Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Winter Storage

I know this isn't one "those" forums, and I certainly don't want to get into any kind of pissing match here, but science says that adding fresh gas to a tank of old gas will not magically remove the water. That would require a chemical reaction that simply does not happen.

If you can prove me wrong, using science, then I'd love to be educated and I promise I won't get upset and start to cry or anything like that... ;)
Most gasoline with its "winter blend" already has an anti-freeze in it. Us older guys know it as Liquid Heet. This used to be used to remove water from the fuel and keep it from freezing in your lines. But, most gasoline refineries now add this online and it's no longer really needed. Or at least this is the way it was explained to me by my ex-father-in-law.

Most gasoline with its "winter blend" already has an anti-freeze in it. Us older guys know it as Liquid Heet. This used to be used to remove water from the fuel and keep it from freezing in your lines. But, most gasoline refineries now add this online and it's no longer really needed. Or at least this is the way it was explained to me by my ex-father-in-law.
OK, I didn't know that. However, to stay on my pedantic horse, I'll suggest that it does not remove the water (if it did, where does it go?) but rather, it lowers the freezing point. Which is what antifreeze does in your cooling system too.

tmp.gif

The video doesn't work for me (I'm at work, and our filters block a lot of stuff). So I went to the manufacturer's web site and this is what I found:

Any water in the gas tank mixes with the ISO-HEET® brand, preventing the water from freezing in winter. ISO-HEET® brand also removes water and condensation in warm, wet weather. Then the entire mixture of gasoline, ISO-HEET® brand and water are burned during combustion inside the engine.​

Please note that nowhere do they claim that it removes water. It simply absorbs it.

When using a battery tender, is everyone connecting to posts under the hood, or directly to the battery in the trunk?

I use the connection points under the hood. My C7 charger goes to the 12V port in the hatch.

When I flew helicopters , we always topped off the fuel tank whenever we landed. The crewchiefs were taught to take as much air volume out of the 300 gallon tanks in order to reduce the chance of air/ vapors condensing into water and getting into the fuel tank. Part of our preflight was to lay on our backs and take a fuel sample with an old IV glass bottle. Since the fuel sample valves was at the very bottom of the tank, any water would immediately be seen in the glass bottle. We would only see a very tiny amount of water if the aircraft sat unused for an extended period of time. If anything, we mostly saw small black particles from the rubber self sealing lining of the tank. The helo can take direct hits to the fuel tank and self seal. I always top off my vehicle fuel tanks before winter storage. I do go and visit every 5-6 weeks and start them up till operating temps and take them for a 5 minute ride before going back in the garage (climate controlled). I do have rodent traps in the corners of the garage. Critters will do tremendous damage to parts.
** I also call USAA and suspend my collision part of my insurance, while in storage. Saves me a few hundred $$'s.
***Also the fuel that we drained from the aircraft tanks was then dumped into 5 gal. containers that the airfield firemen then used to start fires for practice. Nothing goes to waste.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back