Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Changing oil from 5-30 to Supercar 0-40?

Jim2000

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT4-Blackwing
There appears to be a discussion on Goggle about changing our recommended oil of 5-30 to Mobil 1 Supercar formula 0-40 on the CT4 V Blackwing. I read where a person at the V Academy heard that this was a GM recommendation. I called Cadillac Customer Service and they did not confirm this. I wonder if changing to the Supercar formula would put people in limbo if they had a claim on the engine with warranty if they were using the Supercar formula? Would GM then not warranty the engine? I can't seem to find this in a GM or Cadillac publication. Of course, the dealers don't know anything, which isn't unusual.

During the tech talk at spring mountain, the PowerPoint stated that the 4BW used super car 0W-40. I asked the instructor if that was correct and he said yes, when tracking the car. I’m not sure I buy it since there is no mention of that in the owners manual.

I stick with what the OM recommends. Shade tree "logic" is in every corner of the internet and garages around the country. It's just noise until the manufacturer endorses it, to me at least.

Theres an ocean of great 5w-30 to choose from and only one 0w-40SC so Id have to see something a bit more compelling than a powerpoint slide to switch.

I'm trying to remember....I believe my Camaro 1LE required 0w40 for street driving and 20w60 for track. If you were on the track and had an engine failure and didn't have 20w60 (or maybe vice versa), GM would NOT warranty your engine. I did do a quick search and there were quite a few articles stating that GM now recommends 0w40.

I'm trying to remember....I believe my Camaro 1LE required 0w40 for street driving and 20w60 for track. If you were on the track and had an engine failure and didn't have 20w60 (or maybe vice versa), GM would NOT warranty your engine. I did do a quick search and there were quite a few articles stating that GM now recommends 0w40.
This is interesting because the Customer Service Line and our local dealers do not have that information about recommending the 0-40. We really don't know what our local dealers are putting in the car. The service receipt can state one type of oil and there are dealers who will put in the cheapest oil they can find. Moral of the story, do oil changes yourself. However, at my age, I am tiring of getting on the garage floor. Another option is to find a local shop that I trust.

However, at my age, I am tiring of getting on the garage floor. Another option is to find a local shop that I trust.
I still do all my own oil changes on all my cars . But a local shop high performance shop is a good option and bring your own oil and filter. One thing I like about doing it myself is I get to look around under the car for any issues. Some shops will allow you to do that.

There seems to be a lot of confusion on 4BW oil, I think because most attention is really on the 5BW. Anytime you see reference to the Supercar 0W-40, you should assume its in reference to the 5BW only.

This is interesting because the Customer Service Line and our local dealers do not have that information about recommending the 0-40. We really don't know what our local dealers are putting in the car. The service receipt can state one type of oil and there are dealers who will put in the cheapest oil they can find. Moral of the story, do oil changes yourself. However, at my age, I am tiring of getting on the garage floor. Another option is to find a local shop that I trust.
Don't confuse the V8s, (LT1, LT2, LT4 and LT6) with the 4BW LF4 V6. Until you see a published bulletin for the LF4 I would stick to the 5w30 Dexos1 oil. One of the perks is it is inexpensive. 5qt jugs at Walmart for $25. :)

15w-50 if you had a ZL1 or ZLE.

One of the purposes of the dexosR spec is a unified oil for street/track across the LTx line.

15w-50 if you had a ZL1 or ZLE.

One of the purposes of the dexosR spec is a unified oil for street/track across the LTx line.
It’s my understanding that 15W-50 was ZLE only for the track. ZL1s could run 0W-40 for both street and track.

I still do all my own oil changes on all my cars . But a local shop high performance shop is a good option and bring your own oil and filter. One thing I like about doing it myself is I get to look around under the car for any issues. Some shops will allow you to do that.
My Atlanta IMSA BW4 has so many aerodynamic aids and side carbon fiber that to me jacking it up is pretty much a non starter despite me doing all my oil changes for the past 60 yrs. Ramps probably a no go too because of the large and low chin splitter. I also have a 2022 Kia Stinger GT1 that I really like. Letting the dealer do that also. Oil filter isn't the usual spin on cannister, somewhat funky.

The only time I tried a local shop was about 3 yrs ago and they did NOT want you bringing you own oil, they want the big markup on the synthetic to bloat the bill. Don

Last edited:
My Atlanta IMSA BW4 has so many aerodynamic aids and side carbon fiber that to me jacking it up is pretty much a non starter despite me doing all my oil changes for the past 60 yrs. Ramps probably a no go too because of the large and low chin splitter. I also have a 2022 Kia Stinger GT1 that I really like. Letting the dealer do that also. Oil filter isn't the usual spin on cannister, somewhat funky.

The only time I tried a local shop was about 3 yrs ago and they did NOT want you bringing you own oil, they want the big markup on the synthetic to bloat the bill. Don
I’ve had many cars that have had “aerodynamic aids” and have always figured a way out to get them safely jacked up for fluid changes. There are solutions, you just don’t want to do them.

I’ve had many cars that have had “aerodynamic aids” and have always figured a way out to get them safely jacked up for fluid changes. There are solutions, you just don’t want to do them.
Dont bother with him, hes already had more than enough help with his delusional perception of routine maintenance, including part numbers for ramps that work, and prefers to lament over and over how his IMSA 4 cant possible be serviced by mere mortals.

Always smart ass comments. I'll bet the cars you're referring to weren't as low as my Blackwing. If I lay down in front of the car I still can hardly see a thing.

Do you have one of the special editions like mine? If you don't you have no basis for your remarks.

I'm not going to lift and get under the car with jacks on the pinch welds. Very unsafe. Don

Always smart ass comments. I'll bet the cars you're referring to weren't as low as my Blackwing. If I lay down in front of the car I still can hardly see a thing.

Do you have one of the special editions like mine? If you don't you have no basis for your remarks.

I'm not going to lift and get under the car with jacks on the pinch welds. Very unsafe. Don
For the love of G_d, the Track Editions are no lower than and don’t have any aero than is available on the non Track Editions. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Yes, I’ve had many cars as low and lower than my 4V BW. It’s not smart ass, it’s called reality. If you don’t want to do it or spend the money to get the right tools/equipment then that’s fine. But don’t act like it’s impossible, BWs aren’t even really that low and nor do the special editions have that crazy of aero/ground effects.

Oh and @DonD, valved exhausts aren’t new either…………now that is kind of smart assy.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back