Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

What made you choose a Blackwing and what else did you consider?

I spent a lot of time over the last 4 years researching what my next fun car would be that would compliment my cummuter/utility vehicle. Daily is a Subaru Forester XT and last fun car before the BW was a modified WRX.

In the running was M2, Supra, new Z, Audi RS3. Ultimately, I wanted something fun and capable but that wasn’t flashy and attracts too much attention. I wanted a practical sports car without standing out and looking like a sports car. Once the 4BW came out it didn’t take long to become obsessed. All the reviews gave praise to the features I was looking for in a fun car. My 4BW is painted midnight steel so I think that helps disguise it as well.

New Supra was way too small inside and felt claustrophobic. Couldn't even get to see the new Z. M2 was the closest contender but they wanted 20K over sticker - no thanks. Didn't look at anything else. Didn't want to pay 60K for a non-M 3-series (M340i) - plus they wanted markup on that - extra no thanks.

I found the new Z4 to be a little too firm a ride since I tested a non-adaptive suspension model. I found the 718 Boxster and Cayman GTS models to be a little too loud for me (I have some odd hearing issues/misophonia). The CT4 Blackwing kinda just hit everything right and the road noise is at a pitch that doesn't make me want to scream.

My brother ordered a new 2024 Mercedes Benz S-580 AMG. The car is over $150k and not even a top of the line luxury edition. They have told him that the car is now at the Baltimore shipping yard and is not allowed to be delivered to him. Mercedes has told him that the 2024's have not even been advertised yet and he can't take delivery until Mercedes Benz starts "releasing " the car for 2024. He must have one of the first production runs and was told that he may not get the car until November. When you go on the Mercedes-Benz website to build a car, they don't even have 2024 cars to build. If you even can find information on the 2024 S580, the images shown are 2023 models.

I was in the market for a manual transmission sedan to replace my Camaro and considered: M3 (lease only,) Golf R (lease only,) Elantra N, GR Corolla, Civic Type R, Integra Type S, CT5-V Blackwing and CT4-V Blackwing. After driving most of them, the Cadillac was the clear choice as a daily driver and HPDE vehicle. I wanted the keep the LT4 so I ordered a CT5, but when it came in I couldn't justify the price. In the end, the CT4 was the right choice for me at the time. I'll look at a used CT5 in a year or two to see how I feel. After driving them back to back, the CT4 felt more nible.

I found the new Z4 to be a little too firm a ride since I tested a non-adaptive suspension model. I found the 718 Boxster and Cayman GTS models to be a little too loud for me (I have some odd hearing issues/misophonia). The CT4 Blackwing kinda just hit everything right and the road noise is at a pitch that doesn't make me want to scream.

I had to look that up (misophonia). I suffer from it as well, although my manifestation is that sometimes when people talk, it makes me crazy and I just want to smack them. I may be stretching the definition a bit though... ;)

I mention this because your post struck a chord with me - I just loved driving the Cayman, but something about the acoustics in that car just drove me batty, and I couldn't consider it. The Z4 is, I concur, a brutal/stiff ride. Even the adaptive suspension is going to be very firm. Unnecessarily so, IMHO. I really like the looks of the Supra version of it, but I wonder how they tuned the suspension, if it's any better. These days it's impossible to find one to test drive.

Earlier this year, I upgraded my Focus RS to a 2022 CLA 45 AMG. I loved the RS, but wanted something a bit more comfortable and grown up, that also needed to be able to haul two kids around. I knew I wanted to get back into a sedan and out of the hatchback. When I was ready to upgrade the RS, I was cross shopping the AMG, the Audi RS3 and a Giulia Quadrifoglio (which I saw at the auto show several years back and fell in love with). I ultimately decided against the Alfa, due to RWD only and reliability concerns. I live in Illinois and need a 4 season car. I only wanted the newest gen RS3 which was pretty difficult to find, so I landed on the AMG.

The AMG is very impressive on paper, 0-60 in 4.0 seconds (sometimes under 4), 12.2 1/4 mile, and you can get over 30 MPG on the highway. I thought this would be the perfect car, and was my first automatic in 17 years. I have a 6 spd. Miata so thought if I needed to scratch that itch, the Miata was there. The problem is, I always seem to have the itch. The AMG is simply not as fun to drive as either the Miata or the Focus RS (amongst a few other things I won't get into), and I think I underestimated how important this was. I am always watching car review videos, and everyone raves about the CT4-V Blackwing. I'm not sure why the 4 BW wasn't initially on my radar, maybe it was a combination of the RWD and I honestly did not love the styling, mostly the back half. After seeing every review talk about it being one of the best cars, I had to see one for myself. After seeing it in person and experiencing the driving dynamics, I knew I wanted one. I did some research on winter performance and it seems like a good set of winter tires and I will be able to manage the winters, I always have the option of not driving if I don't need to as my work is flexible with in-office days.

I placed an order for a 6 spd. Black Raven 4 BW yesterday with tan interior, and I can't wait to get it. An expensive lesson to learn with the AMG (depreciation hit), but I'm hoping this car is as enjoyable to drive as my Miata (or nearly as enjoyable), with the benefit of comfort, luxury and practicality. While I don't consider myself overly patriotic, I do feel better about buying American (many fun Fords as my prior cars - Taurus SHO 5 spd; Fiesta ST spd, Focus RS 6spd). This will be my first GM product, and I'm excited to get more familiar with the platform and get that excitement back for my daily driver.

Can't wait to let the Bald Eagles sing!

Earlier this year, I upgraded my Focus RS to a 2022 CLA 45 AMG. I loved the RS, but wanted something a bit more comfortable and grown up, that also needed to be able to haul two kids around. I knew I wanted to get back into a sedan and out of the hatchback. When I was ready to upgrade the RS, I was cross shopping the AMG, the Audi RS3 and a Giulia Quadrifoglio (which I saw at the auto show several years back and fell in love with). I ultimately decided against the Alfa, due to RWD only and reliability concerns. I live in Illinois and need a 4 season car. I only wanted the newest gen RS3 which was pretty difficult to find, so I landed on the AMG.

The AMG is very impressive on paper, 0-60 in 4.0 seconds (sometimes under 4), 12.2 1/4 mile, and you can get over 30 MPG on the highway. I thought this would be the perfect car, and was my first automatic in 17 years. I have a 6 spd. Miata so thought if I needed to scratch that itch, the Miata was there. The problem is, I always seem to have the itch. The AMG is simply not as fun to drive as either the Miata or the Focus RS (amongst a few other things I won't get into), and I think I underestimated how important this was. I am always watching car review videos, and everyone raves about the CT4-V Blackwing. I'm not sure why the 4 BW wasn't initially on my radar, maybe it was a combination of the RWD and I honestly did not love the styling, mostly the back half. After seeing every review talk about it being one of the best cars, I had to see one for myself. After seeing it in person and experiencing the driving dynamics, I knew I wanted one. I did some research on winter performance and it seems like a good set of winter tires and I will be able to manage the winters, I always have the option of not driving if I don't need to as my work is flexible with in-office days.

I placed an order for a 6 spd. Black Raven 4 BW yesterday with tan interior, and I can't wait to get it. An expensive lesson to learn with the AMG (depreciation hit), but I'm hoping this car is as enjoyable to drive as my Miata (or nearly as enjoyable), with the benefit of comfort, luxury and practicality. While I don't consider myself overly patriotic, I do feel better about buying American (many fun Fords as my prior cars - Taurus SHO 5 spd; Fiesta ST spd, Focus RS 6spd). This will be my first GM product, and I'm excited to get more familiar with the platform and get that excitement back for my daily driver.

I have gone down a similar path already. I owned a couple Miata NDs, 2016 Club and then a 2021 GT, both 6 speed of course. Then I got the itch for a Camaro ZL1 and made the mistake of getting it with the A10 auto. Great car but not enough engagement for me. Furthermore, I found it was too fast to enjoy on the street and with no rowing of the gears I grew bored of it in less than a year. Traded it for a 4BW with M6 and don't regret it. I still think the Miata will be more fun on the street since it is only 2,300lbs, top goes down and you can keep your foot in it and wind out the gears more without risking your license. However, the 4BW checks more boxes as it relates to comfort, practicality and the shove in the seat you get from the extra power is nice. Both great. Best of luck.

Last edited:
The AMG is very impressive on paper, 0-60 in 4.0 seconds (sometimes under 4), 12.2 1/4 mile, and you can get over 30 MPG on the highway. I thought this would be the perfect car, and was my first automatic in 17 years
Same experience. I had a 2019 E53 AMG that looked good on paper and got good gas mileage, but the car was boring as hell. Going on over a year now with the 5BW (with 6M of course) and boring is nowhere in sight.

Last edited:
I have gone down a similar path already. I owned a couple Miata NDs, 2016 Club and then a 2021 GT, both 6 speed of course. Then I got the itch for a Camaro ZL1 and made the mistake of getting it with the A10 auto. Great car but not enough engagement for me. Furthermore, I found it was too fast to enjoy on the street and with no rowing of the gears I grew bored of it in less than a year. Traded it for a 4BW with M6 and don't regret it. I still think the Miata will be more fun on the street since it is only 2,300lbs, top goes down and you can keep your foot in it and wind out the gears more without risking your license. However, the 4BW checks more boxes as it relates to comfort, practicality and the shove in the seat you get from the extra power is nice. Both great. Best of luck.
Nice, I also have a ‘21 Miata GT with the soft top, it’s such a fun car when the weather is nice, and I’m glad you are enjoying the BW.
Where did you order from?
I ordered from Patrick Cadillac in Schaumburg, I have been working with Erin she has been great so far. I talked to the Cadillac in Naperville and they did not have any allocations. I also talked to Heritage and they said they could order me one but only seemed interested in selling me something from their inventory.

I'm surprised Naperville didn't have an allocation. They've claimed to be the top mid west seller many times. I don't know how Heritage has been able to build their inventory like they have.

How far down on the list are you?
Im not sure if there is a list. I specifically asked that question and was sent a build sheet with my build number. They also took my $1,000 deposit so I assume they have placed the order.

Im not sure if there is a list. I specifically asked that question and was sent a build sheet with my build number. They also took my $1,000 deposit so I assume they have placed the order.
FWIW, don't assume. Any dealer can put an order the system but they need to have an allocation. I had multiple orders from dealers with order numbers and then when allocations came up they skipped my order and took fully loaded $80k A10 builds, that are still sitting on the lots...

You want to get the status of your order an get confirmation it reaches 2000 status, which it means it has been accepted by GM and will be built. Many orders sit at 1100 status until the dealer has an allocation for your specific build. Sometimes there are constraints based on various options, color, transmission choice, etc.

See status codes here.

FWIW, don't assume. Any dealer can put an order the system but they need to have an allocation. I had multiple orders from dealers with order numbers and then when allocations came up they skipped my order and took fully loaded $80k A10 builds, that are still sitting on the lots...

You want to get the status of your order an get confirmation it reaches 2000 status, which it means it has been accepted by GM and will be built. Many orders sit at 1100 status until the dealer has an allocation for your specific build. Sometimes there are constraints based on various options, color, transmission choice, etc.

See status codes here.
Thanks for this, I went to that link which redirected me to cadillac.com where I initiated a chat and was able to check. They advised that the dealer has submitted the order but it has not been officially accepted by GM. I will check back with the dealer to ensure they have an allocation. I know they sold a 4 BW recently as I was going to look at it but someone put a deposit before it even hit their lot.

I've heard that Patrick had difficulty in getting allocations. I'm not sure if that has changed recently, but definitely worth a follow-up with your salesperson.

Look it's been the case with GM vehicles since the 70's or as long as I can remember the steering is hands down better than Fords. I think your going to like this setup and I hope you do!

Contact Dustin Callaway at Sewell Cadillac Dallas and see if he can help you out... He is the Blackwing king #1 sales in the nation.....

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back