Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4-V 4BW Down on Power and stumbling, but no CEL or Codes

Cadillac CT4-V model

BWDudeBro

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
'23 CT4VBW
Hey folks,

Have been meaning to do an intro thread for a while (but this isn't how I wanted it to look). Picked up my "used" '23 4BW 6MT with 300mi in June, and 6 days later a nice old lady backed into me which put it in the shop for 3 months, but I digress...

Last night i was ~ 25min into a completely normal drive of stoplight to stoplight driving with heavy-ish traffic. No hard pulls, the car was fully up to temp, and all gauges looked good. I pull into a turn lane to make a turn, and when I take off the car is very stumbly and hesitant. It was hard to tell how much was the real engine noise vs. fake engine noise, but things got very loud and "groany" without having any discernible source (as in, couldn't immediately tell if it was engine, transmission, or even something like a badly dragging caliper).

There were no CELs, which I full expected. If it had thrown one, I would have suspected the wiring issue that's documented elsewhere on the forum. As it was, it felt almost like the car was running on 4 or 5 cylinders. Accelerating would induce the loud, groany, and down-on-power experience.

Over the next 10 min and few miles, it steadily cleared up. Once the noise was gone, it might have felt like it was still slightly down on power? But hard to tell... so about a mile later at the next on-ramp I did a 2nd gear pull with maybe 70% throttle up to maybe 5500rpm. Everything was fine. By the time I got home 20min after it started, the car was completely normal. Good temps, no lights.

I shut it down and still made my appointment. About 3.5 hours later, I got home and fired the car up to read it with the OBD2 scanner. Car was completely normal and happy and there were no codes. I let it run for 1-2min and shut it down. Checked oil, and it was clean and full.

My current theory is bad gas. The car is completely stock with 2100 miles. I did a break in change at 1300mi and Blackstone said the oil was great and normal. It does sit a bit, but nothing crazy. I believe it was driven 5-6 days prior to this.

Before I make an appointment at the dealer, I wanted to poll the brain trust first. Anyone experienced anything like this? Thanks in advance!

Bad gas is likely, in this E10 era.
Supposedly E10 Gas can go bad in 3mo.
My car sits a-lot so I try to run each tank to near empty, to avoid old gas staying in the tank. I also try to avoid letting it sit with a low tank.

I’ve never had a problem though (in a car), but this is a bigger concern with motorcycles. Perhaps because their tanks are less sealed and hold less gas.

Bad gas is likely, in this E10 era.

Thanks for the reply... and the more I think about it the more likely this seems. It's the lack of CELs and/or codes that make me lean that way.

It's a nice day today, so I'll drive the car to work and see how it does. Probably top off the tank, too.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Thanks for the reply... and the more I think about it the more likely this seems. It's the lack of CELs and/or codes that make me lean that way.

It's a nice day today, so I'll drive the car to work and see how it does. Probably top off the tank, too.

When I first took delivery of my 4BW I told the dealer to please only fill it with 93 octane (Florida), they said of course, well 5 miles later I hear the ignition knock and ping and it didn't pull very strong so I know they put in 87 octane or some crappy dealership gas they had onsite. I had to take it easy burn about half a tank and then fill up with 93 octane, which brought the average level up and it performed better. Haven't had an issue since.

I would get some fresh high octane fuel in there and see how it goes.

Yes. It was on a nice used BMW M5 that I bought, had checked out, and as I am driving it from the seller's house, it starts to act like your car did and actually stalled. I did make it home with no further issues, as long as I didn't go deep into the accelerator. No codes for a couple of months until it finally did it again and set a code. Turns out it was the MAF.

In the case of a new car like yours, I'd agree that the first likely culprit is the gas, with #2 being a temporary glitch in a sensor (such as MAF) that got the computer confused. Often a stop and restart will fix the latter. A fresh tank of good gas should fix the former.

I'm a proponent of the "Top Tier Gas" club, which is Shell, Costco, and a few others that I can't think of. The advantage of Costco in addition to the fabulous price, is that they do such huge volume, there is no such thing as stale gas there.

When I first took delivery of my 4BW I told the dealer to please only fill it with 93 octane (Florida), they said of course, well 5 miles later I hear the ignition knock and ping and it didn't pull very strong so I know they put in 87 octane or some crappy dealership gas they had onsite. I had to take it easy burn about half a tank and then fill up with 93 octane, which brought the average level up and it performed better. Haven't had an issue since.

I would get some fresh high octane fuel in there and see how it goes.

Sounds like they shorted ya on the gas. Glad it wasn't a repeat issue for ya. Hope that turns out to be the case here.

Yes. It was on a nice used BMW M5 that I bought, had checked out, and as I am driving it from the seller's house, it starts to act like your car did and actually stalled. I did make it home with no further issues, as long as I didn't go deep into the accelerator. No codes for a couple of months until it finally did it again and set a code. Turns out it was the MAF.

In the case of a new car like yours, I'd agree that the first likely culprit is the gas, with #2 being a temporary glitch in a sensor (such as MAF) that got the computer confused. Often a stop and restart will fix the latter. A fresh tank of good gas should fix the former.

I'm a proponent of the "Top Tier Gas" club, which is Shell, Costco, and a few others that I can't think of. The advantage of Costco in addition to the fabulous price, is that they do such huge volume, there is no such thing as stale gas there.

Good call... hoping any sensor glitches were temporary if that's the case... but glad to hear you agree gas is more likely.

And I like the point about the fuel itself. The BW always gets 93, but I guess it says something that I don't remember where/ when I last topped it off. There's a Chevron (also apparently top tier) near me so i'll add the half-tank it needs and hope it's just gas.

Thanks to both of ya.

Please, let's not start beating this dead horse again. Almost ALL brands are top tier. The most important thing is to buy your gas from a high volume, name brand store. Not Joe down the block who doesn't sell much. Gas is gas.

Last night i was ~ 25min into a completely normal drive of stoplight to stoplight driving with heavy-ish traffic. No hard pulls, the car was fully up to temp, and all gauges looked good. I pull into a turn lane to make a turn, and when I take off the car is very stumbly and hesitant. It was hard to tell how much was the real engine noise vs. fake engine noise, but things got very loud and "groany" without having any discernible source (as in, couldn't immediately tell if it was engine, transmission, or even something like a badly dragging caliper).
Fake engine noise? If your car came with a fake engine, that might be your problem right there.

Fake engine noise? If your car came with a fake engine, that might be your problem right there.
That would explain it, wouldn't it.

Minor update... after one short round trip to the office and a medium round trip to the airport, car seems fine.

I'll keep an eye on it, of course, but no codes whaddya gonna do....

In all seriousness, there’s no augmented engine noise on the 4BW, at least that I have found.

In all seriousness, there’s no augmented engine noise on the 4BW, at least that I have found.
If anything I'm thinking the opposite...way too quiet (making the wife very happy)...

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back