Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Anyone ever see these exhaust tips on a '22 CT4 BW before?

Carmax is literally a dumping ground for modded and bastardized cars that a regular dealer won’t touch. Burning oil? Take it to car max. Tuned? Take it to car max. Check engine light that comes back like a bad taco the next morning? Take it to Carmax.

Update:

Well after trying to get this resolved through the local dealer and corporate customer support and been denied any kind of help. Yes, it was a purchase from CarMax.

I have many pics of my exhaust and what a true Blackwing exhaust should look like. But have been denied any kind of help from either of them. So, for the search engines:

CARMAX: Buyer beware! Selling vehicles without original parts! CarMax Customer support is unsupportive!

I'm not sure of my next steps. I'm thinking BBB (which won't do much) or maybe even small claims court? But I'm just an engineer and don't know too much about that stuff. Anybody got any other suggestions? I only expect it'll cost me about $2k to make it right but now it's the principle of the matter, isn't it?

Chris E.

Update:

Well after trying to get this resolved through the local dealer and corporate customer support and been denied any kind of help. Yes, it was a purchase from CarMax.

I have many pics of my exhaust and what a true Blackwing exhaust should look like. But have been denied any kind of help from either of them. So, for the search engines:

CARMAX: Buyer beware! Selling vehicles without original parts! CarMax Customer support is unsupportive!

I'm not sure of my next steps. I'm thinking BBB (which won't do much) or maybe even small claims court? But I'm just an engineer and don't know too much about that stuff. Anybody got any other suggestions? I only expect it'll cost me about $2k to make it right but now it's the principle of the matter, isn't it?

Chris E.
Consumer affairs department of your state attorney general may be helpful.

Will depend on what CarMax disclosed to you though as I don't think it's illegal to sell non-factory cars in most cases.

If this thing doesn't have cats/can't pass emissions that's probably your best bet.

unfortunately you bought a used car as-is and unless you can prove carmax lied/misled you to believe those parts were original i dont think there is much legal ground here and you'll end up dealing with it out of pocket yourself

unfortunately you bought a used car as-is and unless you can prove carmax lied/misled you to believe those parts were original i dont think there is much legal ground here and you'll end up dealing with it out of pocket yourself
Exactly. A used car is not guaranteed to be like it came from the factory (unless specifically stated). The onus is on the buyer for the details.

Update:

Chris E.

If you need help with part numbers/pricing lmk as I work for a dealer with an online parts division.

- Benny

Update:

Chris E.

I’m not sure I understand what legal issue you have here. Unless Carmax took the factory exhaust off after you examined the car on their lot and paid for it, I’m not seeing what they have done wrong. This is a part that is visible when you look at the car. Probably a bigger concern is what else has been modified that you can’t see. Any previous owner who thought those tips were an upgrade is clearly of questionable judgment/intelligence so lord knows what else they “improved!”

Funny you should mention that. It's been to a Cadillac dealer but not gone over in detail. Just pulled the OBDII codes from the computer and the RPO build codes from the VIN.

The funny part of the story is that I was taking a buddy of mine to the Cadillac dealer to check on his order for his brand new CT5. He saw my CT4 one morning at breakfast....three days later sold his Buick....three days later he placed his order. He's still waiting.

Chris E.
I bet he is still waiting. I think "in transit" means stored in a yard in lansing somwhere. :)

Update:

Chris E.

I hate to break it to you but this one is on you. Chalk it up as a loss and move on.

There is nothing the dealership did wrong and there is no reason they should help you with a replacement. You knowingly bought the car this way so now the responsibility is on you to "modify" the car to your liking.

Carmax is literally a dumping ground for modded and bastardized cars that a regular dealer won’t touch. Burning oil? Take it to car max. Tuned? Take it to car max. Check engine light that comes back like a bad taco the next morning? Take it to Carmax.

Lots of misinformation in this statement.

CarMax is like any other dealer and will buy anything and everything with 4 wheels. Where CarMax differs from a regular dealership is they do not sell cars to the public with known defects, modifications, questionable history, or requiring major reconditioning. Obviously some things can fall between the cracks but that is not the norm for their business model.

These cars then go to CarMax's weekly auction and get bought by dealers for their own inventory. Believe it or not, wholesale for CarMax brings in a good portion of their revenue as the wholesale volume far exceeds their front lot sales (public).

I hate to break it to you but this one is on you. Chalk it up as a loss and move on.

There is nothing the dealership did wrong and there is no reason they should help you with a replacement. You knowingly bought the car this way so now the responsibility is on you to "modify" the car to your liking.
Yes. I'm slowly moving into acceptance of your statement above. I did not do my due diligence. The car WILL be restored to it's original configuration. It seems now that it will be on my own dime. (you'd think CarMax could afford it....it'll only be about $2.5k)

I'm just highly disappointed by CarMax in not taking at least a partial responsibility. And believe me, any forum I am on, or any car guy I talk to whose ear I can tug on WILL hear this story about how CarMax sold me a car that did NOT have correct parts on it.

Thanks again for all the help and advice everyone.

Chris E.

Last edited:
Yes. I'm slowly moving into acceptance of your statement above. I did not do my due diligence. The car WILL be restored to it's original configuration. It seems now that it will be on my own dime. (you'd think CarMax could afford it....it'll only be about $2.5k)

I'm just highly disappointed by CarMax in not taking at least a partial responsibility. And believe me, any forum I am on, or any car guy I talk to whose ear I can tug on WILL hear this story.

Thanks again for all the help and advice everyone.

Chris E.

There is no reason they would take partial responsibility. They didn't force your hand to buy the car, you signed the papers on your own terms.

On the bright side, I would hold out looking for a replacement exhaust. These exhausts will be worthless one aftermarket options are available OR totaled BWs start appearing.

RobC7....funny you should say that about replacement exhaust. I've already purchased one and it's sitting in my shop now :) It appears to have come from a tuner shop where they just cut it off from a BW. My theory is that very purpose you mention. Of installing an aftermarket unit.

It's just going to take my time and effort to install it.

Chris E.

So a little back history to make a short story longer:

I'm the 3rd owner. It's an early '22 CT4-V Blackwing. 46-043. There's no doubt that it's a BW. I've even had a Cadillac dealer pull the rpo codes from the VIN and all the Easter Eggs are there also. But these exhaust tips are not correct. Has anyone else ever seen these before? According to my research they are not correct. They look factory installed and are complete with what looks like the stock exhaust cans and valves. My only theory is maybe a supply chain problem early on made the factory put these things on. Any other theories? The car has a clean record of never being in an accident.

Chris E.
No.

RobC7....funny you should say that about replacement exhaust. I've already purchased one and it's sitting in my shop now :) It appears to have come from a tuner shop where they just cut it off from a BW. My theory is that very purpose you mention. Of installing an aftermarket unit.

It's just going to take my time and effort to install it.

Chris E.
How does your newly purchased cut lines line up against the cut lines on your car? Would be a little furked up if you bought the original back.

I bought a Carmax 997.2 C4S, shipped from Floruduh to Md. It was missing the owners manual, the rear fender covers and other bits. I talked to Carmax and got a list of prices for all the items from Suncoast, sent it to Carmax and they paid for all of it after I had bought the car, cost was 1300 or so.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back