Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Cadillac Smart Driver and Privacy Concerns

Throat Yogurt

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2022 CT4-V Blackwing N0460548
First off, let me state that I am the farthest thing from a tinfoil hat/conspiracy theorist..I am an engineer with two feet firmly planted in reality. But this recently popped up on one of the Blackwing Facebook groups and it stopped me in my tracks. Here is the quote:

Ok so i’ve got a question on privacy issues from the My Cadillac app/vehicle gps.
So I ran a “LexisNexis” report on myself to review a personal insurance claim and in addition to listing many details about me, i have 867 records listed (thanks to GM…my only GM vehicle) in regards to either “high speed events, acceleration events or hard brake events”. I’ve had my 4bw since late July 2023. It doesn’t detail out specifically how i drove but it says which of these items the car did along with date and time. Insurance carriers review this stuff i believe.
From what i recall, i opted out of the onstar smart driver option and thought it might be a bit too intrusive when i acquired the car. Clearly that didn’t matter
Has anyone else ran this report and thus found similiar information listed? Would deleting the app help eliminate these recordings or is there any other reasonable way to eliminate the details of the tracking at all?

1. Anyone have a LexisNexis account and can confirm this?
2. I know GM is collecting data, I'm fine with that. I am NOT fine with that data being publicly accessible. I am also NOT fine with them collecting data when (in the case of the FB poster) the person has opted out of that data collection.
3. If this turns out to be true, that GM is collecting personal data and making it publicly accessible, does anyone know a good class action attorney?

You can request your free LN report here: Order Your Report Online - LexisNexis Risk Solutions Consumer Disclosure

This isn't the only time I've read about GM/OnStar doing this shit. I opted out the day I bought my car. You can do so within the MyCadillac App -> Top right hand profile button (usually your initials) -> Settings -> OnStar Smart Driver -> uncheck the "Allow OnStar Smart Driver"

You can do so within the MyCadillac App -> Top right hand profile button (usually your initials) -> Settings -> OnStar Smart Driver -> uncheck the "Allow OnStar Smart Driver"
Just finished opting out. Thanks

Watching this one.

I don't have the MyCadillac App and don't know what the previous owner opted into in terms of OnStar. I'd love to know how to minimize my data footprint, though.

Watching this one.

I don't have the MyCadillac App and don't know what the previous owner opted into in terms of OnStar. I'd love to know how to minimize my data footprint, though.
That makes me wonder if your driving habits go on their record... 😂

Couldn’t find anything under my name on LexisNexis. Also verified that I am not enrolled in Smart Driver program as well.

Tracking rapid acceleration is fundamentally unamerican, unless you are timing it for improvement!!!

Watching this one.

I can't say for certain, but I think if you DON'T use the app and opt out, you're automatically IN. It's part of the OnStar program when you buy the car.

When I go to the MyCadillac App, it has information about my car like the VIN, etc but under OnStar it says “your vehicle is not connected to an OnStar account” does that mean I am good or does that mean I’m not good? If it defaults to recording data then I have no actual way to deactivate that without an OnStar account??

Long discussion over on Camaro6 forums about it:

Long and short log in and opt out if you have been opted in and not aware.

Quite a few posters there say the only way to be sure of privacy is to remove the OnStar module. It seems to be fairly easy to do on the Camaro, and it is reversible. OnStar (privacy issues and hacker susceptibility) was by far the biggest negative when deciding to try to purchase a BW, so I would like to do this when (if) I get my 4BW order filled. If someone finds specific instructions on removing the module for the 4BW, it would be great to have that information posted here.

(Yeah, yeah yeah - my phone is powered off when I drive. I have never turned on the audio system in any of my last three cars, I have a portable Garmin nav that I need anyways for my airplane, and there's no cell coverage on the mountain roads where I might have a single vehicle accident so OnStar provides nothing useful to me.)

Sure glad I got the information I needed to disable OnStar Smart Driver before this thread went to he!! in a hand basket.

Well, I submitted my records request to LexisNexis, let's see how this goes. The next step is to opt-out via LexisNexis.

You can also call them:

Submit Your Request by Phone
As a consumer, you can choose to submit your request via phone. To submit a request via one,call the phone number below to speak to a live operator:• 1-866-897-8126
Note: You can also submit and receive a request online via the following link:Order Your Report Online - LexisNexis Risk Solutions Consumer Disclosure.

Well, I submitted my records request to LexisNexis, let's see how this goes. The next step is to opt-out via LexisNexis.

You can also call them:

Submit Your Request by Phone
As a consumer, you can choose to submit your request via phone. To submit a request via one,call the phone number below to speak to a live operator:• 1-866-897-8126
Note: You can also submit and receive a request online via the following link:Order Your Report Online - LexisNexis Risk Solutions Consumer Disclosure.
This isn't good news :(

When I submitted my request to suppress the info it says this:

Please note that your information will remain in the following products and services: restricted public records products which are available to commercial and government entities that meet LexisNexis credentialing requirements and are used to detect and prevent fraud, enforce transactions, perform due diligence, and other critical business and government functions; products regulated by the Fair Credit Reporting Act; third party data available through real time gateways; news; and legal documents.

So it only partially works. Oh well. Better than nothing I guess.

It also said this, which REALLY sucks:
Opting out of LexisNexis products can limit your access to valuable consumer services such as online identity or insurance verification. If you experience difficulties with such a service and would like to opt in temporarily or permanently, please use the following link:

Long discussion over on Camaro6 forums about it:

Long and short log in and opt out if you have been opted in and not aware.
Yeah I read the whole thread chain and it appears the OP signed up for the onstar insurance thingy that literally says they will track your driving habits for insurance reasons and then got all mad when his driving habits where tracked for insurance reasons.

Reason # 3390320 to look at things before you click accept.

I know this won’t be a popular response with this crowd, but here are my thoughts no one asked for. I’ve given up on trying to keep everything private, with carrying a cell phone everywhere like most people do, privacy is a thing of a past. Even if you disable everything from OnStar they still have the data from the phone and the cars black box recording. Meaning if someone really wants the info, they are going to get it. No I don’t go advertising my SS number and I shred things with my address, but there is only so much you can do in todays so called modern world. Not too mention you are on more cameras everyday than you probably know with the explosion of the popularity of Ring like devices etc.

Every car manufacturer does it, I’ve had both my BMW and Porsche technicians tell me that when they hook up the car to a computer, the first thing it does is sends a ton of info back to the mother ship in Germany and they don’t see nor have any idea what it is. My Fords and current Nissan all do the same thing. Point being it is futile to resist. 😉

All that being said, I’ve had a ton of fun (probably way too much fun) in all of these brands of cars and I’m not going to stop in a GM made one. To date, my insurance rates havent gone up, no cop or government officials have showed up at my door. Sadly no black helicopters circling either as that would be kind of cool. Until that happens, I guess I’ll go on having fun with the cars I bought.

Am I sheep, am I ignorant etc etc, maybe, with so much to worry about in life this is way low on my list. So it is what it is.

I know this won’t be a popular response with this crowd, but here are my thoughts no one asked for. I’ve given up on trying to keep everything private, with carrying a cell phone everywhere like most people do, privacy is a thing of a past. Even if you disable everything from OnStar they still have the data from the phone and the cars black box recording. Meaning if someone really wants the info, they are going to get it. No I don’t go advertising my SS number and I shred things with my address, but there is only so much you can do in todays so called modern world. Not too mention you are on more cameras everyday than you probably know with the explosion of the popularity of Ring like devices etc.

Every car manufacturer does it, I’ve had both my BMW and Porsche technicians tell me that when they hook up the car to a computer, the first thing it does is sends a ton of info back to the mother ship in Germany and they don’t see nor have any idea what it is. My Fords and current Nissan all do the same thing. Point being it is futile to resist. 😉

All that being said, I’ve had a ton of fun (probably way too much fun) in all of these brands of cars and I’m not going to stop in a GM made one. To date, my insurance rates havent gone up, no cop or government officials have showed up at my door. Sadly no black helicopters circling either as that would be kind of cool. Until that happens, I guess I’ll go on having fun with the cars I bought.

Am I sheep, am I ignorant etc etc, maybe, with so much to worry about in life this is way low on my list. So it is what it is.
I completely understand your point of view. It takes a lot more work to "privatize" yourself than just letting it all hang out. For me it's a risk assessment. Are there more things I could be doing to protect myself? Absolutely. Am I comfortable with my level of anonymity/protection? Also yes. For me, the thing I truly only care about is that my credit is locked with all the credit bureaus and ONLY gets unlocked if I need someone to pull credit. For me, that is good enough for my daily life. If people can't ruin my credit or steal my identity, I sleep soundly.

To that point though, a simple "uncheck" within an app is totally on the table to possibly remove another attack vector. I already have the GM account, I might as well just ask it not to track me.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back