Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

SC Intercooler outlet line broke

Neveready

Seasoned Member
1640 miles and I got a CEL with a "Reduced Power, drive with care". Coolant all over the engine bay. I'm not sure how serious this or if it caused any damage since I only drove it for another few mins till I could pull off the road. Time for a tow.
20221017_161043.jpg

Dropped it off and parked it next to a friend... Anyone here who owns this SM with CF1&2 in a 10A at the Thousand Oaks dealer?
20221017_203538.jpg

I've never had a coolant leak this bad, but does anyone know if this could have caused any damage?
I'm wondering if this issue would prematurely wear anything?

Why does it look like a cap right next to the connection that failed?

I think that cap covers the Charge Air Cooler fill port. It must have blown off along with breaking the pipe. What could have caused that much pressure is what I'm concerned about.
I haven't even floored it or pushed it past 5500 rpm.
Why does it look like a cap right next to the connection that failed?

I've been easing into it, kinda glad I didn't take it to the track or this would have been a lot worse a day.
Obviously they don't have a 1500 breakin to avoid this. But at least they now cannot turn around to you and say you flogged it - ofc this still shouldn't happen, but ya no way on you.

Folks, I got my car back last night and here was the culprit... Fitting - GM (84318275). Same $67 part found in the V3. 🤦🏻

This particular replacement part has a white USA sticker on it.

They pressure tested it and they didn't find any other damage, they said it was just a weak part. I only drove it for 40 mi and it seems ok. Glad to have it back. I asked them to wash the engine bay but the car reeks of coolant. I'm going to try and clean it myself with a brush but there's no way I can get to it all. Hopefully this bump in the road is where the story ends.

1666711644875.png

Well at least it was an easy diagnosis and fix.

Hopefully cleaning up the coolant isn't so bad.

I lucked out, it could have been much much worse.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the dried coolant off of aluminum and parts of the engine bay?

I posted a separate thread but any suggestions would be appreciated.

I lucked out, it could have been much much worse.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the dried coolant off of aluminum and parts of the engine bay?

I posted a separate thread but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Start by washing off with gental pressure from a hose, then apply soap from a spray bottle, let it sit for a while. Then start and warm the engine and rise off. The coolant should wash off with ease.

I just got the same CEL while on highway.

Called OnStar; they emailed me this:

Screenshot_20240416_152610_Outlook.jpg

Car smells like coolant a bit when idling, but no visible leaks, coolant temp normal, no misfire, all else ok. 2024 CT5BW w/5,500 miles.

Dealer looked at car today.

They are saying it's an intercooler leak; however, a replacement is 'unavailable'....

Anyone have any ideas where I could source one? I'll put up the part number as soon as I receive it.

I don't wanna be stuck in a Kia Sorrento rental for two months...

Last edited:
I remember the days when cars had clamps on all of the water lines. I never had a coolant problem.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back