Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V New CT5-V Blackwing needs new transmission prior to delivery. What to do?

CT5-V Model
@Motorin Mark You still good with bailing on your BW order?

Yes absolutely. It was such a mind game with me with all the delays on mine. Then I see stuff like this and it confirms another one of my worries with GM.....Servicing this super cool high-performance car properly. I really, really wanted a super fast, bad ass, sedan with a V-8 and a manual, especially after having a 2020 BMW M5, but it was not to be and yes still good with my bail, Everything happens for a reason. As Picky/OCD as I am I just could not deal with OP's brand new $100K+ car having this type of sad repairs before it was even delivered. I'll say it again, Wow, just wow, who in the world worked on this car????? I still follow the forum and see lots of you guys have got your cars and are enjoying them, congrats. Hopefully OP's situation gets resolved........

I feel bad as I recommended to have it replaced. Obviously, I forgot how awful a dealership can fuck up a simple oil change....this is just ridiculous what they did!

Update on this:

I sent an email to my salesman on Thursday and he said he forwarded it to the service manager. I brought the car in on Saturday along with pictures and the written request below. I gave one copy to the service adviser and one to my salesman. I asked to speak to the service manager, but he was not in. My salesman said he would give the photos and my hardcopy request to him on Monday and that the service manager would call me Monday. I received no call on Monday. First thing Tuesday morning I emailed the request below to my salesman, told him I had not heard from the service manager, and asked to have the service manager call me. It is now Tuesday night, 5 days after I first notified the dealer. I have not been contacted. The print out I have from the service adviser lists only the items on the "due bill" - namely fender misalignment, damaged seat, and paint chip. I do not know how, or if, they plan to address the other issues and assure me that no other structural fasteners will fall out while I am driving this 200mph vehicle.

I plan to visit the dealership tomorrow and ask to speak to the general manager.

Below is the written request I submitted:

Transmission was replaced by Simpson Buena Park Cadillac prior to customer taking delivery of vehicle. Prior to taking delivery of vehicle, customer noted damage to right front seat and misaligned left fender – this was noted in “Due Bill.”

1. Customer states that after transmission was replaced by Simpson Buena Park Cadillac, numerous underbody trim fasteners are missing, several major structural fasteners were about to fall off, and other structural fasteners were not tightened to the factory torque specifications

Customer states missing fasteners include:
1 hex head cap screw in the Front Compartment Air Deflector
1 hex head cap screw in the left Underbody Front Air Deflector
1 plastic fastener in the Front Bumper Fascia Center Air Deflector
2 Plastic fasteners in Engine Front Splash Shield
1 Plastic fastener in Front Bumper Lower Fascia (aka “splitter”)
4 plastic fasteners in the left Rear Wheelhouse Liner
4 plastic fasteners in the right Rear Wheelhouse Liner

Customer states 3 structural fasteners that were about to fall off the vehicle include:
Drivetrain and Front Suspension Cradle Rear hex head cap screw on passenger side (this is a torque to yield bolt – this fastener was retightened by customer to 74 ft-bs prior to driving the vehicle further, but customer did NOT apply additional 97 degrees of rotation as required by the service manual.)
Two Front Cradle Shear Plate rear nuts are still loose (not tightened by customer)

Customer states 6 rear hex head cap screws for the Front Cradle Shear Plate are not torqued to the factory specified torque value

Customer requests that all fasteners that were removed for transmission replacement be checked for proper torque and that torque to yield fasteners that were removed for transmission replacement be replaced with new fasteners. Customer requests that all missing fasteners be installed

Customer states that transmission heat shield is damaged in multiple places. Customer requests that all damaged heat shields be replaced

Customer states that small “snappable” heat shield at rear of left cylinder head was not reattached properly and is rubbing on the left exhaust manifold. Customer believes this is the heat shield for the oxygen sensor connector, but is not sure of the name of this part. Customer requests this heat shield be reinstalled correctly

Customer states that Engine Front Splash Shield (inside left front wheel well) is damaged. Customer requests this part be replaced

As noted in signed “Due Bill” left front fender is not properly aligned. Customer requests left front fender be realigned

As noted in signed “Due Bill” front passenger seat is damaged. Customer requests front passenger seat be repaired or replaced

Update on this:

I sent an email to my salesman on Thursday and he said he forwarded it to the service manager. I brought the car in on Saturday along with pictures and the written request below. I gave one copy to the service adviser and one to my salesman. I asked to speak to the service manager, but he was not in. My salesman said he would give the photos and my hardcopy request to him on Monday and that the service manager would call me Monday. I received no call on Monday. First thing Tuesday morning I emailed the request below to my salesman, told him I had not heard from the service manager, and asked to have the service manager call me. It is now Tuesday night, 5 days after I first notified the dealer. I have not been contacted. The print out I have from the service adviser lists only the items on the "due bill" - namely fender misalignment, damaged seat, and paint chip. I do not know how, or if, they plan to address the other issues and assure me that no other structural fasteners will fall out while I am driving this 200mph vehicle.

I plan to visit the dealership tomorrow and ask to speak to the general manager.

Transmission was replaced by Simpson Buena Park Cadillac prior to customer taking delivery of vehicle. Prior to taking delivery of vehicle, customer noted damage to right front seat and misaligned left fender – this was noted in “Due Bill.”

1. Customer states that after transmission was replaced by Simpson Buena Park Cadillac, numerous underbody trim fasteners are missing, several major structural fasteners were about to fall off, and other structural fasteners were not tightened to the factory torque specifications

Customer states 3 structural fasteners that were about to fall off the vehicle include:
Drivetrain and Front Suspension Cradle Rear hex head cap screw on passenger side (this is a torque to yield bolt – this fastener was retightened by customer to 74 ft-bs prior to driving the vehicle further, but customer did NOT apply additional 97 degrees of rotation as required by the service manual.)
Two Front Cradle Shear Plate rear nuts are still loose (not tightened by customer)

Customer states 6 rear hex head cap screws for the Front Cradle Shear Plate are not torqued to the factory specified torque value

Customer requests that all fasteners that were removed for transmission replacement be checked for proper torque and that torque to yield fasteners that were removed for transmission replacement be replaced with new fasteners. Customer requests that all missing fasteners be installed

Customer states that transmission heat shield is damaged in multiple places. Customer requests that all damaged heat shields be replaced

Customer states that small “snappable” heat shield at rear of left cylinder head was not reattached properly and is rubbing on the left exhaust manifold. Customer believes this is the heat shield for the oxygen sensor connector, but is not sure of the name of this part. Customer requests this heat shield be reinstalled correctly

Customer states that Engine Front Splash Shield (inside left front wheel well) is damaged. Customer requests this part be replaced

As noted in signed “Due Bill” left front fender is not properly aligned. Customer requests left front fender be realigned

As noted in signed “Due Bill” front passenger seat is damaged. Customer requests front passenger seat be repaired or replaced
Dang, how infuriating. Good idea to go the GM at this point. I'd be more aggressive and consistent. Put fire up your saleguys butt if you don't have GM's direct contact info. Squeaky wheel gets the grease- being patient & friendly here is not gonna get you anywhere. Wonder if Lemon Law could apply? Maybe each time you reach out to the dealr could count as an "attempt" for repair? Keep diligent records of your communications, ect. (paper trail is best). Sorry you have to deal w/ this added frustration.

Man, I’m sorry to read this whole saga. I’m the least litigious person, but…
IMG_4453.jpeg

Update on this:

You need to contact a lemon law attorney in your local market to determine your options.

Update on this:

Just reading this makes my blood pressure rise. I can't stand incompetence. Then, there is the safety issue...

@99sport I don't think any of us anticipated this nightmare situation when we suggested you buy this car, it's really disappointing to see how far off the rails this has gone.

Hopefully this comes to a resolution where you'll end up with a BW. If you do end up keeping this one, it would be best to have a comprehensive 3rd party PPI done by a reputable shop for piece of mind, at GMs expense of course.

Get a lawyer.
This 100% - the liability of what they let you leave the lot with is ridiculous.

Had a dealership uninstall my daughters car seat once to replace a headrest and then put it in the same spot unattached to the vehicle and not mention it to me or my wife. They literally watched her put our 1yr old into it and drive down the highway only for us to notice when we got home. An attorney will be your best friend and public humiliation of the dealership your second best.

I have an update and good news.

I filled out the survey GM sent me last night. I do not know if that had any impact on the resolution of this matter, but the general manager did say they had an incident open with GM. This morning the service manager called and we played phone tag as I was in meetings. Then the general manager left me a message as I was driving in to the dealership to discuss this.

This afternoon I spoke to the general manager and sales manager in person. The general manager acknowledged the dealer damaged the vehicle and they offered to buy the car back (undo the sale) so there is no loss to me including sales tax. I'm 95% sure I am going to accept this offer. He also offered to fix all the damage including dropping the trans to replace the damaged heat shield if I wanted to keep the car. I told him I'd like to sleep on it and I'd let him know tomorrow.

I really loved the car and the now discontinued color (wave metallic), but the only sensible thing to do is take them up on their buyback offer. I'm not sure If I'll buy another one or not.

Although this type of damage should never have occurred, I am totally satisfied with their response and could not ask for more.

Last edited:
That’s great news!

I filled out the survey GM sent me last night. I do not know if that had any impact on the resolution of this matter, but the GM did say they had an incident open with GM. This morning the service manager called and we played phone tag as I was in meetings. Then the general manager left me a message as I was driving in to the dealership to discuss this.

This afternoon I spoke to the general manager and sales manager in person. The general manager acknowledged the dealer damaged the vehicle and they offered to buy the car back (undo the sale) so there is no loss to me including sales tax. I'm 95% sure I am going to accept this offer. He also offered to fix all the damage including dropping the trans to replace the damaged heat shield if I wanted to keep the car. I told him I'd like to sleep on it and I'd let him know tomorrow.

I really loved the car and the now discontinued color (wave metallic), but the only sensible thing to do is take them up on their buyback offer. I'm not sure If I'll buy another one or not.

Although this type of damage should never have occurred, I am totally satisfied with their response and could not ask for more.
A few things I would think about with the buyback…

You got MSRP for it and most manuals aren’t going for MSRP and many are $10-15k over, if you can even find one in the color and build out you want.

Will they give you first allocation on a 24? Do they have one? Are you willing to wait a year to receive it?

I filled out the survey GM sent me last night. I do not know if that had any impact on the resolution of this matter, but the GM did say they had an incident open with GM. This morning the service manager called and we played phone tag as I was in meetings. Then the general manager left me a message as I was driving in to the dealership to discuss this.

Excellent, get another BW my friend and forget about it.
I will tell you that honestly.....Your not going to get that type of response from any other auto manufacture. Everybody in here will disagree this, that or the other. I am telling nobody backs their products and customers in the better than GM.

Excellent, get another BW my friend and forget about it.
I will tell you that honestly.....Your not going to get that type of response from any other auto manufacture. Everybody in here will disagree this, that or the other. I am telling nobody backs their products and customers in the better than GM.
I second that. Find another stick shift 5BW, however you have to do it. It may just seem like another car but the real shame is if you were to let this situation spoil it for you. There really isn't any other sedan ever made that can do what this car can do, and there never will be.

FWIW, even knowing how good this car is, I still would walk away from this Wave Metallic one, It's got bad mojo.

Last edited:
I’ve been to that Buena Park dealership last year for warranty work (non-mechanical) on my 4BW. They supposedly had/have tech(s) that are V-certified. Work was completed to my satisfaction. However, while waiting for my car, I observed what a circus it seemed like in and around the service areas. Didn’t seem to be operationally efficient/organized. In short, just had a feeling an accident was waiting to happen and never returned back since.

I would 100% accept the buyback if it happened to my 4BW. But I would not order from a dealer. I'd sift through whatever is on dealer lots to replace it, because screw waiting, and all the negative emotions that come with it. I'm open to any color though, so it pays to not be super picky.

I know that 5BWs are a bit more difficult to acquire this way though. I imagine that there is more than one Cadillac dealer in your area, so I would just avoid the original dealer and take it to the other ones.

I think at this point you're going to get the best eyes they have on the car, if you choose to keep it. Obviously there was some sort of massive miscommunication during the process. I'm guilty of putting feelings and emotions on my cars all the time, but the reality is if they hit the reset on the R&R and have a senior tech do the work, it's going to be good as new. The factory assembly line isn't a mechanical nirvana where magical things happen, good mechanics can duplicate the assembly process.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back