Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V Engine failure

CT5-V Model
It seems the oil change agreement is up to each dealer. I took mine for her first change at 1,000 miles. The dealer didn't want to do it yet simply based on mileage. After explaining to them that it isn't a DD I was told that that would be my one freebie. As mentioned earlier I too believe it can be used whenever you want. Wouldn't be surprised if they said it needs to be used inside the first year of ownership.

The LT4 is a great platform but in stock configuration we really are asking a lot of it at 660hp. Let's not forget there are at least 11 documented ZL1 low mile engine failures to go along with 30 plus Zo6s in the past 7 years. Of course they get made in way more numbers. It's hard to believe in two full model years there still will be fewer Blackwings made than ZL1s or Z06s in any given year....

Cap, sorry to hear this but glad you're ok.
You mention ZL1 and Z06 failures at low miles - have there been more failures at higher miles, like 10k, 20k, 40k, 60k? Just wondering if it's something where if you make it past say 5k-10k miles, you should be good?

You mention ZL1 and Z06 failures at low miles - have there been more failures at higher miles, like 10k, 20k, 40k, 60k? Just wondering if it's something where if you make it past say 5k-10k miles, you should be good?

I would expect so, but people tend to only publish the low miles failures and by 60k guys are tossing on serious mods so... I don't know...

All I'm saying is the LT4 is great engine but at this level of performance it only takes a tiny manufacturing flaw to make it all go boom.

Note to all. On 2/28/23 the engine in my 2022 CT5V Blackwing failed. It was trucked to the dealership, Sewell Cadillac of Dallas.

FYI. I just got this from the Sewell service manager:

“Mr. Shanks,

It appears that we may have an internal engine failure. Which explains why it just died with no warning. We will have to do a tear down on the engine to see exactly what is going on and needs to be replaced. We will not be able to have it fully torn down till until the middle part of next week. When we drained the oil there was bearing material in the oil. I will give you an update next week once it is torn down. Do we need to get a loan car out to you in the mean time?

Thank you,
David Boyd | Service Manager”
F*** - man sorry to hear this

When I tried to get the free oil change early, I was told the oil life monitor had to show less than 20% oil life to be covered.
Call me shocked that your dealer lied to you. :rolleyes:

The service writers are the slimiest employees in a dealership. I can't stand taking my car in for anything because of those cretins.

It seems the oil change agreement is up to each dealer. I took mine for her first change at 1,000 miles. The dealer didn't want to do it yet simply based on mileage. After explaining to them that it isn't a DD I was told that that would be my one freebie. As mentioned earlier I too believe it can be used whenever you want. Wouldn't be surprised if they said it needs to be used inside the first year of ownership.
The one-year expiration was in the fine print on the "your first service is on us" mailer I got straight from Cadillac.
View attachment 17378

Attachments

• 20230303_155620.jpg
    20230303_155620.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 74
Last edited:
PrimeTime. Thanks for your thoughts. I am beyond getting emotionally involved with this. It’s a machine. A very nice machine, but still a machine. Sewell Cadillac has a well deserved reputation for superior customer service. I am confident they will do the right thing. It’s Cadillac’s dime after all. Stay tuned.
Did they give you a loaner Caddy to drive while yours is out of commission? It’ll be interesting to hear if the one bank of cylinders $hit the bed like the other failed LT4s…

You'll get a new engine. It's a complex machine and engine. Crap happens. Some of y'all don't need to make a mountain out of a mole hill. Buy extended warranty from GM (if it gives you a warm fuzzy) and run the car hard. It's designed for it and the engine likes it. If it doesn't, you'll get a new one under warranty. The LT4 is generally a very robust engine.

So I was correct. I am NOT the first person who has this problem. Thank you for that information. I will continue to post updates as I get them.

I'm so sorry to hear about this! I was really hoping that I'd be the only one experiencing a situation with it. TLDR on my own story with mine if you haven't run through my post:

There was a bur or a blockage in the oil journal for bearings 3 and 4 and with lack of lubrication caused them to friction weld to my crankshaft.

I posted some photos in my post of what that looks like. How did the motor sound? Did it sputter and then start squeaking or pretty much just lock up? Also do you have a manual or an automatic? Hopefully they get you something better than the Buick Encore loaner I had for a month and a half haha. Best of luck to you chief.

I get what you're saying about warranty @quikag , but it's high failure rate and it's not like its a module that can easily be replaced. It's about as invasive a surgery an automobile can go under. In the used market, an ad that reads "engine replaced under warranty" is a bit of scarlet letter for some. The randomness of the issues is disconcerting a bit too. It gives the impression that QC isn't where it should be.

With that said, on an individual basis the odds are still quite that low that one of us will suffer a failure.

Is there another way to get an indication if you are getting "blow by" in the SC with oil on the cooling bricks without actually having to take the lid off the SC? Will it bleed thru in another location that may indicate this issue? Any SME out there that can weigh in? One of the other members had posted this on another thread? thinking about this now with this recent meltdown. I just did a 300 mile easy ride trip, 4800 miles on the car and the oil level was checked before I left and when I returned it was a full Quart short? No smoke, performance of the car is outstanding? It got my attention being it should be past the break-in point? Is this typical oil consumption in an LT4?

A quart! This is alarming! Headed out to check my oil level now..

I had a ZL1 before I got the 4BW. I haven't heard of many engine failures, it was the oil pump that everyone was freaking out about. Seems to be an issue with the early 2017-2018s as they supposedly improved the pump but some with higher mileage swap to the Katech but it is very expensive from a labor perspective. This is the poll that the forum captures and 93 page thread.

Screenshot 2023-03-03 at 6.31.29 PM.png

I had a ZL1 before I got the 4BW. I haven't heard of many engine failures, it was the oil pump that everyone was freaking out about. Seems to be an issue with the early 2017-2018s as they supposedly improved the pump but some with higher mileage swap to the Katech but it is very expensive from a labor perspective. This is the poll that the forum captures and 93 page thread.

View attachment 17390

Isn't the ZL1 dry sump though vs. wet sump for the BW?

Call me shocked that your dealer lied to you. :rolleyes:
Counterpoint is they aren't getting out of providing a free oil change. The oil life monitor is going to prompt for a change within the first year regardless.

This I think would be the first time GM is letting a dealer disassemble. Mine they wanted shipped back to them so they could tear down & inspect themselves. I’d ask Cadillac for compensation while the car is disabled.

My guess is if you push GM a little they will offer you an extended warranty on the entire car for no cost. It could be a win for both of you. It would provide you with peace of mind and help resell value. And if GM fixes it right they might not have to spend another penny fixing it again.

Last edited:
I know some people were asking "who" was the engine builder. If lets say 2000 5BW engines were made and there are only 20 engine builders and the malfunctions are occurring on mostly one builders ......they need to investigate what that builder is doing that may be the cause . Parts can fail. But engineers usually can find the issue.

I was a little nervous to open my hood the first time for the builder reveal, but thankfully it wasn't @Throat Yogurt girlfriend. At the same time I'm a little skeptical of guys with two first names, but I trust that Anthony Terry does good work.

Registry reference here, scroll down for the current list. Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing Registry

I know some people were asking "who" was the engine builder. If lets say 2000 5BW engines were made and there are only 20 engine builders and the malfunctions are occurring on mostly one builders ......they need to investigate what that builder is doing that may be the cause . Parts can fail. But engineers usually can find the issue.
But what if said builder is working from a pile of parts, lets say pistons, from the same lot to go towards multiple engines. The piston manufacturer was running OOS for the day. QC was asleep during the run and now 20 cars have the same lot of pistons run OOS. How would that be the builders fault? I doubt the builders get the complete specs of every part and verify them in their entirety before going into the build.

If the faulty parts are being distributed to ALL the builders , then it will show failures at each station. If just ONE builder is having the MAJORITY of failures, then there is a problem with that builder. Part failures are traced back to the manufacturer.....if the part fails because , let's say, improper installation, then that is on the builder.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back