Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

I had my new 5BW shipped to me. What did I miss at the dealer?

thefleshrocket

I bought my 5BW from Sewell. I'm in southern Illinois and didn't want to break in the car with a thousand-mile interstate drive, so I had it shipped to me. What did I miss by not picking up my car at the dealer?

For example, my 5BW came with brake cooling fins in the trunk. From what I understand, I should only have them installed for track use, but looking through the directions, the install process isn't a 10-minute, drive-it-up-on-ramps-and-bolt-them-on install. I am strongly contemplating taking the 5BW to the roadcourse a time or two--am I really in danger of causing damage if I live the fins installed?

Rumor has it there is a free service or two included?

I'm planning to do an oil change at 500 miles, and again at 1500. I've ordered some Supercar 0W40 and an AC Delco UPF64R filter. Are there any other checks or changes I should be doing or have the dealer do?

You run the risk of getting small stones and road debris deflected into your brakes if you leave them on. The deflectors are referred to as the "tomahawks". Mine are in the trunk and will probably never be used. The first service was free and I did my oil change at 1475 miles. My car sits for weeks at a time and needs a battery tender. The battery drops voltage without one due to all the "vampire" electric working in the background.

Per the manual, those duct fins are for track use only and I would think that a couple laps on a road course would be well within the capabilities of the brakes without them. I guess if you want dust and rocks and whatever else is on the road directed directly at your brakes you could leave them installed all the time but thats your call.

There are two things at the dealer that jump out as unique to the buying process...maybe not unique but I havent bought a brand new vehicle so it was unique to me. Since its free for 6 months at least, you might consider downloading the myCadillac app and setting it up. The dealer did a shortcut setup but I think you can run through it all yourself with the VIN and it will just take longer with more steps.

The second thing after you do or dont setup the app is to setup OnStar. Im not a fan of it but its free for 6 mos and all you do is hit the button and a person will answer and try to sell you a bunch more stuff. If you plan on letting the 6mos free offer expire, dont give them a credit card so they cant auto bill. Or do, up to you.

The last thing the dealer did was run through the vehicle setting on the infotainment and setup things like auto-lock, seat memory, and some other stuff that would have taken me a few minutes to figure out a) that it even was tailorable setting and b) how to do it. So make sure to dive in to the vehicle settings on the infotainment because some things are great and some are annoying.

I got a "free" NY cheesecake from my dealer at delivery. It's that dealers "thing" that they do. I told my salesman that the cake wasn't "free".......I paid over $100k for it ! LOL !

Attachments

• 20220609_211803.jpg
    20220609_211803.jpg
    894.6 KB · Views: 55
I bought my 5BW from Sewell. I'm in southern Illinois and didn't want to break in the car with a thousand-mile interstate drive, so I had it shipped to me. What did I miss by not picking up my car at the dealer?

For example, my 5BW came with brake cooling fins in the trunk. From what I understand, I should only have them installed for track use, but looking through the directions, the install process isn't a 10-minute, drive-it-up-on-ramps-and-bolt-them-on install. I am strongly contemplating taking the 5BW to the roadcourse a time or two--am I really in danger of causing damage if I live the fins installed?

I'm planning to do an oil change at 500 miles, and again at 1500. I've ordered some Supercar 0W40 and an AC Delco UPF64R filter. Are there any other checks or changes I should be doing or have the dealer do?
Congrats on the new BW! Doublecheck on the PF64R filter. The manual calls for the PF64 (as did the Z06) and I remember there being a huge discussion on the corvette forum about the differences in the 2 filters. A main difference was the bypass pressure being considerably different between the 2. I'll try to dig up the thread, but it was enough info to keep me from using the R filter on my Z06.

I bought a 4 and a 5 from Dustin @ Sewell. Both deals were mostly completed with text messages and a few emails. Easiest thing ever. Dustin made sure everything that should be with the car was included, along with some extras (y)

The 1st service visit is included... you should see that on your window sticker.

Remove front shipping blocks from shocks if they didn’t remove it. You have to Jack up the car to remove them.

Congrats on the new BW! Doublecheck on the PF64R filter. The manual calls for the PF64 (as did the Z06) and I remember there being a huge discussion on the corvette forum about the differences in the 2 filters. A main difference was the bypass pressure being considerably different between the 2. I'll try to dig up the thread, but it was enough info to keep me from using the R filter on my Z06.
I’d love to see the thread. I wasn’t sure which filter to get so I tried Googling and UPD64R was what I came up with. But if the manual says PF64, that’s what I’ll order.

I bought a 4 and a 5 from Dustin @ Sewell. Both deals were mostly completed with text messages and a few emails. Easiest thing ever. Dustin made sure everything that should be with the car was included, along with some extras (y)

The 1st service visit is included... you should see that on your window sticker.

For the first service, if it’s free, can I have it done at 500 miles or do I need to wait until the car / manual call for it?

You run the risk of getting small stones and road debris deflected into your brakes if you leave them on. The deflectors are referred to as the "tomahawks". Mine are in the trunk and will probably never be used. The first service was free and I did my oil change at 1475 miles. My car sits for weeks at a time and needs a battery tender. The battery drops voltage without one due to all the "vampire" electric working in the background.
I hooked up a tender to the leads in the engine compartment while out of town for a week. I’ll probably wire up some heads to the battery in the trunk for a more permanent solution. I have no doubt that a couple of weeks unattended would kill the battery.

I’d love to see the thread. I wasn’t sure which filter to get so I tried Googling and UPD64R was what I came up with. But if the manual says PF64, that’s what I’ll order.

I think this was one of the longer (and good) discussions about the filter. Just like any thread you have to read through the good, the bad and the ugly!

I saw you mention the battery tender. I think keeping it on one if sitting over a week or so is a good idea. We have several cars that sit a lot and I really like the CTEK smart chargers - they come as an option on the Corvettes now and are really good ones.

Hmm. I didn't have any brake ducts in my trunk when I bought my car. They're probably installed on the car. ;shrug

^^^They might be in the trap door portion of the trunk. That is where I found mine.

Yes, ‘97. Journalism. Came down from LaGrange (southwest Chicago suburb) and never left. You?
I went to Bradley University for my first two years of college. I vaguely remember going down to SIU for Halloween back in '89. Crazy times....

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back