Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V Custom Exhaust Finally Done !!

CT5-V Model

CBH

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
'23 CT5 Blackwing w/ Clutch
I've had several remarks in various threads, so thought I'd create a new one to bring them together.

I found the absolute last shop in town that would touch my car, and today they finally did the work. They replaced stock muffler with a MagnaFlow that has a built-in cut-out on each side of the car. It's a much smaller version of essentially what we have stock. For those in Austin, it was Meineke muffler on 183 at McNeil.

Surprisingly, it's really not that much louder. The butterflies work perfectly, and quiet mode - despite mufflers being so tiny - is similar to stock. Loud - which is purportedly a straight pipe - is noticeably louder, but just enough to notice.

Deceleration pops are particularly nicer :)

Done for $750 (plus tax) out the door.

Recommendation - save your $$ and patience and ignore the ridiculously priced kits by the big names in aftermarket "performance" exhaust. Now that I know what this is like, I would have foregone the adjustability and made this SO much easier and likely cheaper. Straight pipes from the axle back are perfectly livable. It does not encroach on the stereo or conversation with a passenger.

The exhaust valve CEL did fire. We reset it, but it came on again on a short trip later. When I pulled the fuse it did the same thing, but then reset itself. I'll keep an eye on this...

Now I'm thinking about the Kooks for the full effect.....

1685739444643.png

1685739467714.png

1685739487177.png

Nice work!

Looks good can’t wait to hear it

Just to be clear, you were able to keep the valves? And they only charged you $750? If I could find a place to do this in houston for that price I’d be all over it.

Yes - they retained stock tips with the valves.

The guy even admitted to me that since they were open when he cut the tips, he accidentally removed a sliver of the valves/blades themselves. It must have been very small though.

I'll report back what the CEL does. Since they function normally, I expect it to go away just like it did after pulling the exhaust valve fuse.

Phone videos + computer/phone speakers are kinda worthless for exhaust sounds, but here goes a cold start in quiet and loud mode.

PS - videos work fine at home, and appeared to upload correctly, but after posting, I only get audio. ???

Sounds great! Much throatier. Where’d you get this done in texas?

Edit: nvm just re-read the first post. Need to find a shop to do it for me under $1k in houston. Only got one quote for $4-6k, good shop but that’s exorbitant.

PS - videos work fine at home, and appeared to upload correctly, but after posting, I only get audio. ???
they work for me as well

Looks like they did nice work! Congrats!

Thanks. The first person that did this also has a thread here for a pure muffler delete on his 4BW from a shop in Dallas. Cost him $500. Considering that, plus my addition of 2 mufflers, I thought $750 was right on.

I have no idea what the quote for $6K entails, but its definitely not possible to expend that much effort/cost on this type of job.

Treat yourself to a little vacation in the Hill Country with all the $$$ you'll save. :)

The blasted CEL is still on though. Makes no sense............

CEL went out, but then I changed modes, activating the valves, and its back on. :(

I'll contact the shop next week and see what they can do.

The steering wheel hides the actual CEL, but I'm pretty sure it will automatically fail smog tests by just being on.

It sounds louder for sure, but the idle sounds kind of lumpy. Someone really needs to start making exhaust systems for our Blackwings.

CEL went out, but then I changed modes, activating the valves, and its back on. :(

I'll contact the shop next week and see what they can do.

The steering wheel hides the actual CEL, but I'm pretty sure it will automatically fail smog tests by just being on.
What CEL does this throw?

Believe it or not there is a specific code for the exhaust valves. That's the cruel irony. It'll make me fail a smog test even though there is zero impact to performance or emissions. There is no logical reason for the muffler valves to have a code.

Believe it or not there is a specific code for the exhaust valves. That's the cruel irony. It'll make me fail a smog test even though there is zero impact to performance or emissions. There is no logical reason for the muffler valves to have a code.
and here i am catless headers with no code. Is there no fuse to keep them stuck open like in older vettes?

There is - and it also sets the same CEL !!

Today the car effectively has straight pipes, other than the cats, yet in loud mode you can easily converse with passengers. You can always hear it, but just enough to realize its there.

So I don't regret it. Nothing could be loud enough for me though. F1 from 2012 might be a little much for the neighborhood though. :)

CEL is still on. Ironically it is hidden by the steering wheel so I rarely notice it.

I will likely get headers and a tune to eliminate CEL and gain back throttle response that RevMatch reminds me has been stolen. Keeping the valves gives me the option to tone it back down a bit if the headers are really that much louder........I think. :)

I'm not in a hurry for that though. New car inspection is good for 2 years (one more for me) in Texas, so I have another year for that. I'm not principally opposed to just letting registration slide for a while either. I already got the custom plate I want. :)

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back