Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

What made you choose a Blackwing and what else did you consider?

GTI is a fun car but not quite the same fun factor as RWD.
Agree - I'm always cursing FWD....but I've done lots of chassis stiffening/bracing, larger sway bars,lowering coilovers with camber adjustment and such where I actually oversteer with it and it does really corner and track well. And got to admit - spinning out through the gears all the while wickedly accelerating can be great fun. Its quite nimble and very fast (understatement)....great driving car...even if powered entirely with the wrong set of wheels...sounds great too (often visibly scares folks when I pass them full out....I try to be mindful....particularly when passing other old folks....like me).

My '99 Integra GS-R was really fun to track with the Comptech RSB. Very neutral with a touch of oversteer when the endlinks were adjusted correctly. My '02 GTI was the same way but the turbo wasn't as fun as the high revving B series motor. However, adding some APR tuning really woke up the 1.8T

adding some APR tuning really woke up the 1.8T
I'll bet it did! When I went Stage 1 with my original 2010 GTI (totaled by eldest son)...I always felt this was what the car should have been from the factory.

I bought our 2012 GTI used where it was already Stage 3 (big turbo) with a mechanical LSD....wow - what a little beast! I transferred my short shifter, coilovers and all the other handling bits from our totaled 2010 and then added downpipes and cat back SPM exhaust.

Once when I took the car in to Volkswagen for some recall maintenance several of the techs came out thrilled by the car telling me I had put every possible tasteful upgrade on the car - best they had ever seen. Got to admit - its a very fine driver.

The RX-7 1st gen or almost any gen, except maybe modified 3rd (those had lots of issues) is not about speed. What I liked about them was they were inexpensive and you could drive them like a go-cart on the street. Something that is not possible with a 4BW or 5BW.
I had a 3rd gen (FD) RX7 from 1993 to 2001...car was a blast but blew the apex seals after doing mods without tune...it somehow survived 8 years and 96k miles on the original engine but drove like crap towards the end. I should have kept it stock but even stock it had issues (overheating, complex sequential turbo setup with that gap in the power band, rat's nest of vacuum hoses etc). When it ran right it was great (light weight, balanced and enough power)

I had a 3rd gen (FD) RX7 from 1993 to 2001...car was a blast but blew the apex seals after doing mods without tune...it somehow survived 8 years and 96k miles on the original engine but drove like crap towards the end. I should have kept it stock but even stock it had issues (overheating, complex sequential turbo setup with that gap in the power band, rat's nest of vacuum hoses etc). When it ran right it was great (light weight, balanced and enough power)
I have not driven one, but have seen the engine rat's nest. Turbocharging a rotary engine is a bad idea. The NA ones were actually very reliable. I had a 1991 RX-7 for a few years and I sold it to a friend. She took it to Montana and drove it there in the snow for 10 years and later she told me it was a great car and didn't give her any serious trouble.

The RX-7 1st gen or almost any gen, except maybe modified 3rd (those had lots of issues) is not about speed. What I liked about them was they were inexpensive and you could drive them like a go-cart on the street. Something that is not possible with a 4BW or 5BW.
Totally agree! My 2004 RX8 was a great platform with stellar transmission, exceptional handling, a distinctive sound, and it was an absolute thrill to push to its limits. Sure, the engine required "attention", but with the right care, it rewarded me well. It was actually the RX8 that introduced me to the world of car forums, as I dived into learning about the engine mechanics, troubleshooting, and repairs. Back in my college days, I worked 10 hours a week as a research assistant, and I'll admit, a good chunk of that time was spent on forums. The engine lasted a solid 10 years and clocked in over 104k miles. Even though it was still capable of hitting the redline, it felt like it was on borrowed time. Trading it in was tough, especially since I got a minimal return, but at the time, lacking a garage meant I couldn't keep two cars street parked. And yes, my RX8 was also Velocity Red as my 4BW.

Last edited:
It was between an m3 and the ct4.

The M3 was much more expensive and it definitely has more clout / stereotypes surrounding bmw/m3.

The M3 w/ the manual i was looking at came out to like 10k+ more than the bw.

Ultimately, even though the bw was just a tad bit slower in a straight line the driving dynamics felt superior to the M3. I rarely take someone in the backseat so the rear legroom wasn't a concern because the M3 was a bit roomier in the back.

I like the sleeper effect as well, most people don't know what a blackwing is and they just assume it's a regular Cadillac. Most people are shocked when they find out it's a manual.

I fell a bit behind following this thread, so I didn't get to chime in on all of the BMW M5 bashing last weekend. LOL

I drove an M5CS with the wife at the BMW Performance Center in SC. She said, "you should buy this" to which I replied, "it's $135K and no". I found the ride (as in most BMW M cars) too stiff and it's too much money. That said, it is a phenomenal car, absolutely mind-boggling performance.

I've had 3 (yes, three) E39 M5s, the best car that BMW ever made. Even so, I always thought that the suspension was unnecessarily firm. It wasn't harsh like so many M3s are, but still a bit much. We won't discuss the constant, never-ending, frequent and continuous issues that seem to come up with those things.

So... in the "other things to consider" point that this thread started with, I decided that my BW is just too fast, too powerful and too expensive for me to take to the track. I am, or have become, a big ole' pussy, and I just don't want to go that fast. It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow. In the middle of that spectrum, I bought a C6 Corvette. A base car, not the Z06, not a Z51, just a plain-old basic car. I'll slap some decent brake pads on it and go have some (slow) fun at the track. I just got it yesterday. Compared to the BW, it's just hilarious, super light clutch pedal, nowhere near the torque, although the ride is surprisingly good (I had one of these before, 12 years ago, but forgot most of it) and it's more "sporty" there's no question that I prefer the BW.

Nice write up BimmerFan - enjoy your C6.

E39 M5 was phenomenal for the time (and still respectable to this day)...but a bit on the expensive side. I was aware of it and the very nice 540i but never considered it - both due to price and my preference for a somewhat smaller, sporty, more nimble car.

Once I drove the 330 ZHP I knew it was the car for us. Didi a European delivery, drove 1200 miles in 3 weeks through Germany, Austria and France, dropped it off at Charles Du Gaul and 3 weeks later did another pickup at a local BMW dealer. Everything was great....on;y I got a very weird case of strep real bad that kept me from driving the Nuerbergring. E39 M5 would have been a blast on that trip and to own as well.

I had a Ram 1500 for the past 5 years. I was all over the place about what would replace it. I was waiting for Toyota to release the 4th gen Tacoma so I could buy a TRD Pro, but I was disappointed when it was announced. I test drove several EVs/PHEVs (Ford Lightning, Kia EV6 GT, Volvo XC60 Recharge) and a bunch of ICE cars, but I didn't think anything would make me as happy as my Ram did. About a month ago, I saw an Electric Blue CT4-V and realized that every time I saw that car in that color, it made me smile, so I decided to look for an EB 4BW, figuring that since it may be my last non-electrified daily driver, I might as well go out with some American muscle.

2 weeks in, I think I made the right decision.

I had a Ram 1500 for the past 5 years. I was all over the place about what would replace it. I was waiting for Toyota to release the 4th gen Tacoma so I could buy a TRD Pro, but I was disappointed when it was announced. I test drove several EVs/PHEVs (Ford Lightning, Kia EV6 GT, Volvo XC60 Recharge) and a bunch of ICE cars, but I didn't think anything would make me as happy as my Ram did. About a month ago, I saw an Electric Blue CT4-V and realized that every time I saw that car in that color, it made me smile, so I decided to look for an EB 4BW, figuring that since it may be my last non-electrified daily driver, I might as well go out with some American muscle.

2 weeks in, I think I made the right decision.
Unless you’re much younger than I, don’t expect this car to be your last ICE vehicle.
Tech is not up to par yet on EV, it will come just not in my lifetime!

Unless you’re much younger than I, don’t expect this car to be your last ICE vehicle.
Tech is not up to par yet on EV, it will come just not in my lifetime!
I’m pretty confident about that. They’re just too good performance-wise for me to keep ignoring. Most of my gripes had to do with the “normal car” part of them than the EV tech.

Edit: I forgot to reiterate that I’m only talking about my daily driver. There will always be a spot in my heart and garage for something with a gas or diesel engine 😂.

I’m pretty confident about that. They’re just too good performance-wise for me to keep ignoring. Most of my gripes had to do with the “normal car” part of them than the EV tech.

Edit: I forgot to reiterate that I’m only talking about my daily driver. There will always be a spot in my heart and garage for something with a gas or diesel engine 😂.
I need to clarify will not be your LAST NEW ICE vehicle! 😎😁

I'm re posting this just for clarification

"I got banned from ever test driving cars at my local Mazda dealership after I took an RX8 out with a salesman in the passenger seat. He kept telling me to slow down...and I told him I'm buying a car to do the kind of things I want to do in it and I have to see if it can. He was screaming at me after we got out of the car. BTW both my boys were in the backseat (loving it)...car handled great BTW...but could have been a bit quicker..."

Disclaimer: Never did this involve any super high speeds...it all was on extremely tight curvy portions of road in a wooded area....no animals were harmed...and it was nothing unsafe or beyond any capabilities - mine or the cars...nor did it exceed anything I might normally do in one of my own cars. Admittedly, I have a few friends that refuse to ever get in a car with me (with me driving). But my boys love to ride with me even to this day. End of statement.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back