Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Oil Change at dealer, now smell burnt oil in cabin of 5BW. ** UPDATE **

Wato

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT5-V BW, Summit White
So, I tool my 5BW in for it's first oil change at the dealer and when I arrive home and pull in garage, and smell burnt oil from the ventilation system.

I return back to the dealer, and sure enough a small oil leak is discovered at the oil pan gasket. After a short wait for parts to arrive, I return and they take a few days to replace the gasket.

I get home, and still notice a burnt oil smell from the vents when I stop, also oil smell from the front of the car, more noticeably on the right side.

Take it back to the dealer again. Tech lifts the car, inspects, and cannot find any visible oil leak, but does notice the burnt smell on the right hand side while the engine is running.

They notify GM and GM recommends (after two weeks) that the tech completely clean the engine and see if that corrects the problem (that happens next Tuesday).

I've been under the car with the tech, and there is no visible leak of any type. Completely immaculate under there.

I can't believe it's residual oil burning off as I've been driving it daily and smell it every time I get out of the car.

Thoughts?? I'm at a loss.

Thanks.

The dealers do a sloppy job and use the lowest grade oil they can. At least they use an OEM oil filter, or do they?

Sucks, and weird situation.

Reason why I avoid the dealer. Free first oil change.. No thanks. I’m paying for that myself and doing it.

The odors could have got into your air cabin filter. I suggest changing that too.

Thanks, will try the cabin filter. Unfortunately I do smell it out side too, near the engine bay.

After the engine clean endeavor next Tuesday, I fear that won't solve it, so GM will send someone out to take a look.

Man why would you change the cabin filter? That's ridiculous and dumb!

Rule #1 Don't go to the dealer
Rule #2 Follow Rule #1 Forever
Rule #3 Sell it quickly it's totaled

Man why would you change the cabin filter? That's ridiculous and dumb!

Rule #1 Don't go to the dealer
Rule #2 Follow Rule #1 Forever
Rule #3 Sell it quickly it's totaled
Because it could have sucked in some of the vapors if he was using his climate control system, and some of the vapor could have been trapped in the cabin filter. Do you understand how that works? If his was set to use fresh air outside the cabin, then it’s possible some vapors got sucked into the climate air intake. He can lower the glove box, pop it out and give it a whiff.

Thanks, will try the cabin filter. Unfortunately I do smell it out side too, near the engine bay.

After the engine clean endeavor next Tuesday, I fear that won't solve it, so GM will send someone out to take a look.
I’m speechless, GM sending someone out to investigate how an oil change went awry. This is a new low for any dealer only matched by the oil change that blows up the engine.

I’m speechless, GM sending someone out to investigate how an oil change went awry. This is a new low for any dealer only matched by the oil change that blows up the engine.
Pretty much in total aggrement.

Any drips or drops in the driveway prior to the oil change? I'm paranoid, so i'm always looking especially since I do my own changes

Nope. no visible leak now either.
If it's still there after driving through a full tank of gas it's not residual and you've got a bigger issue. You might want to take it to another dealer(or Indy shop you trust) to get a second opinion. I wouldn't go back there but I don't know if you have options.

Sooner or later if you want warranty work done the dealer is your only option.

Because it could have sucked in some of the vapors if he was using his climate control system, and some of the vapor could have been trapped in the cabin filter. Do you understand how that works? If his was set to use fresh air outside the cabin, then it’s possible some vapors got sucked into the climate air intake. He can lower the glove box, pop it out and give it a whiff.
I agree. Change the filter as a variable. If the smell remains, then put the old filter back in after a week. The new filter should be a carbon, baking soda one.

Could they have spilled oil when filling it & it's sitting on TOP of the engine heating up when its running?

Could they have spilled oil when filling it & it's sitting on TOP of the engine heating up when its running?
This is my guess. I would remove the plastic cover on the fill side of the engine and suspect that is where you will find some oil hiding.

I don't know what your skills and capabilities are, but I would punch out at this point and try to solve yourself.

Check all the underbody panels near the engine, Years ago I had a dealer only hand tighten the oil drain plug and it eventually backed out on the freeway. Oil went everywhere, including between some of the layers of the underbody panels. The particular panel had a metal heat shield riveted to the plastic part and the air gap between was full of oil. Every drive that trapped oil would burn off a little and you could smell it inside and out.

Check all the underbody panels near the engine, Years ago I had a dealer only hand tighten the oil drain plug and it eventually backed out on the freeway. Oil went everywhere, including between some of the layers of the underbody panels. The particular panel had a metal heat shield riveted to the plastic part and the air gap between was full of oil. Every drive that trapped oil would burn off a little and you could smell it inside and out.
Dealers are incredibly sloppy and they usually put the least trained person on oil changes. I even had one dealer overfill my car by 2 quarts. That it is why it is imperative to check your oil before you leave the dealership. Most dealers don't even check the dipstick or check the electronic oil monitoring system.

I had the same issue. Did my first oil change and forgot to grab the bottle for the Blackstone sample - Fuck. I had a few seconds to decide what to do. Didn't think I could retrieve the bottle in time. Decided to put the plug back in while the oil was gushing out - hadn't spilled a drop up to that point, but putting the plug back into that full gush got oil on the exhaust. Afterwards I cleaned everything with degreaser (thought I did a thorough job), but had the burnt oil smell with the HVAC on. Figured it would burn off, and eventually it went away, but took far longer than I expected. Still smelled 1000 miles later, but was gone by 1500. Thought I might have to replace the cabin filter, but the smell went away before I got around to it.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back