Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

2nd gear hard to engage

Scaroline

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT4-V Blackwing
Hi,

I recently bought a new 2023 CT4-V Blackwing with a manual transmission. It currently has 100 miles on it and I got it when it had 32. I noticed that 2nd gear in particular is hard to engage when i'm upshifting or downshifting into it. My previous car was a Ford Bronco and I experienced the same issue there but it went away after driving for around 500 miles. I'm not sure if it's user error from me (I do shift with very little pressure and hope that it will slide into gear easily so I can minimize synchronizer wear), something that goes away after driving more miles, or if it's something that I should get looked at. I do live in boston where the weather is currently cold and it is harder to shift at the very start. When the engine and transmission warm it is easier but I rarely get that "buttery smooth" shift into 2nd.

I did notice that upshifting from 1st to 2nd is smoother when I upshift at around 3000 rpm but haven't gone any higher as it's still in the break-in period. The 3rd to 2nd downshift is always a pain to engage. I would highly appreciate it if anyone has any advice on how I can solve this issue.

Here is a 6 page thread you might want to read:

I've had my '22 CT-4 Blackwing for a couple of months now. ~6000 miles. And I do notice, only on some occasions, a little "notchiness" going into second. It doesn't seem to be temp related as it does it cold and hot. And it doesn't matter upshift or downshift. I'm not too worried about it at this point.

Chris E.

On rare occasions I will experience this in my 5, but it only happens on the initial 1-2 shift when starting out with a cold drivetrain. No biggie....

Double clutching always solves this problem for me, so I generally will double clutch from cold start until the other fluid temps come up.

Double clutching always solves this problem for me, so I generally will double clutch from cold start until the other fluid temps come up.
When you double clutch and go into neutral, do you rev match/ blip the throttle before going into 2nd? Or does it slide in easily and you hold the clutch at the bite point for a second? Or do you do it fast enough so the revs don't drop too low?

When you double clutch and go into neutral, do you rev match/ blip the throttle before going into 2nd? Or does it slide in easily and you hold the clutch at the bite point for a second? Or do you do it fast enough so the revs don't drop too low?
It slides in easily...(insert Michael Scott meme). If I'm downshifting yes I will blip it. However, when still cold, I try not to downshift much - non-aggressive boring driving. ie throw it into neutral and coast to a red light.

I'm really sorry guys

1701804633478.png

I don’t use 2nd until full trans operating temp, I wouldn’t recommend it especially if you already have symptoms. I’d leave rev match on or do it yourself
The tremec has an easier time at low speed cold temps going from 1st to 3rd or in some cases 4th but that could be a stretch depending on the speed and rpm’s. Shift in gears that feel like it smoothly engages but whatever you do don’t continue to force it in 2nd if it doesn’t like it.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back