Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CTV 5 oil question

There has been so much oil talk on this forum and I cant retain any of it...... Me: goes to dealer has oil changed... Me: I did confirm they are using the correct oil.... Me: :)

I ask because my local GM dealer lost their Cadillac franchise but they still service Caddies and plenty of C8’s. If the oil is the same then I know they will have it in stock and there is less of a chance for a screw up.

Thanks, read all the before. My question was does the C8 require the same oil as the BW 5?

This. That Dexos2 0W-40 ESP formula is now re-branded as Mobil 1 0W-40 Supercar with a DexosR rating.
Flawless! I think I got it now.

This. That Dexos2 0W-40 ESP formula is now re-branded as Mobil 1 0W-40 Supercar with a DexosR rating.
GM Exec: We need to make these BW and C8 owners feel better about paying ADMs since our plans to prevent dealers from charging ADMs are pretty much complete crap.

GM Marketing: Hey, I know. Let's rebrand the oil and call it "Supercar".

Speaking of ADMs and supercars, this dealer is about 20 miles from me. If interested, I'd be happy to check the car out for you. 😄

GM Exec: We need to make these BW and C8 owners feel better about paying ADMs since our plans to prevent dealers from charging ADMs are pretty much complete crap.

GM Marketing: Hey, I know. Let's rebrand the oil and call it "Supercar".

Speaking of ADMs and supercars, this dealer is about 20 miles from me. If interested, I'd be happy to check the car out for you. 😄

This thread is so relevant, but some of you may be aware of the epic power Walmart has over their vendors. I know for a fact that they tell the vendors what they'll pay for a product. Typically the vendor would cut down the quality of the product in order to make a profit and still abide by Walmart's prices.

It made me think about the Mobil 1 oil I get for my other cars and made me ponder about the quality.

I do run Blackstone analysis consistently on 2 different cars and there's no way the full syn Mobil 1 oil is good for 10k miles. Anyone have any insight on this topic?

This thread is so relevant, but some of you may be aware of the epic power Walmart has over their vendors. I know for a fact that they tell the vendors what they'll pay for a product. Typically the vendor would cut down the quality of the product in order to make a profit and still abide by Walmart's prices.

It made me think about the Mobil 1 oil I get for my other cars and made me ponder about the quality.

I do run Blackstone analysis consistently on 2 different cars and there's no way the full syn Mobil 1 oil is good for 10k miles. Anyone have any insight on this topic?
I Blackstone every oil change on all 4 of our vehicles and I have for 15+ years.

On a daily (daughters 2018 Accord), the Mobil is perfectly fine with 10k changes.

In my 'fun' car, I change based on hours run, not miles driven. But even then, every report says I could have run the Mobil 1 longer.

I think the Walmart purchasing strategy is a true story, but I'm confident Mobil 1 is Mobil 1 regardless of where purchased. The Walmart leverage shows up in textiles, electronics, appliances and other goods that already have quality tiers built into their manufacturing model.

Funny thing is the 'Supercar' label seems to add $1-$2/quart in cost for some reason over the previous branding. Must be some REALLY good labels that add horsepower!

Screenshot_20221118_141547_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

I daily drove this car from 2016 to 2020. I also tracked it in 2016 and autocrossed and spirited driving throughout the rest of the time. I did go over a year on some of the changes and the viscosity is in good range but I don't think it would hold out any longer than 16 months. Maybe if I was able to get 10k mi in year it would be able to hold. I have only bought my oil from Walmart on this vehicle so I have no basis. Either way it works for my mi and duration.

I was pleasantly surprised they said I could run longer with E85. I was always under the impression that E85 was pretty bad at diluting oil.

Attachments

• 17 LT1-201002.png
    17 LT1-201002.png
    242.5 KB · Views: 53
PSA - those 5BW owners who didn't read their owner's manual, it says not to run E85. In fact, it's even called a "Prohibited Fuel". 🛑

1668951446704.png

View attachment 14532
I daily drove this car from 2016 to 2020. I also tracked it in 2016 and autocrossed and spirited driving throughout the rest of the time. I did go over a year on some of the changes and the viscosity is in good range but I don't think it would hold out any longer than 16 months. Maybe if I was able to get 10k mi in year it would be able to hold. I have only bought my oil from Walmart on this vehicle so I have no basis. Either way it works for my mi and duration.
Why does the top of the spec sheet say 0/40wt and then the first sentence of the report say 0/20wt?

Why does the top of the spec sheet say 0/40wt and then the first sentence of the report say 0/20wt?
I have no idea. I questioned that myself. I think it's a Typo

I was pleasantly surprised they said I could run longer with E85. I was always under the impression that E85 was pretty bad at diluting oil.
Those numbers look PDG. Are you running an E85 tune?

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back