Welcome to the Cadillac V-Series Forums!

Wet mode turns off traction control?

Revisiting this thread… I’d like to set up a wet street mode for my car. If I set up my V mode with subdued settings similar to touring and add wet PTM, would that give me the best wet road stability when I double tap the V button?

Would this be different from wet track mode?

Revisiting this thread… I’d like to set up a wet street mode for my car. If I set up my V mode with subdued settings similar to touring and add wet PTM, would that give me the best wet road stability when I double tap the V button?

Would this be different from wet track mode?
This is exactly what I use for wet weather driving. It's different from just scrolling to wet track mode on your wheel toggle because as you know V-mode allows you to alter all the other settings. Double tapping V-mode keeps those V-mode steering, brake, suspension etc. settings.

As per instructors at SM PTM wet mode is for wet track driving, but some here have used it for street driving. They basically said "use it at your discretion" 😁

I also like to keep PTM sport on and available quickly via the V button double tap but that seems force suspension setting to full stiff. Only way to prevent that seems to be adjusting to PTM sport via steering wheel toggle after putting it into V Mode. If I set PTM sport via V mode setting suspension defaults to full stiff. I don't want that for the street.

I also like to keep PTM sport on and available quickly via the V button double tap but that seems force suspension setting to full stiff. Only way to prevent that seems to be adjusting to PTM sport via steering wheel toggle after putting it into V Mode. If I set PTM sport via V mode setting suspension defaults to full stiff. I don't want that for the street.
That's the opposite of how it works in my car. When I double tap V-mode, it engages whatever PTM setting I have saved but maintains all the other V-mode settings.

That's the opposite of how it works in my car. When I double tap V-mode, it engages whatever PTM setting I have saved but maintains all the other V-mode settings.
Interesting..I find that it retains all the settings till I switch to PTM sport, then suspension jumps to full stiff. Up until PTM dry it retains all the settings

Interesting..I find that it retains all the settings till I switch to PTM sport, then suspension jumps to full stiff. Up until PTM dry it retains all the settings
Interesting! You might be right, I've never set my V-mode PTM to sport.

It doesnt really make sense to me why you would select a more aggressive traction setting when driving in the wet than just leaving it in the basic tour setting or even V mode with no PTM? Who is looking to drive aggressively in the rain with optimized wet corner exits on the street anyway? Seems like the best bet for slick roads is PTM inactive and let the standard system do its thing.

It doesnt really make sense to me why you would select a more aggressive traction setting when driving in the wet than just leaving it in the basic tour setting or even V mode with no PTM? Who is looking to drive aggressively in the rain with optimized wet corner exits on the street anyway? Seems like the best bet for slick roads is PTM inactive and let the standard system do its thing.
Try it. It will make sense.

I think the answer is that when the program senses slip in wet mode it very quickly but smoothly reduces power. The system seems to want specific settings for some parameters when you program it into V mode settings or else it won't let you add PTM. Now just waiting for a wet day to try it out.

In the rain I just use V mode with no PTM.... haven't tried PTM wet mode. PTM wet mode (since PTM is engaged) has less T/C dialed in vs no PTM mode I would think. PTM wet will have more traction control vs PTM dry or Sport of course...since it progressively reduces traction control kicking in. So on the street wouldn't it be better with no PTM in the wet?

In the rain I just use V mode with no PTM.... haven't tried PTM wet mode. PTM wet mode (since PTM is engaged) has less T/C dialed in vs no PTM mode I would think. PTM wet will have more traction control vs PTM dry or Sport of course...since it progressively reduces traction control kicking in. So on the street wouldn't it be better with no PTM in the wet?

Thats exactly what Im saying, the "P" in PTM is performance and the car telling you that you are heading into more dynamic territory by 1) giving you 2 amber traction lights and 2) not allowing you use cruise control in any PTM setting indicates to me that any PTM option, including Wet, is for maximizing performance when pushing the car...somethign I see zero point in doing on the street in adverse weather

PTM inactive and letting the normal nanny's do their thing makes the most sense here and if you have very slick roads then the Snow/Ice driving mode is where Id be.

Re-posting a couple of handy charts that someone else posted a while back. Apologies for not giving proper credit.

1682013519242.png

EDIT: I see this was already posted in prior page. Credit to @MatthewAMEL

I think the answer is that when the program senses slip in wet mode it very quickly but smoothly reduces power. The system seems to want specific settings for some parameters when you program it into V mode settings or else it won't let you add PTM. Now just waiting for a wet day to try it out.
LOL, again. . . ya'll need to learn about these cars more (ie drive them!). There is nothing smooth about it when it shuts down power and slows wheel spin (traction control) to help you gain traction in Wet and even more so if you throw it into Snow/Ice mode. It is made to help you get the power down in most surface conditions.

For those that have gone to the V-Academy figure 8 session, they have experienced this on both extremes. They go full traction/stabilitrac OFF so you can slide it around the 8's. Then they throw you in Snow Ice mode and tell you to try to slide it....and chunk chunk chunk traction into the turn.

You’re probably right… I was basing my (clearly erroneous) assumptions on this thread, a related thread, and in particular the video of the Corvette going through the figure eight and mashing the throttle in the different PTM modes. The wet PTM greatly reduced slip by modulating power level… driver made it look smooth anyway.

My question was whether adding PTM to V mode was different from adding PTM in track mode, and whether wet PTM in V mode was recommended for driving on wet roads.

Wet PTM mode was designed for wet track usage not we street usage. That being said like others I find the aggressive TC when not using any PTM to be very intrusive and sometimes more dangerous as not using it at all especially when conditions are good. To each their own everyone should do what they are comfortable with. When it is cold and/or wet out I do tend to leave PTM off.

Wet PTM mode was designed for wet track usage.

But it’s also available in V mode. Are you saying V mode is the same as track mode?

Regardless… what is the best mode to be in if you’re driving on a wet street or highway and happen to give the car a bit too much throttle going around a turn?

Win 2 Supercharged Cadillacs!

Win both supercharged Cadillac Vs!

Supporting Vendors

Delaware Cadillac

Exhibitions of Speed

Signature Wheels

Taput Tunning LLC

V-Series Marketplace

Advertise with the Cadillac V-Net!

Torque Shop

Our Partners

Back