. Both of my V2's.....had no issues at all.

Blaming someone etc why the engine blew is a moot point IMO.

You can blame the manufacturer, GM and the specific dealer in this case, for how poor they treat their customers when a problem like this arises.

You blame the parts maker if they sent something faulty. FYI, GM isn't running a machine shop cutting heads, pistons, etc.
GM gives input to the manufacturers for the specs for the parts. The bottom line is that GM is responsible.

GM gives input to the manufacturers for the specs for the parts. The bottom line is that GM is responsible.
Yes but only because they are the last one in the assembly line.

For a defective part, GM probably makes a deal with the manufacturer who made the bad part. Shared responsibility

As with any large company they have an entire department dedicated to supply chain management. Each contract is separately negotiated and a company as big as GM has a lot of leverage on the terms of the contract. But ultimately, the prime is responsible the product in it's entirety as delivered to the customer.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back