Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

CT5-V Wind noise?

CT5-V Model

BimmerFan

Seasoned Member
V-Series Cadillac(s)?
CT5-V BW 6spd
I'm only at 300 miles on my new car, but I'm noticing wind noise at highway speeds. It sounds like a low fluttering, kind of like when you get a leaf stuck in the mirror housing or on a wiper blade. But there are no leaves. I can't find anything loose or sticking out around the window weather stripping or mirror (it sounds like it's coming from that area). Perhaps this is normal, from the design of the car, or is it just something that I'll need to learn to live with?

Is this on the driver side near the top of the front or side window and occurs above around 60mph. I’ve had a buzzing sound under these conditions and through observation it is created from airflow. There is a thread about this. There are several potential causes, but it appears to happen on certain cars as a result of the door alignment and airflow hitting the weatherstripping. It may also be caused by the front windshield or side mirror. When the weather gets cooler here I plan to do some taping around various areas to isolate the region.

Is this on the driver side near the top of the front or side window and occurs above around 60mph. I’ve had a buzzing sound under these conditions and through observation it is created from airflow. There is a thread about this. There are several potential causes, but it appears to happen on certain cars as a result of the door alignment and airflow hitting the weatherstripping. It may also be caused by the front windshield or side mirror. When the weather gets cooler here I plan to do some taping around various areas to isolate the region.

Yes, exactly.

The door appears to be aligned (in the sense that it closes easily) but if it's a common issue, then I'm not going to get too worked up over it. Thanks, Ducky.

Next time I'll do a search first (I'll do one now).

I am going to make an effort not to get worked-up over the faults on this car. It is, so far, just about exactly what I've always wanted (ride, comfort, performance, engagement, etc.) and so I'm going to overlook the crappy paint (it gets worse every time I look at it, LOL) or the archaic infotainment or whatever else my OCD gets fixated on.

RTMOP:

Next time I'll do a search first (I'll do one now).

Found it, thanks. Nice to see that I'm not the only one. Of course, that also likely means that none of us will get it fixed, since it's either "commercially acceptable" or "they all do that".

Like Ducky, I often try to fix things myself because a) it's a hassle going to the dealer and b) half the time they don't fix it and iii) the other half of the time, they break something else.

Since it's Friday and work is slow, here's a story for you. It's a true story. You can't make up this shit.

New BMW M2. $75K++ with a crapload of options.

Every time I use the navigation, the entire infotainment system crashes. It restarts, playing whatever song or station I was listening to 15 minutes ago, works for about 7 minutes and crashes.

So I make an appointment with the dealer. The service advisor says "there are some issues with iPhones."

I say, no, it's navigation, not bluetooth. She says, "yeah, the phone can cause issues."

I say no, I have a Samsung. That's not the problem.

"Unpair the phone and try it again."

I do that. Surprise! It's still crashing.

So I bring it in.

They say it's the phone. I say no, it's not. They can't replicate it because the tech can't be bothered to drive it for more than 7 minutes.

I bring it back, they reload the software for infotainment. Problem solved!

No, no, it's not. They didn't bother to test drive the car.

So I escalate it with BMW corporate, and after another service visit, they authorize a new infotainment system.

Problem solved. Now my USB ports don't work.

Back I go. Turns out, they forgot to plug in that harness when replacing the infotainment unit.

Then I complain about the steering. TLDR; three visits, factory engineer comes out, drives the car with me, says "oh!" and they replace the entire rack.

I'm driving home, and there's a horrendous noise that develops, and it gets worse when I turn. This is familiar from an incident that happened to me many years ago. I limp it home, carefully, and sure 'nuf, the lug bolts are loose. All of them, both front wheels. They never bothered to torque - heck, they were just hand tight!

Yes, that resulted in an angry email. Many apologies followed. I literally could have been killed.

A few days later, I notice that the active exhaust doesn't work any more. Back I go.

It seems that the tech forgot to connect the ground wire to the exhaust when he disconnected the battery. Why did he disconnect the battery to replace the rack? Because BMW. This, BTW, took two days to diagnose and fix.

And no, this is not why I bought a Cadillac. I bought the BW because it's a better driving experience. But in my 45+ years of car ownership, rarely has a service department been honest, capable and competent. Unfortunately.

Last edited:
From my experience with interior rattles and noises the dealers are useless. Here’s a true story about my previous AMG. The car had numerous interior rattles. For one in particular near the rear passenger side I have a service appointment. The tech gets in the car with me and we go for a 30m drive. I hear the rattles, but the tech doesn’t and then admits his hearing is not very good. WTF, they waste my time sending a hearing impaired guy out to diagnose a rattle issue.

Ended up taking every door panel apart and removing the rear headliner. I found the problem being a module in the roof in the back. Bottom line, rattles and noises are better diagnosed by the customer.

• Haha
Reactions: RKS
RTMOP:

Found it, thanks. Nice to see that I'm not the only one. Of course, that also likely means that none of us will get it fixed, since it's either "commercially acceptable" or "they all do that".

Like Ducky, I often try to fix things myself because a) it's a hassle going to the dealer and b) half the time they don't fix it and iii) the other half of the time, they break something else.

Since it's Friday and work is slow, here's a story for you. It's a true story. You can't make up this shit.

Every time I use the navigation, the entire infotainment system crashes. It restarts, playing whatever song or station I was listening to 15 minutes ago, works for about 7 minutes and crashes.

So I make an appointment with the dealer. The service advisor says "there are some issues with iPhones."

I say, no, it's navigation, not bluetooth. She says, "yeah, the phone can cause issues."

So I bring it in.

They say it's the phone. I say no, it's not. They can't replicate it because the tech can't be bothered to drive it for more than 7 minutes.

So I escalate it with BMW corporate, and after another service visit, they authorize a new infotainment system.

Back I go. Turns out, they forgot to plug in that harness when replacing the infotainment unit.

Then I complain about the steering. TLDR; three visits, factory engineer comes out, drives the car with me, says "oh!" and they replace the entire rack.

I'm driving home, and there's a horrendous noise that develops, and it gets worse when I turn. This is familiar from an incident that happened to me many years ago. I limp it home, carefully, and sure 'nuf, the lug bolts are loose. All of them, both front wheels. They never bothered to torque - heck, they were just hand tight!

Yes, that resulted in an angry email. Many apologies followed. I literally could have been killed.

A few days later, I notice that the active exhaust doesn't work any more. Back I go.

It seems that the tech forgot to connect the ground wire to the exhaust when he disconnected the battery. Why did he disconnect the battery to replace the rack? Because BMW. This, BTW, took two days to diagnose and fix.

And no, this is not why I bought a Cadillac. I bought the BW because it's a better driving experience. But in my 45+ years of car ownership, rarely has a service department been honest, capable and competent. Unfortunately.
This is exactly why I just learned to live with the interior of my old C63 rattling and buzzing. Dealers are just such a pain in the ass to deal with.

OK, the weather is cooler now, did you do this and were you able to identify the culprit?

OK, the weather is cooler now, did you do this and were you able to identify the culprit?
Not yet. I’ve been going to the gun range every free moment I get (with Jeep) and they have been paving the roads in my neighborhood for the last 4 weeeks. Finally on Thursday they finished. But a new observation, at a lower speed of around 50-55 with the window slightly open I hear a buzzing sound coming from the mirror area. So my first attempt is going to be to tape that up.

RTMOP:

So I bring it in.

This is a perfect reason not to buy a BMW.

Not yet. I’ve been going to the gun range every free moment I get (with Jeep) and they have been paving the roads in my neighborhood for the last 4 weeeks. Finally on Thursday they finished. But a new observation, at a lower speed of around 50-55 with the window slightly open I hear a buzzing sound coming from the mirror area. So my first attempt is going to be to tape that up.
I think it's the mirror, but I don't know what to do about it.

Thanks for reminding me that I need to go kill some paper.

Oh, I've got a list of them.
My local BMW dealer in Oregon would not process a warranty claim on a clutch and flywheel. There was a vibration in the clutch and at first the dealer said no problem, you are under warranty. The car was less than a year old with less than 10k miles on it. After they evaluated the car, they said you need a new clutch and flywheel which at the time was at a cost of $2,300 ( This was a awhile ago). I wasn't happy, but I had the repair done. I took the old parts and presented them to two different independent clutch/transmission shops and asked what was wrong with this clutch. In a few minutes, they both decided it was due to a manufacturing error in regards to the flywheel. It was out of round for a lack of a better term. I went back to the dealer and stated why this should be covered. The dealer said no. I opened a case with BMW of North American and had a representative get involved. The final decision was that the dealer would have to refund me the cost of the parts, but I had to pay the labor. This was not a good example of the quality of BMW parts or great customer service. I accepted the check for the parts and moved on. I have had other BMWs since I bought this car.

My brother bought a 2024 Mercedes Benz S580. Top of the line MB for over $150k. He only had it delivered in December after sitting in Port of Baltimore for 2 months. The car has spent 5 weeks in the dealership for a phantom check engine light. They say that they eventually replaced the cars main computer.......or they just unplugged the light !

Hopefully his S580 isn’t a rattle box like my AMG E53 was.

I think it's the mirror, but I don't know what to do about it.

Thanks for reminding me that I need to go kill some paper.
Are you guys talking about the side view mirror on the driver's side? If I crack my window open I don't hear anything except for wind noise and road and e gone 😄. Still not sure where the buzzing is coming from.

Are you guys talking about the side view mirror on the driver's side? If I crack my window open I don't hear anything except for wind noise and road and e gone 😄. Still not sure where the buzzing is coming from.
It only happens for me when I'm driving slow enough so that road and wind noise does not drown it out. Also the wind needs to be coming from a certain direction. This is pretty much the same thing I observed with the window up and higher speeds.

It only happens for me when I'm driving slow enough so that road and wind noise does not drown it out. Also the wind needs to be coming from a certain direction. This is pretty much the same thing I observed with the window up and higher speeds.
So you think it is driver side view mirror that's causing the buzzing sound?

So you think it is driver side view mirror that's causing the buzzing sound?
I’m not sure if it's the cause or a condition (meaning, airflow + mirror is the input to produce a vibration of something else). I wonder how hard it is to remove it.

Last edited:
I’m not sure if it's the cause or a condition (meaning, airflow + mirror is the input to produce a vibration of something else). I wonder how hard it is to remove it.
Throw a sock on it to modify the airflow and see what happens.

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back