Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V Carbon Ceramic Brakes and Track Durability

CT5-V Model
Are the part numbers the same? I’d be shocked if the calipers were the same.
I’m pretty sure I read somewhere the calipers are identical and only the pad and rotors were different. I also don’t see how the calipers would be different? Part numbers are different but the CCB calipers are stamped carbon ceramic on the front whereas the standard just say V.

Screenshot 2023-07-14 at 8.24.34 AM.png

Didn't get clarification if it's the CT5-V or the CT5-V Blackwing that it's referring to, but during the Brembro Q&A with Ben Pohl, he had a slide stating that the Rear CCB Caliper has a 50% larger pad than the cast iron systems.

20170905_145708.jpg
these are the rotors off of my C6 Z06 (with Z07 package) after ~10-12 track days on them. I was able to get a good 2-3 sets of pad in their life. When they start to get towards the end of their life cycle they get pitted on the surfaces. The pitted surface becomes coarse and will shave down your pads like no one's business.

Quite frankly, I didn't think they were worth the money, I replaced the fronts only and got rid of the car shortly after. I replaced it with a ZL1 1LE and the braking performance with the steel brakes was just as good.

There's a minimum weight stamped on the hat to let you know that they're no good anymore, but on these, they met the minimum weight spec however they were no longer smooth.

Hope this helps to let you know what to look out for!

Thanks, but it’s worth noting that is the CCBs from 15+ years ago. We know the tech improved, but by how much?

these are the rotors off of my C6 Z06 (with Z07 package) after ~10-12 track days on them. I was able to get a good 2-3 sets of pad in their life. When they start to get towards the end of their life cycle they get pitted on the surfaces. The pitted surface becomes coarse and will shave down your pads like no one's business.

The pitting is from oxidation, and oxidation happens to CC rotors when they hit a certain surface temperature. They're perfectly functional in that state, but as you say: they nuke pads much faster. FWIW I ran the same brakes on my 2010 ZR1 at the track; have LOTS of experience with them.

As Sean notes, tech has progressed. The coating on the CC rotors has improved significantly to deal with higher temperatures. And GM also better understands brake rotor cooling now than they did in the C6 era.

Do the rear calipers say carbon ceramic? Anyone have a closeup pic of both front and rear calipers?

If it were 500 lbs lighter it would be a C7 Z06 :) The 5BW really is an incredible machine, but it isn't my primary track car. Lightning lap uses the Grand Course which really mutes the power advantage and also favors lighter more nimble cars.

Here's a video of me keeping up with a 991 GT3. Granted, I had more track time at VIR which gave me an edge, but still pretty impressive for a 4100 lb sedan.

Great video and thank you for sharing. I only watched the video once and am not qualified to critique, however based on my limited track time it appears that the GT3 driver was far from a newbie. You may have more experience at the track, but you obviously put in some impressive laps running against a very capable car with a good driver. Way to represent!

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back