Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

RS3 Test Drive

emdough

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT4-V BW MT
Got to test drive the Audi today and being as it's a car often cross shopped and a direct competitor to the BW4 wanted to offer my impressions. Surprisingly about the same amount of room on the inside. The interior tech and quality is typical Audi, but didn't make as much difference as I expected. I'd say the execution is better on the Audi with less chrome and lack of the typical GM bargain bin bits in random places.

The Audi makes better use of space, has a higher quality interior, an incredible motor, and better tech. Can't rave enough about that 5 cylinder and the sound. Would say that's the biggest plus over the BW. The AWD traction makes the car easier to drive with reckless abandon. It is and feels way faster. You can toss it into a corner and the back end will break loose with the power pulling you out. It's hilarious to drive fast and almost manic in nature. Down side is the transmission is not very responsive unless paddle shifting. Even in RS mode, feels like there is a slight delay or hesitation when stepping on the gas. Not the case when shifting yourself, but can't match the manual in that regard. Can definitely tell there is a lot going on to help keep the driver on the road.

Getting back into the BW I felt the interior wasn't a let down. The BW feels very driver focused with everything where it should be and nothing missing. Right away, the slick manual reminds me why it's so great. The ride compliance is better and it feels more planted...be it the longer wheel base, Magride, or added weight. The chassis, manual, and all the inputs make this car feel "right". Right away I preferred the way the BW drives. Everything works together to where nothing stand out as awkward, forced, or faked. It's more settled and refined. Can't push the BW like the RS3 without the back end stepping out or getting into some real trouble. That being said, the BW is just a better car overall in how everything works together to give you a cohesive experience. Just feels right and more fun when not going all out.

Both cars are just incredible. Makes me appreciate how great the BW really is even without that 5 cylinder under the hood.

Great cars, it's a shame Audi can't seem to get their production volume up. Friend has had an order in for a year with no production in sight.

That 5 cylinder DAZA engine makes such glorious noises. Also the power they make with a tune is simply ludicrous.

I don't view that the RS3 is even in the same discussion as a 4VBW. I owned a 2019 RS3 for a while and although its a nice car and the 5 Cylinder Turbo is very peppy, its just not anywhere near the car that my 4VBW is. The BW would eat that car up all week long and twice on Sundays !

The DSG or STronic trans delay is because it’s a dual clutch transmission. It basically operates as an electronically assisted manual…so when you stomp on it, it has to downshift each gear unlike a modern sport automatic which chooses the optimal gear for that speed.

While the RS3 is AWD, it’s still a FWD biased platform. I love the RS3 and Audi (I’ve owned plenty) but I prefer the BW. Make no mistake though, an RS3 with a tune and downpipe is easily a 10 sec car…they’re beasts and very easy to mod.

The mag-ride and alpha2 chassis as of now are superior to what the Germans are pumping out and it's hard to comprehend it untill you drive them back to back.

A lot of passion was invested in the Blackwings and you feel it !

I don't view that the RS3 is even in the same discussion as a 4VBW. I owned a 2019 RS3 for a while and although it’s a nice car and the 5 Cylinder Turbo is very peppy, it’s just not anywhere near the car that my 4VBW is. The BW would eat that car up all week long and twice on Sundays !
The updated AWD system has made a huge difference in how it corners apparently. I do prefer the BW but it is not faster on the street. On the track could be a different story.

The DSG or STronic trans delay is because it’s a dual clutch transmission. It basically operates as an electronically assisted manual…so when you stomp on it, it has to downshift each gear unlike a modern sport automatic which chooses the optimal gear for that speed.

While the RS3 is AWD, it’s still a FWD biased platform. I love the RS3 and Audi (I’ve owned plenty) but I prefer the BW. Make no mistake though, an RS3 with a tune and downpipe is easily a 10 sec car…they’re beasts and very easy to mod.
That was by far the biggest flaw to me. Wonder if the Porsche PDK has the same issue.

The mag-ride and alpha2 chassis as of now are superior to what the Germans are pumping out and it's hard to comprehend it untill you drive them back to back.

A lot of passion was invested in the Blackwings and you feel it !
Definitely preferred the more refined and planted ride on the BW and the MT is amazing. It’s the sum of its parts that makes the BW so good.

The RS3 will be incredibly expensive to maintain and will not be as reliable. The steering on the RS3 is typical Audi, soft and disconnected. I would pick a M2 over the RS3, but of course my Blackwing beats both of them.

Audis have lost their way. Too much focus on luxury and lost sight of driving performance and fun. Numb steering and no more manuals have did them in for me. I had a B6 S4 that I really modded with APR tune and exhaust, Alcon brakes, Bilstein shocks and more. Great steering feel and fun. But I did not want to do the 10k engine timing service so I sold it. When they went to the B8 they started to lose their sportiness and fun. Oh well the BW makes up for it.

Definitely preferred the more refined and planted ride on the BW and the MT is amazing. It’s the sum of its parts that makes the BW so good.
That's just it! Audi goes for some outwardly German engineered persona and Americans eat that crap up. BW all of it together including Alpha II just owns it! Operational costs own it too!

I still have a B7 RS4…Audi’s pinnacle sedan with AWD and manual and V8…they have definitely lost their way in past decade.
I will look that one up maybe I just drink way to much GM performance kool-Aid?

I still have a B7 RS4…Audi’s pinnacle sedan with AWD and manual and V8…they have definitely lost their way in past decade.
hmm..kinda a cool a little 4door with V-8? looks pretty small though and the Audi has about the blandest body I have ever seen?

Yes I’d pick up a RS4 if I had space for one. I suppose I could store it at my house in Mn though. That was the last great RS sedan.

I wish the USA had the hatchback version. Then it would be a true (physical) replacement for a GTI. Or in my case, my wife's 2012 A3 TDI wagon.
Love the Sportback version. I think it’s available in Mexico and Canada but not here. Shame.

As a guy who has had 2, Porsche Caymans with the 2.5L, 4-cylinder--untuned in both cases, I was fine with the 'small displacement' formula. Both of those cars were (are) great, and had either of those been a factory-new car that I had been able to specify, I'd have one in my 'lifetime keeper' garage. The point is, I have had enough seat time to know I can get big smiles out of a 'quick' car. Hence, the Audi RS3 appealed to me.

Great observations by @emdough and it became a multi-factor (and easy) decision to avoid the RS3.
  • Transmission performance. (Yes, a Porsche PDK is 'telepathic'--and multiple reviewers plus @emdough's notes--I believe the Audi box would be disappointment.)
  • Needless complication in the menu structure / infotainment. (GM should be given MORE credit to what they have developed; since about 2017 the infotainment has been solid--and they have calmly evolved it to GREAT.)
  • It wants to be a FWD car. Not that I would always notice that when street driving--and maybe it's me not wanting AWD architecture.
  • When you see reviews that the rest-of-World gets a hatchback version of the RS3...the Audi sedan is frustrating. (Were the hatchback available here, I believe I would have given one a shot.)
So, everytime (which is not often) I hear an RS3--I'll lock onto it. But it doesn't hold more than 20-seconds of my attention.

Can't wait for my BW to arrive.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners