Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Steel rotor brake pad replacement

frankfast97

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 ct5-v blackwing (on order)
I need to replace my pads......what is out there for replacement pads on the steel rotors? I do track it every now and then.

Franklin

I track occasionally as well and bought OEM Brembo replacements from RockAuto which tends to consistently be the lowest priced option (even they will have stock outs so sign up for the notification and move quickly when they restock.)

I want the low/no brake dust option please. The OEM's are horrible.

Oh, can't help with that. Mine don't squeal but the high brake dust is an annoyance I'll take to keep the shorter stopping distance you won't get with harder low dust pads.

I smh when I see threads in performance car forums about 'dust is so bad'!

Yes. That's how brakes work. At least Caddy gave you a choice this time by offering CCBs which are the true 'zero dust' option.
If you put 'no dust' pads on the iron rotor, you cut your braking performance in half. That's simply due to the nature of the pad material (it's mostly ceramic).

Other mitigation tactics you can use with the iron disc is to ceramic coat your wheels. You will discover brake dust has a hard time sticking and the stuff that does linger is easily blasted off by a hose.

If someone can post a picture of the label off the OEM brake package, I can send to friend at Hawk for pad shape info.

Going back in time a bit here but, my experience with Brembo's started with my Evo. Ran a number of SCCA as well as time attack races. I believe it was a Hawk HPS that was upgraded from OEM that left almost zero dust but still had just as good bite. HP+ was the next step up with more bite but would squeek before they were hot. I'm not concerned with losing a little bit on the BW as I don't go anywhere but the grocery store in it. If I were concerned like that I'd have opted the carbons.

Going back in time a bit here but, my experience with Brembo's started with my Evo. Ran a number of SCCA as well as time attack races. I believe it was a Hawk HPS that was upgraded from OEM that left almost zero dust but still had just as good bite. HP+ was the next step up with more bite but would squeek before they were hot. I'm not concerned with losing a little bit on the BW as I don't go anywhere but the grocery store in it. If I were concerned like that I'd have opted the carbons.

Then the Hawk Performance Ceramic might be the pad for you. Just gotta find out if they are available in the correct pad shape.

You have a 5BW, right?

I was able to find that Hawk does make the Performance Ceramics in the correct size.

Matthew you are my hero thanks.

how long did your pad last? mine only lasted about 250 miles,,,,,the dealership wants me to replace rotor as well. my car has 3200 miles with 250 miles track moderate driving. I am skeptical about replacing the rotor...brake pads can understand

Want clean wheels and no squeals? Ceramic....but they increase stopping distance.

Do we really need 2 piece rotors?

Want clean wheels and no squeals? Ceramic....but they increase stopping distance.

Do we really need 2 piece rotors?
I've yet to find replacement OEM rings for these brakes on the 5BW (or the V3 before.)

I've yet to find replacement OEM rings for these brakes on the 5BW (or the V3 before.)
GM sells complete assembly. Ring, hat and hardware. You can reuse the hat if you want.

And AFAIK, it’s the only way to get new hardware for the ring.

Matthew makes excellent points. I'll add a few comments if I may:

1) Brake performance is typically proportional to dust, as is rotor wear. The more aggressive the pad, the better it does in high performance situations (track) but also the more dust it generates and the quicker rotor wear. In the past, for me personally, I swap out my "track pads" back to street as well as their matching rotors (because build-up).

2) Many many many years ago I had a highly modified Corvette track car with aftermarket front brakes. The replacement pads from Brembo were expensive, and I found that performance friction would make a set for me, whatever compound I wanted, with just a tracing of the backing plate. Nice to see (I infer) that Hawk also does that now. The rotors were even more expensive ($350 each back in 1999) so I found a place in Michigan that would manufacture the rotors (I reused the hats) for around $95 each. I could send them the measurements, but since I didn't trust myself, I just sent them a used rotor and they made a set to match.

The Porsche fanbois often complain about brake dust and many of them order CCBs simply for that reason, not for performance.

Can you please provide OE Brake Pads Part #'s for 5BW w/ Steel Rotor - Front and Rear pads and/or pads with kit - I couldn't find anyone providing the part #s in my searches. Much appreciated. I believe J57 indicates Steel Rotors, and J6H indicates Carbon Ceramic Rotors.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back