Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Warranty Block on 4BW M6

bl4ck_wng

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing, Razor E100
something I have never seen posted before on here:

prior owner money shifted at 2k miles and the dealership voided his warranty

anyone seen this before?

1708361622582.png

It's not surprising. This is commonly seen with Spring Mountain Corvette school cars, where they have certain warranty blocks when sold as used cars.

backstory from the owner -- he bought it from an older gentlemen who performed the money shift

third owner in 2500 miles

Yes, on other cars. The Acura RSX-S, a fun little Acura with a six speed and tight shifter that many people hit 2nd and not 4th on the down shift and grenaded their engines. At some point Honda said, nope, we are not covering that anymore.

How much is a new powertrain?

Didn't money shift guy post on here when that happened? Either that or someone posted the story, I remember reading it.

If this happened at spring mountain would the insurance cover that? I noticed in one document it said 'external damage'

Asking for a concerned friend going to SM shortly

Despite every Blackwing reviewer coming up with their own smart ass way of saying buyers have to choose the manual, they reality is many, if not most, should not. These are not cars to "learn how to drive a manual". You either did that 30+ years ago or you didn't.

PS - make sure you get the manual :Steer

This is good reason to buy an automatic and check to see if there is a warranty block before buying a used car. Also, can't they design a rev limiter so this doesn't happen with a manual transmission? Is that possible?

Despite every Blackwing reviewer coming up with their own smart ass way of saying buyers have to choose the manual, they reality is many, if not most, should not. These are not cars to "learn how to drive a manual". You either did that 30+ years ago or you didn't.

LOL so if your 30 year younger self had a choice of a slightly faster shifting/performing auto or manual you would have went auto?

This is good reason to buy an automatic and check to see if there is a warranty block before buying a used car. Also, can't they design a rev limiter so this doesn't happen with a manual transmission? Is that possible?

BMW Wants to Eliminate Money Shifts From Manual Transmissions In the Future Does BMW's Anti-Money,might cause any mechanical damage.

Had never driven a single manual before buying mine.

Do you want manufacturers to stop making them? Because your approach is why they stop making them.

We need more people to get in and try. I did a lot of stalling for about two weeks. The car didn't explode.

I feel like this is something that needs to be disclosed by the dealer to a potential buyer.

I was looking at used Z06s and I didn’t realize Chevy/GM has been canceling warranties on cars that have been sold before the first owner had them for six months. It was one of their ways to try and stop the flipping of them/driving the prices up. Any way, I’m guessing there are quite a few Z06s out there without a warranty and to my knowledge the dealers aren’t disclosing this.

Any way, buyer beware on used performance cars.

I don't know if other manufacturers do the warranty block, but this is the first I have heard of this practice.

It is possible. They would have to design a gate or a solenoid that would slide into place to keep from being able to shift into the wrong gear above a certain RPM. Kind of like the 1-4 shift that we all hated. It would just work in the opposite way under different parameters.

Had never driven a single manual before buying mine.

Do you want manufacturers to stop making them? Because your approach is why they stop making them.

We need more people to get in and try. I did a lot of stalling for about two weeks. The car didn't explode.
Not at all. My approach is accountability. If you are new manual driver, or a seasoned one, and you are blasting in 2nd gear and unfortunately go back to 1st instead of 3rd, that is your problem. Don't blame Cadillac for your error and say there should be an electronic safety system or something. This thread is about the warranty block, and it makes perfect sense to me.

It is possible. They would have to design a gate or a solenoid that would slide into place to keep from being able to shift into the wrong gear above a certain RPM. Kind of like the 1-4 shift that we all hated. It would just work in the opposite way under different parameters.

This would be beneficial, for sure, to eliminate the possibility of money shifts. I've been lucky to not have ever money shifted enough to pop an engine, but it's always in the back of my mind when tracking my manual cars. And, I don't like taking manual cars in for warranty work as you don't know if the grease moneys are going to do something stupid.

Finally, I'll only buy PDK P-cars now as I never want to pay for a $70k+ GT3 engine if I f-up on the track. :D

I learned to drive manual on my brand new C7 Z06 nearly 5 years ago and have gone through multiple other high performance manual cars. I've never once had an issue or come close.

These are absolutely cars you can learn on. The gears so are tall in these cars that if you money shifted you should probably have your license taken away.

Pretty sure the original was an old man who did the money shift, grandpa should probably rethink manuals at his age.

Su
I learned to drive manual on my brand new C7 Z06 nearly 5 years ago and have gone through multiple other high performance manual cars. I've never once had an issue or come close.

These are absolutely cars you can learn on. The gears so are tall in these cars that if you money shifted you should probably have your license taken away.

Pretty sure the original was an old man who did the money shift, grandpa should probably rethink manuals at his age.
Of course anyone can be taught to drive a manual using one of these cars. I owned both 4 and 5 in manual. I would use the 4 to teach my son but not the 5.

It's also different with people buying the car and respecting it. Anyone can learn to drive a manual. It's really easy as you know.

I stick to my belief that if you screw up the motor, clutch, or tranny because of a lack experience or a catastrophic error, it is your fault. Don't try to have GM repair something you screwed up.

Not at all. My approach is accountability. If you are new manual driver, or a seasoned one, and you are blasting in 2nd gear and unfortunately go back to 1st instead of 3rd, that is your problem. Don't blame Cadillac for your error and say there should be an electronic safety system or something. This thread is about the warranty block, and it makes perfect sense to me.
Yes, this we agree on. If I money shift it, it's very much a me problem.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back