Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Is it totaled?

almazing

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
23 4BW
So the unthinkable happened last Thursday during TNiA. Coming out of turn 3 in Heartland Park, I hugged the inside curb a little too closely. The rear end kicked out, I thought I could recover, as it wasn't a snap oversteer situation. Since I was so close to the inside of the turn, the rear end pushed the front wheels in to the grass and at that point, there was no countersteering to save it. I stepped hard on the brakes to slow the car down. I could have hit the concrete barrier at 60 or 70, but it slowed down enough to hit at 40. Car was set to Race 1/Track Mode. Front tire pressures were at 37 psi and rears were 35 psi. It was poor line choice on my part, as well as pushing hard when I should have backed off because I felt that the tires were getting greasy. I reviewed the PDR and I can somewhat confirm my theory on how and why it happened.

There was a black CT5V Blackwing just behind me who may be a member in this forum and could perhaps shed some light on what he saw.

I was having a great time driving the car on track, and then in the blink of an eye, wreck. The car is insured through Hagerty/RLI. Their deductibles are very high, but I insured enough to financially cover the vehicle in the event of a total loss. Always get track insurance. No exceptions. If you can't afford track insurance, you can't afford to track your car. If you can't afford the 10 or 15% deductible for track insurance, you can't afford to track your car. Simple as that. But if it were going to be repaired, I would be on the hook for 15% of the insured value, which is no small amount. I have the money, but it'll hurt the wallet. I am physically fine, though there is a Cadillac shaped welt on my left had from when the steering wheel airbag deployed. Slapped me right on the hand for my terrible driving. The safety systems worked, and I walked away. Didn't even feel sore the following day.

The car is now being assessed in Eveland Brothers Collision Center in Merriam, KS. Probably the best and most expensive collision center in this region. They work on Porsches, MBs, exotics, and other high dollar cars. They also happen to be a certified GM collision repair center, so they know what they're doing. I've used their services many years ago, and I couldn't even tell that said car was ever in an accident. I told my collision center agent to spare no expense with this estimate, since I'm on the hook for so much if it is repairable. If there's so much as a scratch, replace it.

Damage is pretty severe, as you can see. Front end is toast. No leaking liquids due to how far back the radiators are mounted which is good. The radiator/AC condenser got pushed back slightly. I never bothered to restart the engine. Underneath, I can see a broken LCA on the passenger side. Passenger side rear quarter panel is in rough shape. Will likely need a cut and weld and blending of paint. Rear bumper is toast, as is the passenger side tail light. Exhaust tip is scratched. Passenger side wheels are gashed deep, and the front tire is toast. Rear is questionable. All airbags deployed, no glass, roof, or pillar damage from the naked eye. The body panels seem to all line up just fine. Obviously, I don't have the expensive tools to measure frame straightness, nor have I been able to see underneath.

My guess is that it'll cost anywhere between $35-$45K to repair. Due to Missouri's 80% total loss law, there is a good chance it could be repairable, since it's insured for agreed value rather than market or cash value. Barring some sort of unrepairable frame or unibody damage, I can see the body shop and Hagerty/RLI pushing to repair it, because this is good money for the body shop, and insurance is gonna want to pay the least amount. I insured it for how much I owe on it, plus 15%, which would cover the deductible in the event of a total loss. Repair bill needs to reach well above $55k to have any hope of it being totaled.

Stand by for pictures.
IMG_4884.jpeg
IMG_4883.jpeg
IMG_4880.jpeg
IMG_4882.jpeg
IMG_4881.jpeg
IMG_4885.jpeg
IMG_4888.jpeg
IMG_4887.jpeg
IMG_4879.jpeg
IMG_4886.jpeg

Last edited:
Think Carguyshu caught video of it - here

Sorry to hear man, that's incredibly unfortunate and I'm sure most people's worst fear going into an HPDE. Glad to hear you are okay and weren't seriously hurt, and that you had track day insurance to cover the damage.

Can't speak to the total loss aspect or not, but with how backordered some parts are and the length of time you could be in a rental / waiting on repairs, it is probably in your best interest for it to be totaled out so you can just go buy a new one.

Think Carguyshu caught video of it - here

Yup that's me. So yea, I was too close to the inside on corner exit, there was probably dirt and debris where my line was, since that was a stupid line to take, and the rest is history. Though looking at the video now, had I slid further, I would have just slid in to the grass with minimal damage to the car. But with my luck and skill(or lack thereof), I went and hit the concrete barrier.

Sorry to hear man, that's incredibly unfortunate and I'm sure most people's worst fear going into an HPDE. Glad to hear you are okay and weren't seriously hurt, and that you had track day insurance to cover the damage.

Can't speak to the total loss aspect or not, but with how backordered some parts are and the length of time you could be in a rental / waiting on repairs, it is probably in your best interest for it to be totaled out so you can just go buy a new one.

It can happen to the best of us. My pride and self confidence is a lot more damaged than me physically. Body shop said that they couldn't even start work on it until September, if they CAN fix it. So that means an October delivery, assuming that there are no national parts backorder. Don't want to take it to another body shop either, because I trust that these guys can put it back to the way it was before the crash. I've got my other car, so I'm not worried about a long term rental.

I'm eyeing another 4BW build similar to mine, in a different color. This is just one out of 200 available manuals though. So if my current BW is totaled, I would go after the one I'm eyeing. If it's sold by then, there are no other similarly equipped 4BWs for MY23. I want to keep the price under $70k with no sunroof, and nearly every 4BW has a sunroof and the base seats in my price range. I want upgraded seats at minimum. Worst case if I can't find a comparable 4BW with the right options and price, I'll likely go the used Porsche 981 Boxster/Cayman route. Leaning toward Boxster, since it's about 15-20% less expensive than a similarly equipped Cayman.

Extremely sorry to hear this but fortunate that you are ok. No disrespect I just want to see the emboss print from the airbag deploying. I've heard of people branding themselves similar to a tattoo. You could be the next youtube sensation trend setter.

Extremely sorry to hear this but fortunate that you are ok. No disrespect I just want to see the emboss print from the airbag deploying. I've heard of people branding themselves similar to a tattoo. You could be the next youtube sensation trend setter.

None taken. I thought it was airbag burn until I went to get the car towed the next day and checked out the interior. The emblem will hurt your left hand when the airbag deploys hahaha. I was wearing gloves too. I can imagine how worse it would be without gloves.

IMG_4893.jpeg
IMG_4892.jpeg

As the older timers of hpde keep telling me, it's not "if" your going to crash but "when"...

Just saying, would be a pretty cool tattoo with a decent story to go with it. I don't know how many tattoo's I have and most don't really have "stories" to them like others do. Not sure if you have a Caddy tattoo'ed to you yet but you look like a fan of them.

Just saying, would be a pretty cool tattoo with a decent story to go with it. I don't know how many tattoo's I have and most don't really have "stories" to them like others do. Not sure if you have a Caddy tattoo'ed to you yet but you look like a fan of them.

20 something me would have been fine with a hand tattoo but mid-30s me grew out of that phase hahaha.

So the unthinkable happened last Thursday during TNiA. Coming out of turn 3 in Heartland Park, I hugged the inside curb a little too closely. The rear end kicked out, I thought I could recover, as it wasn't a snap oversteer situation. Since I was so close to the inside of the turn, the rear end pushed the front wheels in to the grass and at that point, there was no countersteering to save it. I stepped hard on the brakes to slow the car down. I could have hit the concrete barrier at 60 or 70, but it slowed down enough to hit at 40. Car was set to Race 1/Track Mode. Front tire pressures were at 37 psi and rears were 35 psi. It was poor line choice on my part, as well as pushing hard when I should have backed off because I felt that the tires were getting greasy. I reviewed the PDR and I can somewhat confirm my theory on how and why it happened.

There was a black CT5V Blackwing just behind me who may be a member in this forum and could perhaps shed some light on what he saw.

I was having a great time driving the car on track, and then in the blink of an eye, wreck. The car is insured through Hagerty/RLI. Their deductibles are very high, but I insured enough to financially cover the vehicle in the event of a total loss. Always get track insurance. No exceptions. If you can't afford track insurance, you can't afford to track your car. If you can't afford the 10 or 15% deductible for track insurance, you can't afford to track your car. Simple as that. But if it were going to be repaired, I would be on the hook for 15% of the insured value, which is no small amount. I have the money, but it'll hurt the wallet. I am physically fine, though there is a Cadillac shaped welt on my left had from when the steering wheel airbag deployed. Slapped me right on the hand for my terrible driving. The safety systems worked, and I walked away. Didn't even feel sore the following day.

The car is now being assessed in Eveland Brothers Collision Center in Merriam, KS. Probably the best and most expensive collision center in this region. They work on Porsches, MBs, exotics, and other high dollar cars. They also happen to be a certified GM collision repair center, so they know what they're doing. I've used their services many years ago, and I couldn't even tell that said car was ever in an accident. I told my collision center agent to spare no expense with this estimate, since I'm on the hook for so much if it is repairable. If there's so much as a scratch, replace it.

Damage is pretty severe, as you can see. Front end is toast. No leaking liquids due to how far back the radiators are mounted which is good. The radiator/AC condenser got pushed back slightly. I never bothered to restart the engine. Underneath, I can see a broken LCA on the passenger side. Passenger side rear quarter panel is in rough shape. Will likely need a cut and weld and blending of paint. Rear bumper is toast, as is the passenger side tail light. Exhaust tip is scratched. Passenger side wheels are gashed deep, and the front tire is toast. Rear is questionable. All airbags deployed, no glass, roof, or pillar damage from the naked eye. The body panels seem to all line up just fine. Obviously, I don't have the expensive tools to measure frame straightness, nor have I been able to see underneath.

My guess is that it'll cost anywhere between $35-$45K to repair. Due to Missouri's 80% total loss law, there is a good chance it could be repairable, since it's insured for agreed value rather than market or cash value. Barring some sort of unrepairable frame or unibody damage, I can see the body shop and Hagerty/RLI pushing to repair it, because this is good money for the body shop, and insurance is gonna want to pay the least amount. I insured it for how much I owe on it, plus 15%, which would cover the deductible in the event of a total loss. Repair bill needs to reach well above $55k to have any hope of it being totaled.

Stand by for pictures.View attachment 20211View attachment 20212View attachment 20214View attachment 20215View attachment 20216View attachment 20217View attachment 20218View attachment 20219View attachment 20220View attachment 20221
For your sake, I hope they total it. The wait for replacement parts can be very long right now.

For your sake, I hope they total it. The wait for replacement parts can be very long right now.

Same. The policy does state that the car should be repaired within a reasonable amount of time. I’m willing to wait until October, as the body shop stated, just due to their busy schedule. But any longer and I’ll push for a total loss. They have 30 days to come to that conclusion anyway.
IMG_4894.png

Same. The policy does state that the car should be repaired within a reasonable amount of time. I’m willing to wait until October, as the body shop stated, just due to their busy schedule. But any longer and I’ll push for a total loss. They have 30 days to come to that conclusion anyway. View attachment 20224
I'm sorry to see this but glad to hear you're okay. Best of luck with the repairs and please do let us know of any issues with Hagerty/RLI. I used them for TNIA too so hoping it's a smooth process and we don't all have to go looking for other insurers.

I'm sorry to see this but glad to hear you're okay. Best of luck with the repairs and please do let us know of any issues with Hagerty/RLI. I used them for TNIA too so hoping it's a smooth process and we don't all have to go looking for other insurers.

They’ve been good so far. And I’ve only heard good things about them paying out promptly and for the agreed value without much fuss. The claims agent has been great with answering my questions and the two people I know that have had to make claims have been happy with how quickly and smoothly things went.

None taken. I thought it was airbag burn until I went to get the car towed the next day and checked out the interior. The emblem will hurt your left hand when the airbag deploys hahaha. I was wearing gloves too. I can imagine how worse it would be without gloves.

View attachment 20222View attachment 20223
Glad you made it out with little injury. As a side effect, Mondrian tattoos could become a new thing. ;)

Sorry to hear about the incident. I had no idea airbags could do that kind of damage *through the gloves* !!! Glad you're OK otherwise.

I still can't understand why the track would put that ridiculous wall between you and all that nice, soft pasture where you'd only have to worry about getting dirty......

I always keep mine in sport as sport will let the car slide some, but it still has stability control. Race 1/2 don’t. I’d suspect very few can run a faster time in one of the race modes vs sport. At spring mountain even the instructors run in sport mode during demo laps without the cars doing any intervention

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back