Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Pops out of 1st gear

Scaroline

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT4-V Blackwing
I have a CT4 BW and I started to notice at around 1200 miles that when I'm stopped at a signal and try to go into first gear, it sometimes just pops out back into neutral with a quick grind sound. I presume this is because it didn't go all the way into first gear but this only started happening at 1200 miles. Never occurred before. Has anyone else experienced this before?

My car has 550 miles and does this with reverse mostly. Usually, I think it's just because I am not passionate enough when I put it in gear lol. I am sure it's just that, maybe move your seat up a fraction of an inch, that way your muscle memory doesn't need to adjust but you will be putting it slightly further into gear.

I have a CT4 BW and I started to notice at around 1200 miles that when I'm stopped at a signal and try to go into first gear, it sometimes just pops out back into neutral with a quick grind sound. I presume this is because it didn't go all the way into first gear but this only started happening at 1200 miles. Never occurred before. Has anyone else experienced this before?
5 here, 1st popped out a few times on me early-on and before I learned to feel it engage. It just takes being deliberate vs how some rubbery linkages can be casually thrown into 1st. I've come to really enjoy the quality snick and beefiness.

I've occasionally had difficulty going into 1st on some transmissions. Try going into 2nd first then right up into first, That often helps proper engagement for me.

Ugh…The only reason it would pop out of gear in that situation is if your foot wasn’t fully down on the clutch or you tried using your pinky finger to push it in gear. Maybe you’re not pushing the shifter in hard enough. If you force it in and it grinds or pops out then eventually you’ll need a rebuilt/New transmission

Last edited:
I find this to be common on Tremec transmissions when they are cold. I will usually shove it into first twice very deliberately and with force on the first shift of the day before pulling out of the driveway to prevent this and I haven't had an issue since.

Seems normal on all Tremecs. My 4bw is the same till she warms, 2nd gear will reject occasionally, too. Buddy with a 6 speed Mustang Mach 1 complains similarly.

Gotta really plonk it in there, show that shifter who's boss, lol.

Not aggressively, mind you, but with a Firm Hand™.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back