Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V Minimum Thickness of Steel Brake Rotors?

CT5-V Model

sonny200

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing 6MT
Went to Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw, SC last month. For those not familiar with the track, it's a 14-turn road course with almost no elevation change & super hard on the brakes -- especially since a repave 2 yrs ago. My car did great & I had lots of fun. But, I scored up the (steel) brake rotos something awful. One other thing about CMP, the paddock area is mostly sand so it's very easy to pick up stuff between the brake pads & rotors. The pads still have life in them but I got a new set of DBA XP Performance Brake Pads from KNS Brakes on Closeout.

This is the front (right):
20231130_223728.jpg

The rear looks much better & almost normal:
20231130_223836.jpg

Instead of replacing the fronts, I'm thinking about getting them resurfaced but want to make sure I don't go below the minimum thickness.

Anyone know what the minimum thickness of the steel rotors is? TIA!

From the CT5 Service Manual...
1701404495494.jpeg

After some particularly gnarly weekends on my other track cars, I would use a hone tool on the rotor to get rid of pad transfer.

From the CT5 Service Manual...View attachment 22939

After some particularly gnarly weekends on my other track cars, I would use a hone tool on the rotor to get rid of pad transfer.
On a former car, I just used my sander and some 80 grit.

That's great info, Matt. I'll also suggest that quite often, manufacturers will stamp the minimum thickness on the side of the rotor.

Sonny, I see that we're neighbors! I'm in Cary... spent many a fun weekend at CMP.

Are there any aftermarket rotors available for the 5 BW? I know the 4 has gyrodiscs, was not able to find anything for the 5 however.

Are there any aftermarket rotors available for the 5 BW? I know the 4 has gyrodiscs, was not able to find anything for the 5 however.
I asked Cody at KNS brakes about this. He said they are currently working with one of their vendors to have one made. He mentioned they might need a donor vehicle for fitment. Since I live <20 minutes from thier office in Cary, naturally, I volunteered.

The rotors look fine. Just have them turned at any Orileys. Your issue is that you overheated the pads and basically smeared pad material into the rotors.

I had this happen to my RS3 and Fiesta ST that I used to track.

I'd suggest getting a different pad for the track, Hawk DTC60s work amazing.

Here's a photo of my Fiesta's brakes after improperly using a not aggressive enough pad to handle the heat after 1 track session.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231202-200109.png
    Screenshot_20231202-200109.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 42
The rotors look fine. Just have them turned at any Orileys. Your issue is that you overheated the pads and basically smeared pad material into the rotors.

I had this happen to my RS3 and Fiesta ST that I used to track.

I'd suggest getting a different pad for the track, Hawk DTC60s work amazing.

Here's a photo of my Fiesta's brakes after improperly using a not aggressive enough pad to handle the heat after 1 track session.
Orileys machine wouldn't fit the rotors in my experience . Nor pep boys, ended up finding a Napa shop that worked on semis and they turned mine. Ended up doing 3 more track days with those before I replaced them.

Also should note I use DTC 70s front DTC 60s rear on the track.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back