Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT4v Blackwing Custom Cat Back Exhaust? Anyone done anything Custom? Results?

Drone is the loud resonance you have to physically yell over (or turn up radio volume) while cruising at a constant speed/RPM - typically highway speeds

Years back, I threw some Magnaflow dual-in dual-out custom mufflers on a CTS coupe with a LFX and it sounded terrific on throttle, but was unbearable at highway speeds. I kept it anyways, but highway trips over 45 minutes were a direct request for a migraine. This is my only apprehension in custom solutions on the 4BW -- similar v6 note might drone in a similar way/RPM range
Wonder if replacing them with vibrant mufflers would limit drone while increasing volume.

Drone is the loud resonance you have to physically yell over (or turn up radio volume) while cruising at a constant speed/RPM - typically highway speeds

Years back, I threw some Magnaflow dual-in dual-out custom mufflers on a CTS coupe with a LFX and it sounded terrific on throttle, but was unbearable at highway speeds. I kept it anyways, but highway trips over 45 minutes were a direct request for a migraine. This is my only apprehension in custom solutions on the 4BW -- similar v6 note might drone in a similar way/RPM range
I say this as having owned a couple turbo cars over the years in that turbo cars USUALLY don't get that dreaded drone since the turbos are acting like a very restrictive muffler in the first place. A muffler delete on an NA car sounds WAY different than on a turbo car.

I say this as having owned a couple turbo cars over the years in that turbo cars USUALLY don't get that dreaded drone since the turbos are acting like a very restrictive muffler in the first place. A muffler delete on an NA car sounds WAY different than on a turbo car.

this is awesome information -- sounds like its worth testing out

All in all I'm stoked with it. I would say at a very certain small range in the revs there is a bit of drone briefly but its well under normal rev range for freeway driving. If the roads were drier you probably wouldnt notice it because of how fast you would go through that rev range. The phone mic doesn't do it justice though its not a big difference to the ear vs the mic. In track mode it sounds it's sweetest and holy cow there are alot more pops and bangs at a slightly higher db levels. Car sounds as mean as I think it should now!

All in all I'm stoked with it. I would say at a very certain small range in the revs there is a bit of drone briefly but its well under normal rev range for freeway driving. If the roads were drier you probably wouldnt notice it because of how fast you would go through that rev range. The phone mic doesn't do it justice though its not a big difference to the ear vs the mic. In track mode it sounds it's sweetest and holy cow there are alot more pops and bangs at a slightly higher db levels. Car sounds as mean as I think it should now!
Wow that sounds fricking amazing!!!! Thank You so much for taking the time to do this 😊👍

I would think that most aftermarket exhaust is going to drone unless it has Helmholtz resonators.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back