Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V Engine failure

CT5-V Model
Note to all. On 2/28/23 the engine in my 2022 CT5V Blackwing failed. It was trucked to the dealership, Sewell Cadillac of Dallas.

FYI. I just got this from the Sewell service manager:

“Mr. Shanks,

It appears that we may have an internal engine failure.
So sorry to hear. Only good thing out of this is that from what I've heard you have one of the better dealers out there. Best of luck to you Captain

I just did a 300 mile easy ride trip, 4800 miles on the car and the oil level was checked before I left and when I returned it was a full Quart short? Is this typical oil consumption in an LT4?
I certainly hope not. Made me run out to garage to check mine, all good, almost 3,000 miles and did my own first oil change at 1,500. Saving my first free service until I see oil life monitor drop to about 25%

I just did a 300 mile easy ride trip, 4800 miles on the car and the oil level was checked before I left and when I returned it was a full Quart short? No smoke, performance of the car is outstanding? It got my attention being it should be past the break-in point? Is this typical oil consumption in an LT4?
You are fine, for now. It should improve and if it doesn't keep an eye on it and bring it up with the dealer. If you change your own oil take a look at the bottom of the pan and look for gold or shiny metal deposits. Take a photo for reference.

Manual states on page 236:
Check engine oil with every refueling and add if necessary. Oil and fuel consumption maybe higher than normal during the first 2414km(1,500mi).

I believe it states as much in the OM and has long been my practice, consistency with when and where one checks the level oil level is important. I check when parked in my level garage after it has rested overnight. I only check my oil at gas stations to make sure its in the safe range, not to verify usage rates.

Sorry to hear this. Unfortunately you are not alone as there have been at least two others on this forum and the one that Car and Driver posted. It is strange, there are a lot more ZL1 and Z06s and you never really hear about those LT4s having major failures so there must be something going on with the 5BW builds, parts, etc.

Re the ZL1s, bad oil pumps yes but, major failures, no.

Curious to see what the issue is when they're done with the diagnostics.

The factory oil shouldn't have been an issue but it wouldn't have hurt to get it done sooner. I had mine changed at 1200 miles just to make sure there was no metal or anything fishy going on. Checked the dipstick every week when the engine was cold to make sure oil levels were good. Maybe paranoia from reading all these stories on here but rather safe than sorry. (Side note, your first oil change is NOT covered if it's under 5k miles)

Hopefully you get your car back in reasonable time @AACaptRet ! Glad you're safe/unharmed. Is launching the BW as fun as take-off or does nothing really compare to taking off in a plane?
I had my oil changed at 560 miles and was covered as my first service

I got 20,000 My Rewards points when I bought my BW new. If your not familiar with the my rewards program, download the Cadillac app or go to Cadillac.com and under your account you'll see rewards programs. I used my points to pay for services and parts.

If the service dept is being sticklers about when you can get your first change you could try another dealer or just use the points.

I thought I read somewhere the points had to be used within the 1st year of ownership, don't quote me on that. You could try calling CS and they may extend it.

56EC5A70-C629-4671-ABF7-88FF9E58E274.jpeg
238F5F22-90E7-4A57-9631-30194BA9376F.jpeg

Sorry Capt for your posting getting off your posted topic! I hope quick resolution and to your satisfaction for your engine repairs/replacement.

For the oil change topic- I will not go to a dealer unless I have no choice!! I changed mine at 849 miles and didn’t mind paying for the oil & filter myself. Last year on another car that I took to the dealer for a brake flush, they forgot to reinstall the brake reservoir cap🤬 and contaminated my brake fluid. I didn’t catch it for months because the brake reservoir was under another cover. Changing the oil & filter myself also allows me to check under the car issues, granted with this low miles, didn’t expect any.

What was interesting was all of the small rocks stuck in the small slit vents and I cleaned them out.

I also found out that my ZL1 universal pinch weld adapters with jack pad will work on this car in the future. I use them on my 2017 ZL1 convertible.

You are fine, for now. It should improve and if it doesn't keep an eye on it and bring it up with the dealer. If you change your own oil take a look at the bottom of the pan and look for gold or shiny metal deposits. Take a photo for reference.

Manual states on page 236:
Check engine oil with every refueling and add if necessary. Oil and fuel consumption maybe higher than normal during the first 2414km(1,500mi).
I'm on my second engine and pretty sure that it's consuming a bit of oil too. At about 4900 miles (4500 with the new motor) and I feel like it's consumed some oil as the oil pressures stop returning to 38 at idle as quick as they used to with the oil change I did at 3k miles. Hoping that I don't have another bum motor.... Does anyone know in terms of oil pressures where the LT4 is supposed to sit. There's really no material out there for it. At idle I fluctuate between 37-38PSI depending on the oil temps (typically sitting more at 37) and then on the freeway just cruising I sit at about 42. After a pull it'll drop as low as 39PSI and then head back up to 42. Really wish Cadillac put something in the owners manual on what's normal oil pressures etc. Going to take it up to the dealer either tomorrow or Wednesday to have them change and check my oil for metal. My anxiety after my last motor went on me is still just gnawing away at me which really sucks because this is the only car I've truly had any attachment to.

I'm on my second engine and pretty sure that it's consuming a bit of oil too. At about 4900 miles (4500 with the new motor) and I feel like it's consumed some oil as the oil pressures stop returning to 38 at idle as quick as they used to with the oil change I did at 3k miles. Hoping that I don't have another bum motor.... Does anyone know in terms of oil pressures where the LT4 is supposed to sit. There's really no material out there for it. At idle I fluctuate between 37-38PSI depending on the oil temps (typically sitting more at 37) and then on the freeway just cruising I sit at about 42. After a pull it'll drop as low as 39PSI and then head back up to 42. Really wish Cadillac put something in the owners manual on what's normal oil pressures etc. Going to take it up to the dealer either tomorrow or Wednesday to have them change and check my oil for metal. My anxiety after my last motor went on me is still just gnawing away at me which really sucks because this is the only car I've truly had any attachment to.
Your oil pressure seems fine. On my ZL1, hot idle (200 degree temps) was around 35-37psi. During a pull it would reach between 60-70psi. If you start seeing the pressure start to dip into in the 20s then that is when folks become concerned with a faulty oil pump, etc. Try not to worry about it and enjoy it.

Nobody thinks that 5200 miles on the factory oil isn't too much? I've got 360 miles on mine, and I plan on changing the oil at 500 and again at 1500. Then probably every 3000 as I'll probably drive fewer than that in a year. Conventional wisdom says that you'll have break-in metals floating around, as well as stuff like assembly lube, that you want to get out of the engine sooner rather than later.

Nobody thinks that 5200 miles on the factory oil isn't too much? I've got 360 miles on mine, and I plan on changing the oil at 500 and again at 1500. Then probably every 3000 as I'll probably drive fewer than that in a year. Conventional wisdom says that you'll have break-in metals floating around, as well as stuff like assembly lube, that you want to get out of the engine sooner rather than later.
It's not really his problem. Cadillac could easily make that a recommended/required service like BMW does.

They don't, so they'll give him a new engine.

What @Matt27 is spot on. The oil could have been changed much earlier but that's not the point. This one is on GM and their parts vendors. An early oil change would have only prolonged the engine's demise. The OP did nothing wrong, and nothing they could have done would have prevented this.

Unless it is clearly stated somewhere, folks typically just go by the oil life monitor. When it gets to about 20% it notifies. That is how 95% of folks go about it. Enthusiasts like us typically change it more often because it Is a hobby and makes us feel better but it is not necessary according to GM.

I remember the C7 corvettes with dry sumps were required to change the oil at 500 miles since they were experiencing oil foaming due to some of the lubricants during engine break-in but the LT4 in the 5BW is wet sump so no issue.

I changed my oil at 1000 and then every 3000, mainly because I don’t drive a lot of miles. I read that it is a good idea to change the oil the LF4 in the 4BWs sooner than the oil life monitor suggests. I bought the race ramps and the oil is pretty cheap at Walmart.

I remember the C7 Z06 500 mile required oil change due to the foaming from the sealant and oil additives… I do it because never hurts to remove break in residual metals. I have always found them so I stay the course on every engine regardless what the MFG states. Simple to do, cheap and peace of mind… for me.

The oil life monitor is pretty sophisticated. If you don’t drive the car much the monitor may alert you to change even more frequently than 3k bc of age. At least on other engines at the performance build center (like current z06) they run on an engine dyno to check everything us working and start the break in. They also change the oil after I believe so there should be a lot less assembly line crap in the vs other normal engines. Since my car only got a new long block rather than complete motor I’m going to change after break in and before first track day. After that going off the oil monitor.

I remember the C7 Z06 500 mile required oil change due to the foaming from the sealant and oil additives… I do it because never hurts to remove break in residual metals. I have always found them so I stay the course on every engine regardless what the MFG states. Simple to do, cheap and peace of mind… for me.
The 500 mile oil change is due to the dry sump system. The LT1 cars with dry sump also required the 500 mile change.

The 500 mile oil change is due to the dry sump system. The LT1 cars with dry sump also required the 500 mile change.
I know that we are really straying off the OP topic talking about Corvettes (sorry again OP), but I only agree with your statement for cars built after 2016; however, cars that were built before 2016 GM released this statement below. My 2016 Z06 was an "early 2016" that was built in 2015, so GM told my dealer to change my oil due to the issue below of foaming that I was seeing. Later year models, GM released a statement that dry sump cars were required due to "break in contaminates." See after below for that one as well for 2016+ dry sump. I bolded everything to make it easier to find.
When I changed my oil at 849 miles on my 22 5BW, my oil filter left a nice puddle of shine metal in the oil when it was turned upside down for a couple of minutes to drain before disposal. See those pictures below. Normally you would miss this if a dealer changes your oil & filter. BTW - I expected some metal, so not shocked BUT glad I removed it from further circulation. I will change one more time at 1500 miles, then annually or 3000 miles, whatever comes first for my peace of mind.
*****************************************************************************************
To: Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, and Cadillac Dealers
2014/2015 Z51 and Z06 Corvettes - Additional Required Maintenance

The following message only applies to dry sump Corvettes that have not had their first oil change performed.
Some 2014/2015 Z51 and Z06 Corvettes may experience a condition that leads to oil leaking out from the air cleaner assembly. This condition may be caused by running the engine continuously at a high engine speed with the first factory fill oil, resulting in silicone sealants in the engine's gaskets degrading the oil's anti-foaming agents. The oil foam has no effect on the engine's durability.

Effective Immediately:
GM is changing the required maintenance schedule for all 2014/2015 Z51 and Z06 Corvettes equipped with dry sump systems. The new schedule will require the oil/filter be changed immediately after the break-in period, which occurs after the first 500 miles of operation.
Once the break-in oil change is performed and the Oil Life Monitoring system is reset, customers should follow the Oil Life Monitoring system for all future oil change needs.

Later models 2016+:
GM has changed the required maintenance schedule for all 2016 Z51, Z52 and Z06 Corvettes equipped with dry sump systems.
The new schedule will require the oil/filter be changed immediately after the break-in period, which occurs after the first 500 miles of operation.
“We now encourage all owners to change their oil at 500 miles to remove possible contaminants created during the engine break-in process. And, as always, we encourage the use of Mobil 1 synthetic oil – which is a factory fill for all Z06 models, and Stingray Z51 models – and encourage owners to follow the engine break-in process detailed in the owner’s manual,”said Chevrolet spokesperson Monte Doran.
*************************************************************************************
849 miles on my 22 5BW, shiny residue in oil from factory oil filter (excuse the rag that fell in by accident on 1st pic). All the oil in this particular container came from just the oil filter removal that drained out from the engine:
IMG_0271.jpeg
IMG_0272.jpeg
IMG_0273.jpeg

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!