Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

New tire setup or tires for my ct4-v Blackwing for the track

Davidbdil

V-Series Cadillac(s)?
2023 CT4-V Blackwing
IMG_9583.jpeg
IMG_9591.jpeg
IMG_9587.jpeg

I recently just purchased a set of apex Vs5-RS in 19/9.5/et22 and 19/10.5/et44 and Toyo proxes sport summer tires. I took the car to the canyons on the first day of this setup and I feel as if the tires or tire setup is holding the car back from its factory performance in cornering ability’s. These new tires provide less feedback and grip on corners. To me it honestly felt a little floaty if that makes sense. Switching the weight balance from one corner to another didn’t feel great and is no where near as confidence inspiring as the OEM setup with swift lowering springs. Anyone have suggestions for a new setup to run with these 19inch wheels???

The wheels look great!

A few thoughts... first, what does this mean? "no where near as confidence inspiring as the OEM setup with swift lowering springs"

Did you also change the springs? If so, I think that explains some of your concerns.

Another thought: Our cars come with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, which are the best street legal tires you can buy. The proxes are good, but not even close to the PS4S. Not even.

The GM engineers know what they are doing. Sure, everything is a compromise, sometimes performance is sacrificed for comfort or reliability, but overall they've got the car set up the best it can be.

I agree with BimmerFan, you couldn't really ask for a better set up with the stock config, minus getting lighter wheels, which you have already done. I'd take the APEX wheels and throw the stock tires on them and call it a day.

Also, do theyse tires/wheels now stick our past the fender? Just wondering for when I order mine. Thanks

Another thought: Our cars come with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, which are the best street legal tires you can buy. The proxes are good, but not even close to the PS4S. Not even.

The GM engineers know what they are doing. Sure, everything is a compromise, sometimes performance is sacrificed for comfort or reliability, but overall they've got the car set up the best it can be.
To magnify this further, our PS4S tires are specifically designed for our cars and carry a softer compound than the standard PS4S.

View attachment 25260View attachment 25259View attachment 25261

I recently just purchased a set of apex Vs5-RS in 19/9.5/et22 and 19/10.5/et44 and Toyo proxes sport summer tires. I took the car to the canyons on the first day of this setup and I feel as if the tires or tire setup is holding the car back from its factory performance in cornering ability’s. These new tires provide less feedback and grip on corners. To me it honestly felt a little floaty if that makes sense. Switching the weight balance from one corner to another didn’t feel great and is no where near as confidence inspiring as the OEM setup with swift lowering springs. Anyone have suggestions for a new setup to run with these 19inch wheels???
GM put a lot of effort into incorporating Cup 2 polymer into the bespoke PS4s for the Blackwing only. I'd you're concerned with performance, there's no way I'd go with anything else. If you do go back to OEM, make sure you get the proper TPC spec tires, else your buying standard PS4s (not bad but not optimal for the Blackwing.)

I'm glad to see the fitment looks great. Are you experiencing any rubbing while turning?

I agree with BimmerFan, you couldn't really ask for a better set up with the stock config, minus getting lighter wheels, which you have already done. I'd take the APEX wheels and throw the stock tires on them and call it a day.

Also, do theyse tires/wheels now stick our past the fender? Just wondering for when I order mine. Thanks
It’s perfectly flush imo it’s dosent stick out at all and there’s no rubbing while running a 265/30 and 285/30

GM put a lot of effort into incorporating Cup 2 polymer into the bespoke PS4s for the Blackwing only. I'd you're concerned with performance, there's no way I'd go with anything else. If you do go back to OEM, make sure you get the proper TPC spec tires, else your buying standard PS4s (not bad but not optimal for the Blackwing.)
What’s TPC spec tires?

The wheels look great!

A few thoughts... first, what does this mean? "no where near as confidence inspiring as the OEM setup with swift lowering springs"

Did you also change the springs? If so, I think that explains some of your concerns.

I meant the OEM wheels and tires with the swift springs I had on. And I figured I should’ve gone with the PS4s again but I felt like experimenting and I was kind of on a budget so I tried out the proxes

What’s TPC spec tires?
There's literally a TPC stamp and code on the tires - different code for front and back given staggered sizes (on the 5BW, I assume 4BW also staggered.)

And I figured I should’ve gone with the PS4s again but I felt like experimenting and I was kind of on a budget so I tried out the proxes
As noted above, the PS4S tires are bespoke for our cars, but they are also very expensive.

If you are still on a budget, I've twice now bought Yokohama Adven 601 as a more reasonably priced tire that I use on the track (Corvette and Mustang). They are not as good as the Michelins, but the difference is only noticeable at 10/10ths at the extremes, something you will hopefully (should) never encounter on the street. I don't know if they come in BW sizes, but again, for budget people, I think they're worth investigating.

When it comes time to replace the tires on my BW, I'll likely go with A/S 4+ since mine is a DD that never sees the track.

Just wanted to say that is the best looking 4 I've seen yet. That stance is fire!

As noted above, the PS4S tires are bespoke for our cars, but they are also very expensive.

If you are still on a budget, I've twice now bought Yokohama Adven 601 as a more reasonably priced tire that I use on the track (Corvette and Mustang). They are not as good as the Michelins, but the difference is only noticeable at 10/10ths at the extremes, something you will hopefully (should) never encounter on the street. I don't know if they come in BW sizes, but again, for budget people, I think they're worth investigating.

When it comes time to replace the tires on my BW, I'll likely go with A/S 4+ since mine is a DD that never sees the track.
What do a set of Yokohamas run installed?

As others have stated it’s your tires. I have the Toyo Proxes Sport on my Miata and they are not a highly rated tire for performance driving. PS4S are much better. Understand you are on a budget but if you are concerned about performance tires is probably the last place you want to cut costs. Not sure what options come in the 19” wheel but if you can get the PS4S in that size they are hard to beat. BTW I have the same wheel and color combo as you just in the OEM 18” and threw the stock tire on. 19s look great!

Attachments

• 8738DFE4-78B3-4D2A-B08C-BEC1ABD3B40D.jpeg
    8738DFE4-78B3-4D2A-B08C-BEC1ABD3B40D.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 23
As others have said…it’s the tires.

It’s also your springs, but that’s a different conversation. You aren’t smarter than GM’s chassis engineers. They are some of the finest in the world.

As for the TPC PS4S, it’s not the same tire you would buy from Tire Rack or Costco. The outer bands are Cup2 material, the inner rib is PS4S.

You can absoutely can get grippier tires, but you would need to look for 200TW or less.

Here is a great video explaining the TPC (or *) program Michelin has.

It depends on your installer... the set I bought for the Corvette was around $1200 I believe, compared to $1800 for the Michelins.

My guy charges around $140 for installation.
Oh, that's more than I guessed. I just looked at the TPC spec Michelins at Costco and they're running around $1,300ish installed ($80 off sale) plus tax.

As others have said…it’s the tires.

It’s also your springs, but that’s a different conversation. You aren’t smarter than GM’s chassis engineers. They are some of the finest in the world.

As for the TPC PS4S, it’s not the same tire you would buy from Tire Rack or Costco. The outer bands are Cup2 material, the inner rib is PS4S.

You can absoutely can get grippier tires, but you would need to look for 200TW or less.

Here is a great video explaining the TPC (or *) program Michelin has.

To clarify I think you mean it's not the standard stock PS4s you get off the shelf at Costco or TireRack? Because you can order TPC spec at both last I heard (I regularly order them and keep extras in the garage from Costco.)

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back