Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Gas Station Failure

DonD

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT4-V Blackwing
The closest gas stations to home are two right off of an interstate off ramp.

It seems that Shell keeps upgrading their gas and I prefer it when possible. Across the street is a Chevron which is much better managed. So, finishing a bunch of errands, I stopped at the Chevron to fill up a 5gal container I use to feed our lawn tractor. Tried to shut it off with about a quarter gallon to full so I could use Stabil gas treatment.

Damned nozzle jammed and before I could shut it off, about a gallon had spilled. Stench of gas was powerful and I hate it.

Guy in a nice pickup pulled up behind me. I suggested that he move to another pump because of the spill. Buffoon ignored me.

The station was busy but one guy did come out and did a very thorough job of spreading down an absorbent and sweeping it up.

Wasn't about to leave prematurely. I was driving our 2 mo old CTV-4 Blackwing and had no interest in sparks igniting the gas fumes and burning the car to the ground. Probably wouldn't have burned but not worth the risk.

The Shell station has been incompetent for the 12 yrs we've lived here. I has not been unusual to see half or more of the pumps showing the yellow plastic "OUT OF ORDER" bags.

Calling the Shell distributor does no good. Don

I go to Costco because they are a top tier gas supplier and much cheaper, and the only Shell station near me is similarly incompetently managed.

However, the downside of Costco is that the stupid, arrogant, annoying people who go there annoy the crap out of me... don't get me started!

I try to only go on Saturday morning before the big store opens. I will sometimes go on Sunday morning (even less traffic) but that's usually when they get a delivery, and I try to avoid getting gas during/after sediment stirring deliveries.

I hate to wait in line.

I can't have been the only one to complain about the Shell station, it's a mess and you'd think corporate Shell wouldn't want such bad publicity. Of course the politicians who allowed a Home Depot on the south side of I10 and two gas stations on the north side should have been fired for stupidity. They never pay for their bad judgement.

Costco isn't an option for us, over 20 miles each way and you get into craphole San Antonio traffic, enough to dampen your day. Don

I can't have been the only one to complain about the Shell station, it's a mess and you'd think corporate Shell wouldn't want such bad publicity. Of course the politicians who allowed a Home Depot on the south side of I10 and two gas stations on the north side should have been fired for stupidity. They never pay for their bad judgement.

Costco isn't an option for us, over 20 miles each way and you get into craphole San Antonio traffic, enough to dampen your day. Don
I've never been to a gas station bad enough where it's worth complaining to corporate.

They don't care and there are a million gas stations to choose from.

I go to Costco because they are a top tier gas supplier

I don't want to get into a whole thing here, but almost ALL gas is "top tier". As someone who drove tankers for years, gas IS gas. There is almost NO difference in gas from one brand to another. It comes from the same refinery, the same pipeline, the same huge storage tank. IF, and it's a big if, there's any difference, it's the "additives" that go in, IF they go in. And the additives are only about an ounce or so per gallon. Gas is loaded first by allocation, then price. Trust me, price is the driving factor. The biggest thing you can do for yourself is buy from a HIGH volume store. The "fresher" the gas, the better. If it sits, it goes bad. I could tell you stories about gas and who gets what...or doesn't get what.

With all the filters a modern gas station has, it really doesn't matter if you fill up when the tanker drops. I would avoid older stores or stores that don't do the maintenance (mom and pop types with one store) when a tanker is dropping.

I don't want to get into a whole thing here, but almost ALL gas is "top tier". As someone who drove tankers for years, gas IS gas. There is almost NO difference in gas from one brand to another. It comes from the same refinery, the same pipeline, the same huge storage tank. IF, and it's a big if, there's any difference, it's the "additives" that go in, IF they go in. And the additives are only about an ounce or so per gallon. Gas is loaded first by allocation, then price. Trust me, price is the driving factor. The biggest thing you can do for yourself is buy from a HIGH volume store. The "fresher" the gas, the better. If it sits, it goes bad. I could tell you stories about gas and who gets what...or doesn't get what.

With all the filters a modern gas station has, it really doesn't matter if you fill up when the tanker drops. I would avoid older stores or stores that don't do the maintenance (mom and pop types with one store) when a tanker is dropping.
There was/is another thread here that dove into the topic way beyond what most of us know. For the record, I was witness only. The big take I got from it was similar to what you've posted. Stations that get refilled most frequently typically also have the freshest gas. Costco specifically also had additives used that were less damaging to the cars compared to others also IIRC.

I don't want to get into a whole thing here, but almost ALL gas is "top tier". As someone who drove tankers for years, gas IS gas. There is almost NO difference in gas from one brand to another. It comes from the same refinery, the same pipeline, the same huge storage tank. IF, and it's a big if, there's any difference, it's the "additives" that go in, IF they go in. . . .

I knew about the first part, but am now glad to have learned that I no longer have to worry about filling up while it's being dropped. Thanks.

My Costco is relatively new (5 years?) and as much volume as they do, they probably get a tanker every day or two, so it's always fresh. Kind of like the hot dogs...

I agree, I have never stated this on this forum but as a guy that manages a private gas station I can confirm you are correct.....

I hate the maintenance and upkeep, and having to deal with the Texas TCEQ that regulates stations.. And having to deal with the Veeder-Root system daily....

Melissa Mccarthy Fight GIF by Saturday Night Live

Folks, I don't want to get in the middle of this but when people get nasty it's not cool. I've probably offended people here too and I look back on it in regret.

Not only is it disrespectful to other members but it's also disrespectful to Rob who runs this forum.

You guys have something to say to each other say it in the private messages. But take a deep breath before you post.

"Watch your thoughts, they become your words; watch your words, they become your actions; watch your actions, they become your habits; watch your habits, they become your character; watch your character, it becomes your destiny."
Lao Tzu

Forrest Gump GIF by GrayDuckDent

Last edited:
"Watch your thoughts, they become your words; watch your words, they become your actions; watch your actions, they become your habits; watch your habits, they become your character; watch your character, it becomes your destiny."
Lao Tzu
To summarize, the way we think determines our life.

Last edited:
I know I'm not well liked here but in reality I'm a heck of a guy, so remember this is a forum and we sometimes go keyboard warrior and post without thinking.... Guys, don't take things so personally..

Last edited:

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners