Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Car won't go into reverse or drive

Jim2000

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT4-Blackwing
My 4 Blackwing won't engage in reverse or drive. The light comes on in reverse and in drive and as I push on the accelerator, the engine just revs. The parking brake is off and there is nothing in the back or front that would hinder the car from moving. Any ideas?

Did you check the tranny fluid?

Problem 1, obviously, should have got the manual. ok, done chastising, for now.

Will Neutral allow you to move the car (verify clearance, open door, use left foot to move the car a few inches)?
If so, tow that bitch in. If not, still thinking......

I read something one time about the connector with the auto stick not being properly fastened/connected. Hopefully, you have service people with knowledge and luck to diagnose and not damage.

Not specific to Cadillac, but in my experience this is often a simple solenoid (also check your fuse block in the manual to see if there is a specific fuse to test.)

Not specific to Cadillac, but in my experience this is often a simple solenoid (also check your fuse block in the manual to see if there is a specific fuse to test.)
I am thinking the same thing. This is a transmission used on a bunch of cars and has been available for years. I have never had this happen in any of my cars of various makes and models. When this happens, you are stuck. Fortunately this happened in my garage.

Will Neutral allow you to move the car (verify clearance, open door, use left foot to move the car a few inches)?

I read something one time about the connector with the auto stick not being properly fastened/connected. Hopefully, you have service people with knowledge and luck to diagnose and not damage.
I will try moving the car by foot in neutral. We shall see.

Heard sometimes if u wash the car and let the car sit, the pads rust into rotor on the BW. Someone mentioned to always drive ur car around a bit to get excess water off the brakes after wash to prevent this. The neutral test would check this.

Heard sometimes if u wash the car and let the car sit, the pads rust into rotor on the BW. Someone mentioned to always drive ur car around a bit to get excess water off the brakes after wash to prevent this. The neutral test would check this.
I would agree, however, I always drive it around the block after washing. When you drive it in the rain, wouldn't it do the same thing? I have not washed this car in a week or so.

After putting the car in neutral, the car still won't move. I am wondering if the parking break is not releasing. In reverse, my rear tires want to move, so I am not sure this is a transmission issue. The parking break light is on and then I hit it, and the light goes off, but the car won't move in gear. Weird.

You might try disabling the parking alert/auto braking just in case it somehow is that system causing the brake to be applied.

You might try disabling the parking alert/auto braking just in case it somehow is that system causing the brake to be applied.
I think I did that. Go to settings, go to vehicle, go to collision and turn off all of the tech nannies. Did it. The car still won't go. Cadillac dealer indicated it might need to be reprogrammed. I hate tech.

Pads have been known to "freeze" to the rotors, causing a sticking to occur. If you are clear in front of your vehicle, put it in drive and give it the partial beans to unstick. Usually, this isn't more than 2500 rev though. Seems like you may have tried that in D and R already.

Try paddle shifting to 1, see if the Transmission takes that switch.

Otherwise, need to figure out how to get it in Neutral to get it towed.

Does the Cadillac App show any issues?

Don’t pick on auto till you’ve driven one in a BW!

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back