Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

selecting reverse with automatic transmission ?

PBKB

Hi! I just purchased a 2023 CT5-V Blackwing automatic. The selector will not stay in the reverse position - it pops back into neutral every time I try it. I can go backwards if I physically hold the selector in the reverse position but as soon as I let go, it is back in neutral. I tried holding the side button in until it is in the reverse position and tried releasing the side button just before the selector reaches reverse without success. There has got to be a trick that I don't know about to get into reverse! This is my first experience with an electronic gear selector mechanism. Thanks!

The lever always goes back to the center position. That is the way it is made. The light on the lever will tell you what gear you are in.

The lever always goes back to the center position. That is the way it is made. The light on the lever will tell you what gear you are in.
So the car will not travel in reverse unless you physically hold the lever in the reverse setting? That sucks.

So the car will not travel in reverse unless you physically hold the lever in the reverse setting? That sucks.
No, it will stay in reverse until you move the lever or push the Park button, just like it stays in Drive.

My understanding of the issue is the OP fully understands how to operate the selector, but his car only moves in reverse when he holds the lever in "R"?

His follow up "thanks" response is confusing though, so I don't know.

My understanding of the issue is the OP fully understands how to operate the selector, but his car only moves in reverse when he holds the lever in "R".
I originally thought the same but considered OP didn't actually trying reversing when the shifter returned to it's center position.

All very confusing 😉 but the owner's manual can make it clear. The lever is more of a momentary switch based on which way you move it.

No, it will stay in reverse until you move the lever or push the Park button, just like it stays in Drive.
That is exactly what I would expect. The other reply was confusing (to me only perhaps). No worries though, I am a 6MT guy and know how to get that car in reverse (y)

Here's a how-to video on using the electronic shifter.

So the lever goes forward for reverse and backward for drive. That makes complete sense. I had an XT5 loaner and I just kept moving the thing until something happened.

That is exactly what I would expect. The other reply was confusing (to me only perhaps). No worries though, I am a 6MT guy and know how to get that car in reverse (y)
Yeah, I need to clarify that the it in my response referred to the car, not the shifter. The shifter when released will always return to it's center position.

Yeah, I need to clarify that the it in my response referred to the car, not the shifter. The shifter when released will always return to it's center position.
Totally get it. A lot of auto cars are that way these days. Your posts did not confuse at all, I was referring to the OP and the reply by shbox.

I like your login, BTW (y)

OP having trouble driving an automatic. Wow!
In all fairness these days autos are more difficult to figure out than a manual. I travel for work and rent a lot of cars, you'd be surprised at some of the craziness I run across.

I like your login, BTW (y)
Thanks, I followed the pattern from my Z06.

1667228960695.png

In all fairness these days autos are more difficult to figure out than a manual. I travel for work and rent a lot of cars, you'd be surprised at some of the craziness I run across.
Yep. Most of us have decades of muscle memory using mechanical shifters, whereby home position was P and you could tell which gear you had selected based on physical positioning of the shifter.

Yep. Most of us have decades of muscle memory using mechanical shifters, whereby home position was P and you could tell which gear you had selected based on physical positioning of the shifter.
Muscle memory is one thing. Not being able to figure it out to the point that you have to post about it on the internet is a completely different level.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back