Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V Carbon Ceramic Brakes and Track Durability

CT5-V Model

poor-sha

Seasoned Member
I realize that conventional wisdom is that CCBs don't hold up to track use, but in the recent tech talk with Brembo they seemed pretty confident in the brakes on the 5BW. I thought I'd start a thread to track how my CCB brakes are holding up to track use.

My car currently has 8390 miles and 6.34 hours of track time on it - mostly VIR and Summit Point main. I run at an advanced pace and don't go on track without the PDR running. I have a macro in Pi Toolbox that populates an Excel spreadsheet with data like session miles, duration, best lap time, etc.

Stock pads are just under 15mm in total thickness with 6.7 mm of backing plate, so you're looking at ~7mm of usable pad material.

My rear pads are the original set on the car and currently measure 12mm total thickness.

I've run two sets of front pads, my first set I replaced after 2.6 hours because I assumed they wouldn't last another 3 days at VIR and had heard not to run CCB pads below half thickness or it'll accelerate rotor wear. In retrospect, that was wrong as confirmed with the Brembo engineer who said to run them until the pad wear sensor comes on and you get to the last ~2mm of pad. Luckily I still have the pads and will put them back on, that set is currently 12mm total thickness.

The second set of front pads have 3.75 hours on them and are also around 12mm thick. This set just had VIR track time on it, whereas the prior set had a bunch of Summit Point time, so that could explain the wear difference.

The real question is how the rotor is going to be and I don't have an answer on that at this point. The rotors looks great, and measuring them with a rotor caliper shows them ~0.6mm above the minimum thickness stamped on the rotor. I have no idea what the new thickness is relative to min, so I can't use that to judge wear.

I share all this to give some data to those of you looking to buy a 5BW and track it. So far, I'll say that I am really impressed with how long the pads are lasting and how well they work. Time will tell on the rotors, and truthfully, I hope I don't have to pay for a new set.

🍿

I realize that conventional wisdom is that CCBs don't hold up to track use, but in the recent tech talk with Brembo they seemed pretty confident in the brakes on the 5BW. I thought I'd start a thread to track how my CCB brakes are holding up to track use.

My car currently has 8390 miles and 6.34 hours of track time on it - mostly VIR and Summit Point main. I run at an advanced pace and don't go on track without the PDR running. I have a macro in Pi Toolbox that populates an Excel spreadsheet with data like session miles, duration, best lap time, etc.

Stock pads are just under 15mm in total thickness with 6.7 mm of backing plate, so you're looking at ~7mm of usable pad material.

My rear pads are the original set on the car and currently measure 12mm total thickness.

I've run two sets of front pads, my first set I replaced after 2.6 hours because I assumed they wouldn't last another 3 days at VIR and had heard not to run CCB pads below half thickness or it'll accelerate rotor wear. In retrospect, that was wrong as confirmed with the Brembo engineer who said to run them until the pad wear sensor comes on and you get to the last ~2mm of pad. Luckily I still have the pads and will put them back on, that set is currently 12mm total thickness.

The second set of front pads have 3.75 hours on them and are also around 12mm thick. This set just had VIR track time on it, whereas the prior set had a bunch of Summit Point time, so that could explain the wear difference.

The real question is how the rotor is going to be and I don't have an answer on that at this point. The rotors looks great, and measuring them with a rotor caliper shows them ~0.6mm above the minimum thickness stamped on the rotor. I have no idea what the new thickness is relative to min, so I can't use that to judge wear.

I share all this to give some data to those of you looking to buy a 5BW and track it. So far, I'll say that I am really impressed with how long the pads are lasting and how well they work. Time will tell on the rotors, and truthfully, I hope I don't have to pay for a new set.
Thank you for posting this as I have CCBs but I haven't tracked them in fear of the cost and availability of the rotors and pads. I have 987.2 which is begging to be driven so that's my go to track car.

The one thing I read about CCBs is that the rotor thickness is irrelevant and can't be measured like a traditional iron rotor. I read that CCB rotors have to be removed and weighed on a scale to determine wear. When speaking to your Brembo contact, did they mention our rotors can be measured by it's thickness?

Thank you for posting this as I have CCBs but I haven't tracked them in fear of the cost and availability of the rotors and pads. I have 987.2 which is begging to be driven so that's my go to track car.

The one thing I read about CCBs is that the rotor thickness is irrelevant and can't be measured like a traditional iron rotor. I read that CCB rotors have to be removed and weighed on a scale to determine wear. When speaking to your Brembo contact, did they mention our rotors can be measured by it's thickness?
The CCB rotors have both a min weight and a min thickness stamped on them. Weighing them is probably more precise, but they also have to be cleaned using a specific procedure prior to weighing. Realistically, once they start to look pock marked, the outer coating has worn off and it's time to replace them. My assumption is that the min thickness corresponds to the loss of this layer.

BTW, front pads are cheap at ~$300 a set, but the rears are more like $800/set.

The CCB rotors have both a min weight and a min thickness stamped on them. Weighing them is probably more precise, but they also have to be cleaned using a specific procedure prior to weighing. Realistically, once they start to look pock marked, the outer coating has worn off and it's time to replace them. My assumption is that the min thickness corresponds to the loss of this layer.

BTW, front pads are cheap at ~$300 a set, but the rears are more like $800/set.
That's great, weighing them just to determine if they need to be replaced is an awful amount of work. I find it strange the rears cost nearly 3x that of the front, considering their is twice the amount of material. Sure seems like Brembo has a huge markup on those rears, unless that includes the parking brake pads.

Looking forward to see how long your rotors last on track.

Remember that the CCB rotors evaporate from the inside out. So as mentioned, measuring the thickness is generally not the right way to determine their longevity. Weighing them is. And yes, weighing them is a pain in the ass.

I believe the rotors will put up with the abuse for a while but the pads will need changing closer to 8-10s hours of track work based on what I've heard about tracking CCBs with Porsche's. Obviously the rotors are the big expense vs pads.

On Porsche's however there is a more affordable aftermarket option for ceramics, including pads, same with Corvette's. I'd look into solutions other then OEM for replacements to save money if you want to continue tracking the CCBs.

Its certainly feasible to track it but man, if I was going to do that much track time I'd get something that isn't over 4000 pounds and 4 doors to save on costs. Although I love that people drive these for what they are capable of.

That's great, weighing them just to determine if they need to be replaced is an awful amount of work. I find it strange the rears cost nearly 3x that of the front, considering their is twice the amount of material. Sure seems like Brembo has a huge markup on those rears, unless that includes the parking brake pads.

Looking forward to see how long your rotors last on track.
The rear pads are separate from the parking brake and I nearly asked the Brembo guy the same question on the tech talk the other day.

I believe the rotors will put up with the abuse for a while but the pads will need changing closer to 8-10s hours of track work based on what I've heard about tracking CCBs with Porsche's. Obviously the rotors are the big expense vs pads.

On Porsche's however there is a more affordable aftermarket option for ceramics, including pads, same with Corvette's. I'd look into solutions other then OEM for replacements to save money if you want to continue tracking the CCBs.

Its certainly feasible to track it but man, if I was going to do that much track time I'd get something that isn't over 4000 pounds and 4 doors to save on costs. Although I love that people drive these for what they are capable of.
I mean that's just it, the 5BW is certainly capable of keeping up with some of the highest performance cars of this era. Makes you wonder what it would be like if it lost 1,000 or even 300lbs.

Coincidentally this morning I looked up the VIR track time lists and I am floored at how capable these cars are. #39 249.4, the 3rd fastest production sedan tested at VIR and a close tie to 2nd ...

hulk-hogan-mic-drop.gif

If it were 500 lbs lighter it would be a C7 Z06 :) The 5BW really is an incredible machine, but it isn't my primary track car. Lightning lap uses the Grand Course which really mutes the power advantage and also favors lighter more nimble cars.

Here's a video of me keeping up with a 991 GT3. Granted, I had more track time at VIR which gave me an edge, but still pretty impressive for a 4100 lb sedan.

If it were 500 lbs lighter it would be a C7 Z06 :) The 5BW really is an incredible machine, but it isn't my primary track car. Lightning lap uses the Grand Course which really mutes the power advantage and also favors lighter more nimble cars.

Here's a video of me keeping up with a 991 GT3. Granted, I had more track time at VIR which gave me an edge, but still pretty impressive for a 4100 lb sedan.

Gotta make the Porsche owner scratch is head on how much money was spent? I can't shake a GM 4 door?

Any differences in the CC rotors & pads other than the compound? Shape and size are the same, I'm guessing. Calipers are identical other than the emblem on the front?

Any differences in the CC rotors & pads other than the compound? Shape and size are the same, I'm guessing. Calipers are identical other than the emblem on the front?
the rotors are a different size

Fellow CCB owner watching this thread.
Have you all burnished the brakes per the owner’s manual instructions?

Fellow CCB owner watching this thread.
Have you all burnished the brakes per the owner’s manual instructions?
Haven’t yet, but was planning to at VIR

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners