Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Blackwing Nightmare (long)

wolfpack

This happened a couple months ago, but it is a story I’ve been wanting to share. I was very excited to be a BW owner. I read all the reviews and got some track time with the BW that helped solidify how exciting these cars are. In early 2022, I put down deposits at three dealerships. Once I got an allocation from one dealer, I removed my name/deposit from the other dealerships. (Hindsight is 20/20… ;)

My 2023 CT-5 BW was accepted in October and built in December of 2022. Here is where the story goes downhill. It took almost 11 months for the car to arrive from the goat pen. When I went to view the car, unfortunately it was damaged.

The driver door was not installed correctly. It seemed someone had tried to fix it (quality control?) but made it worse. It looked like the paint was still soft when someone tried to address the door alignment and they nicked the driver door and passenger rear door causing the paint to be removed. The door was still not properly aligned after this attempt. At this stage, I was bummed because I had waited a long time. I was clear with the dealership that I was still interested in the car but was not happy about a brand-new car being in this condition. The dealership felt the best course of action was for me to call GM customer service.

I reached out to GM customer service and my case later went to GM executive review. Meanwhile, I called some body shops to get an idea of what a repair would involve. Basically, the car would need a repaint of the two doors. The other option was to try touch up paint and polish, but I was told the defect might still be noticeable. At this point, I felt there were two options for GM to address this issue: 1. Repair the car, or 2. Offer me another allocation. I shared this with GM exec review with the hope they could remedy the situation. I talked to two individuals during this time, and both were telling me different things on what could be done. For example, one person said they could get me another allocation and the other said this was not possible.

GM executive review agreed that car needed to be fixed first and I was able to negotiate a body shop of my choice. They also told me during this process that the dealership cannot sell the car on me. The body shop was close to the dealership and is known for excellent work. I told the dealership that the car was approved to be sent over to the body shop and the executive team told them as well. At this stage, I was under the impression the car was being fixed. I was told it would take 10 business days.

Around the 10 business day mark, I called my salesperson to see if the car was back so I could see it. He told me the car was sold during this time. I was surprised and upset that no one had told me they were selling the car. He told me that GM exec review offered the dealership another allocation hence they put the car up for sale. When GM exec review called me, I told them the car was sold and they claimed they were not aware of this. Furthermore, GM exec said they cannot offer me or the dealership an allocation. They felt since I am first on the dealer’s “list”, I should be able to order another one in the future. At this point, exec review felt there was nothing more they could do, and they closed the case.

The only reason I am first on the list with this dealership is that I had put my name down for another CT-5 BW before my 2023 arrived. (My plan before all of this happened was to purchase a 2025.) As many know on here, being on the “list” does not guarantee an allocation, plus the issue with constraints. The manager had told me a few months ago they will NOT receive any 2024 allocations and that this year would be a short build year. I am assuming they will get a 2025 CT5 BW, but this is not a guarantee. If I could order from the Blackwing King I would, but getting one in Canada is more challenging than in the U.S. Furthermore, I am not keen on working with this dealership anymore but feel stuck since I am first on their list.

I feel like this whole process has been a mess, and that there have been many failures from quality control to logistics to the dealership, etc. If the car had not arrived damaged, I would be enjoying it right now. I do feel GM needs to step up here to make this right.

I am reaching out to see if anyone has any contacts with higher-ups in GM or within GM Canada. At the moment, the contact info for the Canadian leadership team does not appear to be publicly available. I know there are some on here who work for GM and maybe you have some thoughts (feel free to PM me).

Basically, I would still like to order another CT-5 BW but with no drama next time. Thanks for reading if you made it this far (this was the Coles note version :).

Wow, what a bummer, really sorry to hear. Unfortunately, this sounds like one of those injustices you just have to deal with. it's the dealer's fault (not GMs) that the car got sold behind your back. Sure, that's shitty the car arrived like that but sounds like GM did the right thing on their part to have it fixed.

I'd try getting on other dealers lists, searching the GM site, or buying a used one. I would NEVER deal with that dealer again. I'd also shame them online & give them bad Yelp reviews. GM doesn't give allocations to individuals- if you want an opprtunity to build, it will on;y come through a dealer.

I am sorry for your unfortunate experience. Your post emphasizes just how poor the customer service is in business today. A lot of businesses don't care about repeat customers. Also, this reminds me how unavailable these cars are which is a shame since these are wonderful cars.

Your post emphasizes just how poor the customer service is in business today. A lot of businesses don't care about repeat customers.
You are so right. Too many dealers are still practicing covid pandemic and chip shortage tactics. "Take it or leave it". This will some day come back and bite them in the arse.

Sorry to read this story. You sound super reasonable and patient, and it is unfair.

That said, it is better you did not take a brand new car with 2 repainted doors. At least for me, I never would have considered that a solution, unless it came with a stack of cash too. The long duration on shipment, that logistic seems much better now. My 5 took around 4-5 months from build completion to get to Sewell, and I was lucky the car was perfect.

I would keep looking for a dealer that has a 2024 allocation or an incoming unit that might be unsold. Many of us purists do not like nor want the refresh, but probably 90% of buyers will. So there should be some 24s available as production winds down.

Sorry to read this story. You sound super reasonable and patient, and it is unfair.

That said, it is better you did not take a brand new car with 2 repainted doors. At least for me, I never would have considered that a solution, unless it came with a stack of cash too. The long duration on shipment, that logistic seems much better now. My 5 took around 4-5 months from build completion to get to Sewell, and I was lucky the car was perfect.

I would keep looking for a dealer that has a 2024 allocation or an incoming unit that might be unsold. Many of us purists do not like nor want the refresh, but probably 90% of buyers will. So there should be some 24s available as production winds down.
Sadly, his being in Canada makes things much harder.

Sadly, his being in Canada makes things much harder.
I was thinking he at least has the 2 other dealers he originally contacted. Maybe one of them can help.

thats a shitty story, sorry man. are you that picky with the spec? have you looked on cadillac.com for dealer inventory, there's plenty of them on dealer lots available to drive home today at msrp

You are so right. Too many dealers are still practicing covid pandemic and chip shortage tactics. "Take it or leave it". This will some day come back and bite them in the arse.
It already has a negative effect. I remember the dealers who greatly marked up their cars and I won't do business with them. I have a long memory and I support dealers who are fair and I like being loyal to them. I won't be buying from the dealers in the Seattle area and one of the reasons was they marked up a 4BW 25k over MSRP. Needless to say, the car sat on their lot for a long time. Also, Seattle has a special tax on all cars which I don't want to pay.

If GM had more control over their dealer networks they would have the ability to find the right cars for their buyers or help re-purpose allocations to fill in buyer needs. On top of this dealers do what they want and make the buying experience less than ideal by taking allocations for their stock and asking ADM.

You would like to think if there was a buyer lined up they could get you in the car you want to get your money so you don't leave for a competing brand.

I know it can be a hassle importing a car, but perhaps in this case it may be worth it. FInd a car in the USA that meets your criteria and buy that, ship it/drive it home (you don't say where in Canada you are).

Anyway, I'm sad to read the story and sorry that you went through all of that, but for a $100K+ US you shouldn't have to compromise and accept a damaged car, so you're likely better off.

Option #2 is to buy a used BW from the states and import that one. The savings will easily pay for one of those services that takes care of all of the customs duties and whatnot. Assuming of course that you're OK with a used car.

Best of luck!

Very sorry to hear this. GM’s customer service is piss poor and I will be leaving the brand. My new Escalade V’s engine blew up and the brakes on my C8 seized. No help from GM. Down 2 vehicles currently that I paid $400,000 for. Alienating a repeat customer is beyond me.

Very sorry to hear this. GM’s customer service is piss poor and I will be leaving the brand. My new Escalade V’s engine blew up and the brakes on my C8 seized. No help from GM. Down 2 vehicles currently that I paid $400,000 for. Alienating a repeat customer is beyond me.
Would you go into more detail about the brakes seizing up on the C8. My Blackwing's brakes also seized up when it was parked in the garage for 5 days. The temperature in the garage was above freezing.

I washed it and parked it in my garage for 4 weeks. After the snow melted, I decided to take it for a drive. Wouldn’t move until I applied 20% throttle. Heard some loud bangs and pops. Shakes a lot when I brake now with constant clicking. Looks like pad material is stuck on the rotors. GM said to drive it and see if it goes away. Taking it back there in a week if it doesn’t. Feels like I’m driving a dump truck.
Would you go into more detail about the brakes seizing up on the C8. My Blackwing's brakes also seized up when it was parked in the garage for 5 days. The temperature in the garage was above freezing.

For the future, after washing the car, drive the car immediately for a few miles and then when storing the vehicle for a week or longer, don't use the parking brake. Of course, put a 2x4 behind the rear wheels assuming the garage drains toward the door and you are parking the nose inward.

I washed it and parked it in my garage for 4 weeks. After the snow melted, I decided to take it for a drive. Wouldn’t move until I applied 20% throttle. Heard some loud bangs and pops. Shakes a lot when I brake now with constant clicking. Looks like pad material is stuck on the rotors. GM said to drive it and see if it goes away. Taking it back there in a week if it doesn’t. Feels like I’m driving a dump truck.
My brakes do that as well after it sits for a few days, or if it rains, or really if there's any moisture around. The pads get stuck to the rotors, you power through it and they pop off. Sometimes there's some pad material left, but it wears off after a few minutes of normal driving. My old f150 used to have a similar issue, but less often.

Im thinking if you were to replace the pads with some that are less aggressive it might make this less of an issue, but I haven't felt it's a big enough issue to try it yet.

I have had a lot of performance sports cars and this is the only car that I have had problems with the brakes. I had vibration issues my ATS-V. The Brembo pads are likely the problem. The other factor is the rotors of course. The replacement rotors on German cars are made in Europe and are high quality. I question the quality of our OEM Cadillac replacement rotors.

Regarding the brakes ..... Another possible item, albeit small, to include in the "yes" column when considering CCBs?

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back