Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Is it a toy?

I live and work in the city. So I’m teleworking or taking the subway to work. Hence it’s mostly a weekend fun car. Or take some vacation trips with it. A typical weekend fun ride is maybe 120 miles or so. Saturday is for the V and Sunday is for the Ducati.

Hahahahahahahaha, I'm saving mine for the next guy to drive!
Canadian Lol GIF
Don't worry Steve, I'll send you all the high def PDR footage you want.

I'm in the exact same position, but winter included. Bought mine as a year-round daily. I park it in the driveway because the summer cars get the garage spots. Winter tires and wheels are on the way to drive through the snow and slush. I'm not going to abuse or mistreat the car, but I do intend to actually drive and use it almost every day.

I know everything is a matter of perspective, but I really struggle to understand why some here picked a Blackwing for a "toy" (unless it's your only car). They're still big, heavy cars with a lot of unnecessary features for spirited/track driving. They're sharp for sports sedans, but soft compared to a "proper" sportscar. One of my other cars is an Alfa 4C, and my 4BW feels like a boat in comparison (but a fast boat).
I have the same mindset and struggle to understand spending 6 figures on a sedan to not drive it, so many options in that range if I don't need the tech or the space. I bought mine as the ultimate daily because we had our first child and I found myself driving my charger or Jeep every day giving my Camaro no love lol. I will disclaimer I daily the car as well as track it but have seen stints of being 100% remote for work (moving back to fully remote again soon) and I live in the suburbs so snowfall isn't really a concern - it's either plowed or I'm not driving until it is. Currently at 18 months of ownership and 16k miles. I have a very hard time walking past the keys and not grabbing the set to the BW.

I think I'd have higher blood pressure than I already do if mine was a DD. Thats the beauty of my Jeep. I couldn't give two shits what happens to it. Currently have a kid learning on a drivers permit. She's whacked a couple curbs already in the Jeep and I didn't even blink. I did explain what the damage and likely costs associated would be had she been driving the BW. I cringe every time I park the BW anywhere other than a car show.

I think I'd have higher blood pressure than I already do if mine was a DD. Thats the beauty of my Jeep. I couldn't give two shits what happens to it. Currently have a kid learning on a drivers permit. She's whacked a couple curbs already in the Jeep and I didn't even blink. I did explain what the damage and likely costs associated would be had she been driving the BW. I cringe every time I park the BW anywhere other than a car show.
My baby boy learning to drive in my jeep... Before I sold my jeep he was driving level 4 trails before he had a drivers license...
IMG_2395_zps0981ae94.jpg

jakebluemule1_zpsc810c546.jpg

My daily commute is the thickness of the wall separating my bedroom from my office yet I have over 29,000 miles on the odometer for a garage-kept car.

Mine is a toy I suppose. I work 100% from home (have been for the last 10 years) so I don't drive a lot regularly. And when I do go somewhere, my wife and 3 kids are usually coming so we take one of the other cars (2023 Honda Pilot or my beater 2008 Yukon Denali).

I also realized that driving it more made me realize things that I like and don't like about the car, that I never would have realized if I didn't drive it more.

I mostly work from home, but mine is a daily and I am at a 9k/yr pace due to 1x/wk 80mi round-trip, school drop-offs, and weekends/errands. It's outstanding for me in that application. I do take it out for "fun" drives whenever I can, which is not often enough.

My toy is a Lotus Elise, the perfect foil to the 5BW.

This response is precisely the reason I asked the question. I definitely feel similarly and was intrigued by the idea of why someone would choose this car as a toy. I know there could be many different reasons for the choice including the need for four doors. Again not trying to judge. Just starting a conversation and interested in what others are thinking.
The reason I selected the BW as a toy is because being a Porsche owner the only other 911 I wanted was the 911 GT3 touring. After never being able to get an allocation for 5 years and the used prices the last few years were out of my range and a new one having an ADM equal to the MSRP when I was looking, I wanted a fast sedan with comfort and exclusivity such as the GT3 Touring. I got an allocation for the BW and am not looking back. Both of these cars will be handed down in the end and what happens after that is upto my kids.

I mostly work from home, but mine is a daily and I am at a 9k/yr pace due to 1x/wk 80mi round-trip, school drop-offs, and weekends/errands. It's outstanding for me in that application. I do take it out for "fun" drives whenever I can, which is not often enough.

My toy is a Lotus Elise, the perfect foil to the 5BW.
I totally get that! I had one that I bought new in 2006. I loved that car!!
10524733_672166732853767_5967832063710349784_n.jpg

Mine will be a year round, MI, rain or snow, daily when I'm not driving company cars. I already have 1 garage queen (a dyno tuned 2008 Pontiac Solstice with 90k on it and pushing almost 375hp out of a 2.0L), I don't need 2. Don't get me wrong, I will be driving a company car if it's snowing!!!
both cars.jpg

Toy? Hmm, not really but I do play with it.

I live 3hrs from where I connect to go to work. Its a 190mi drive and the first 86mi you need to be able to pass to keep your sanity unless you too want to enjoy the feeling of cruising 10 under with a 5th wheel.

Anyway, I commute in my BW (formerly used an SS for this task), park it in my Moms garage, and go to work for 2 weeks. I come back from work, pick up my car, and drive 3hrs home.

When Im home, my townie vehicle is a 2009 4runner which I also use for multi day backcountry overlanding trips to neighboring states. I guess that could be a toy too but I use it to do the afore mentioned drive in the winter if its shitty out.

Last edited:
With all due respect, a 4BW auto is in a different category than a 5BW manual, so that is a big distinction that needs to be put out there. I could plow 30k miles a year on mine as a work car and wear it out it no time, but then what? Right, there will be a shit market of BEV and mild hybrid nonsense. Sorry, running errands, commuting in traffic, and cruising interstates is not the best use case for this car.

I Daily mine, and it's my only car! Also in my driveway, for now, simply because I have no garage space, lmao.

Only plans for another car I have are to eventually buy a new RF Miata as a toy/gas saver.

I had a red MX5 for awhile, and I miss the convertible aspect, plus how small & agile it is. Something special about a relatively barebones RWD 2-seater.

About the only way I can see myself selling the Blackwing is if I get into something wild like a Lotus Emira, Evora GT, or a CT5-V Blackwing, lmao.

I love this car, and I love driving it every single day 💗

Daily driver except winter. 15k miles so far.

I used to have a fun car and somewhat fun daily car C5 Z06 and G37. Then I had a few friends and collegues get cancer/die at a young age. Then I realized that the most precious thing we have is time. Every drive is a moment you won't get back. I want this car to get worn out and die before I do, not the other way around. When I'm on my deathbed I want a million memories of me driving my family around in a 668HP manual sports sedan, not a pristine car in the garage.

Last edited:
With all due respect, a 4BW auto is in a different category than a 5BW manual, so that is a big distinction that needs to be put out there. I could plow 30k miles a year on mine as a work car and wear it out it no time, but then what? Right, there will be a shit market of BEV and mild hybrid nonsense. Sorry, running errands, commuting in traffic, and cruising interstates is not the best use case for this car.
I would say 30k a year is an extreme use case and the "best use" is entirely subjective.

I'd rather have the car make me laugh every day than only take it out when there's a 0% chance of rain and the moon is in the right phase.

These are special cars but they're not *that* rare. When mine dies, I'll simply buy another, probably a 5BW and almost certainly a former garage queen. It might take a month or two to find the right one, but that's fine. It's only money.

Even with all the production problems and markups, there are 24 used manual 5BWs under 100k right now and I'm simply not that picky.

Daily driver except winter. 15k miles so far.

I used to have a fun car and somewhat fun daily car C5 Z06 and G37. Then I had a few friends and collegues get cancer/die at a young age. Then I realized that the most precious thing we have is time. Every drive is a moment you won't back. I want this car to get worn out and die before I do, not the other way around. When I'm on my deathbed I want a million memories of me driving my family around in a 668HP manual sports sedan, not a pristine car in the garage.
I can totally relate to this as well. I lost my little sister to ovarian cancer at age 29 just under thirty years ago. After she passed I decided to indulge in what makes me happy which is cars and motorcycles. I'm quite sure she would approve!

I would say 30k a year is an extreme use case and the "best use" is entirely subjective.

I'd rather have the car make me laugh every day than only take it out when there's a 0% chance of rain and the moon is in the right phase.

These are special cars but they're not *that* rare. When mine dies, I'll simply buy another, probably a 5BW and almost certainly a former garage queen. It might take a month or two to find the right one, but that's fine. It's only money.

Even with all the production problems and markups, there are 24 used manual 5BWs under 100k right now and I'm simply not that picky.
It IS subjective...and that is what makes neither of us right in how we choose to indulge in our respective BW's. We're lucky to even have these cars and the freedom to choose how we indulge, and for some of us occasional use is what provides maximum happiness. To each their own.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back