Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V Engine failure

CT5-V Model
If the faulty parts are being distributed to ALL the builders , then it will show failures at each station. If just ONE builder is having the MAJORITY of failures, then there is a problem with that builder. Part failures are traced back to the manufacturer.....if the part fails because , let's say, improper installation, then that is on the builder.
Not sure if you're following the example I'm making. I'm wondering if the builder in question was operating from a bad batch/lot from an outside supplier. I'd like to assume that Caddy could backtrack every part from each car by production run. When those parts show up for new builds are they distributed by batch to each builder or are the builders just coming and grabbing their parts off a communal table? I agree that if just one builder has the majority of failures that the common denominator is the builder obviously. Giving that individual the benefit of the doubt, is the same issue happening on multiple motors? Then could you track it back to bad parts from the supplier? Maybe his training for build wasn't good enough. What are the chances the same builder could have used faulty parts that were deemed good from QC but different areas of the motor from one build to the other. I guess I just want to give the builders a chance to keep their positions. I am eager to hear and learn more about this broke back motor.

In my situation it was my crankshaft that was the issue. To my understanding there was a defect in it. I have no idea who built my new motor as they sent a new motor and supercharger but not a new supercharger lid. Who knows if I'll have issues in the future with this motor. For now it seems quite strong. It's a car. Cars break. It is what it is. I don't blame Crystal for my motor popping especially if it's a manufacturer defect.

I was a little nervous to open my hood the first time for the builder reveal, but thankfully it wasn't @Throat Yogurt girlfriend. At the same time I'm a little skeptical of guys with two first names, but I trust that Anthony Terry does good work.

Registry reference here, scroll down for the current list. Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing Registry

Maybe Rob can add a new column next to how many engines each builder made for how many engines they made that blew up.

Who built how many with all builders on the project included with the methodology? That's a start?^^^^

I was a little nervous to open my hood the first time for the builder reveal, but thankfully it wasn't @Throat Yogurt girlfriend. At the same time I'm a little skeptical of guys with two first names, but I trust that Anthony Terry does good work.

Registry reference here, scroll down for the current list. Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing Registry
Well my original engine that got replaced after 4,000 miles was built by him so….

Not sure if you're following the example I'm making. I'm wondering if the builder in question was operating from a bad batch/lot from an outside supplier. I'd like to assume that Caddy could backtrack every part from each car by production run. When those parts show up for new builds are they distributed by batch to each builder or are the builders just coming and grabbing their parts off a communal table? I agree that if just one builder has the majority of failures that the common denominator is the builder obviously. Giving that individual the benefit of the doubt, is the same issue happening on multiple motors? Then could you track it back to bad parts from the supplier? Maybe his training for build wasn't good enough. What are the chances the same builder could have used faulty parts that were deemed good from QC but different areas of the motor from one build to the other. I guess I just want to give the builders a chance to keep their positions. I am eager to hear and learn more about this broke back motor.
Most major parts have scanned QR codes. Even the brake pads for that exact reason.

When I tried to get the free oil change early, I was told the oil life monitor had to show less than 20% oil life to be covered.
This just goes to show you the inconsistencies amongst dealers and service protocols

Well my original engine that got replaced after 4,000 miles was built by him so….
Ha! See, two first names! No I thought yours was determined to be an evap issue as the primary cause?

When I tried to get the free oil change early, I was told the oil life monitor had to show less than 20% oil life to be covered.
I changed mine at 500 and my dealer offered it for free but I kept it for the next change and I just used it up. Maybe my dealer isn't a stickler🤷🏻

As a sidenote, the first maintenance is free, shown on the window sticker under owner benefits

Most major parts have scanned QR codes. Even the brake pads for that exact reason.
With that kind of traceability Caddy should be able to investigate and determine exactly where the problem began. I'm truly hoping issues lie with bad parts and not a builder.

My engine was built by Anthony Terry, I had a failed part. I seriously doubt the builder had something to do with this or any failure for that matter. These parts were manufactured during Covid and there is something to say about that. My wife's new Mazda had tiny metal shavings including brass and other glittery bits in the oil change. Too soon to tell if it's serious but it's not a good sign. Hopefully I won't have any issues in the future with either of these cars.

I am waiting for the Blackstone analysis on my 2nd oil change at ~4200 mi on my 5BW, I'll post it in a new thread in the next month.

Thread 'SC Intercooler outlet line broke' SC Intercooler outlet line broke

With that kind of traceability Caddy should be able to investigate and determine exactly where the problem began. I'm truly hoping issues lie with bad parts and not a builder.
I was at Ford watching how they assembled the 662HP 5.8 motor for my GT500 (hand built) and the builder hardly touched the parts as the computer/machines did all the work. The main focus of the builder was to ensure the proper coded parts were being assembled. Occasionally checking the tolerances, inspecting the parts.

So, if this is how a "hand built" motor is assembled with GM? My money is on a failed part(s), aka- stress cracks, etc.

So, if this is how a "hand built" motor is assembled with GM? My money is on a failed part(s), aka- stress cracks, etc.

I've done the LT4 engine build experience back when it was still a thing; this for my '17 Z06. The engine builder is a very active participant in the building process. The things done by computer:
  • Torquing various bolts down
  • Checking and recording said torques
  • Applying gaskets
  • One other thing with the DI, I think? I can't remember (this was back in '16).
The builder is very much doing all of the hands-on things. Been there, done that, literally got the t-shirt for it.

I watched a video (I think it was the Corvette engine builds) and the engine builder gets a bunch of parts on a tall cart. He then scans each part with the QR codes and it talks to a main computer to confirm that the parts are correct for that engine. The torque wrenches were all computer controlled and programmed to the correct specs for that motor. It seemed like it was designed to take the human failure factor out of the build.......but remember who programmed the computer to begin with......a stupid human.

Ha! See, two first names! No I thought yours was determined to be an evap issue as the primary cause?
That’s what the speculation was from the dealer. The point is that who built the engine likely has zero impact on failure rates. It’s probably going to be a part failure not something a builder messed up on whether that part is in the engine or outside the engine. There is a lot of automation and check scanning on a build so it would be difficult to really mess something up & it not get caught.

That’s what the speculation was from the dealer. The point is that who built the engine likely has zero impact on failure rates. It’s probably going to be a part failure not something a builder messed up on whether that part is in the engine or outside the engine. There is a lot of automation and check scanning on a build so it would be difficult to really mess something up & it not get caught.
I'm with you on this. My thread on my failure devolved into "It's the builders fault" but multiple times I've said it was purely a defect in my crankshaft that caused one of the bearings to spin.

I know what’s wrong with it. Ain’t got no gas in it.

I'm with you on this. My thread on my failure devolved into "It's the builders fault" but multiple times I've said it was purely a defect in my crankshaft that caused one of the bearings to spin.
I think folks are reaching for this consciously or subconsciously because it would be comforting if it were simply all down to one builder 'screwing up' ... because then all you'd have to do is look at the plate on your engine to know whether or not your engine is likely to grenade. Problems with certain batches of parts or some kind of fundamental design flaw are 'scarier' because the chance of it happening to you seems more random.

Best we can do here is if it does happen to us, try to share whatever you were told about the failure mode, fix and root cause that was given to you. My guess is that if there is some kind of systematic problem GM are going to try and avoid doing a general recall and repair, and will let these fail in the field and replace on a case-by-case basis.

I changed mine at 500 and my dealer offered it for free but I kept it for the next change and I just used it up. Maybe my dealer isn't a stickler🤷🏻

As a sidenote, the first maintenance is free, shown on the window sticker under owner benefits
My contribution to the oil change side of the blown engine thread:

The Cadillac web page also lists the first oil change, tire rotation (N/A to BW cars certainly) and some checks.

1678370830979.png

Note the disclaimer on all the notices though:

*New owners and lessees of 2022-2023 model year vehicles. Maintenance visit must occur at an eligible participating Cadillac dealership within the first year of vehicle delivery for 2022 models and within 18 months of vehicle delivery for 2023 models. Does not include air filters. See dealer for other restrictions and complete details.

I think that last part is where some dealers are applying "other restrictions".

I'm going to set up an appointment for the recall work and the oil change when I can get a good weather day. I'm at 1550 miles with 46% oil life. I think it's justified to change the original oil, and I don't see why a dealer would want to set a bad tone for a potential lifetime service client by denying the free service. It's not feasible for me to use the dealer I purchased from since they are almost 100 miles away, but the local dealer surely would want a new customer.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back